Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

If we take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round...

Who would you want it to be?

Right now I'm really liking what I see out of Brett Hundley. His athleticism compliments a Kubiak offense quite well. He's got great arm talent and all the measurables, including the largest hands of this year's QB class, plus he seems like a confident self-possessed guy who could lead a team when it's his time to step in and play.

Sean Mannion, Oregon State

Good height and build, inconsistent but flashes real potential, played with a poor OL and lack of weapons, has a good arm, had a very good pro day, footwork is good, needs a quicker release and to make better decisions more often, mobility limited but can escape pressure, will give his receivers a chance, shows good leadership, struggled against some good teams but had a poor surrounding cast.

All QB's have question marks but I think he has the tools to work with, his OL was absolutely killed last season and he had no receivers that could get open. I like his footwork and how he hangs tough in the pocket.

This Stanford game was a good example of his play, against a good team. He was up and down but in between his OL getting butchered and the dropped passes when he got time he delivered some nice balls and has a good throwing motion. I thought he showed great leadership and refused to blame his supporting cast.

For me it is Garrett Grayson out of CSU. A little on the small size at 6'2", 213, but he is my favorite QB for the offense we are expected to run. Basically I see him as a stronger armed, more polished, and less reckless version of Jake Plummer. Plummer obviously had a great deal of success in Kubiak's offense. He comes from a pro-style offense, has NFL ready footwork, and is an underrated athlete (ran a 4.72 40 yard dash and was a dual threat recruit out of high school).

I think if he had played in the PAC-12 or SEC he would be a lock for the first round. He didn't have near the talent around him that Winston, Hundley, and Mariota had, and didn't play in the stat inflating offense that Petty thrived in. Unfortunately I think it is unlikely he makes it to our second round pick. I could see the Titans, Jets, Eagles, Chargers, Redskins, Bears, or Browns take him in round two.

Personally, I would wait until next year. However, if I had to pick one, I'd go with Hundley. He strikes me as a Ryan Tannehill type QB. He can move, but he's a passer first. Sitting a year behind Peyton could help him learn how to read defenses and whatnot.

As for the picks above mine... I like Hundley a lot too, but there is just something missing there that I can't put my finger on. Someone with his physical skill set would be tough to pass on at the end of round two.

Manion on the other hand I am not a big fan of. I think his arm is severely overrated. For someone his size you expect a big arm, but for him to throw deep he needs to put his whole body into the throw. Something he will rarely have time to do in the NFL. What really concerns me is his ball security threw 54 INT's and fumbled the ball 30 times in his career at Oregon State. When he doesn't have a clean pocket it can be ugly. When I watched his cut ups from last season I had Kyle Orton flashbacks. Would prefer to stick with Dysert rather than drafting Mannion.

I like Garrett Grayson if he is still there in the 3rd, which I doubt but if he was I think it would be wise to take him.
    I don't like Hundley, I agree with Den615 something is missing ... probably accuracy. I think he should have been a lot better at UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I don't like Hundley, I agree with Den615 something is missing ... probably accuracy.
    I know it's only a drill, but Hundley and Mannion were the only QBs on this season of Game Changers to not miss a throw on the drill with the three-numbered net. Winston, Mariota and Petty all missed throws.

As emotionally fragile Brock has shown to be with not playing as much....pretty sure drafting a QB would just crush him. I say wait on QB till next year. I also disagree with the argument that Hundley is the type of QB Kubiak likes. He definitely isn't the type of QB Elway likes. Elway likes them tall with big arms.
    New England Patriots GM

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    As emotionally fragile Brock has shown to be with not playing as much....pretty sure drafting a QB would just crush him. I say wait on QB till next year. I also disagree with the argument that Hundley is the type of QB Kubiak likes. He definitely isn't the type of QB Elway likes. Elway likes them tall with big arms.
    When has he shown this. I have only seen him do what his team has asked of him and not complain while doing it. I remeber when he was told he was going to play and PFM went on the field ahead of him and you could see the disappointment on his face, the same as any other player who wants to play would've had. Please tell me when he has been emotionally fragile. I would like to see this for myself cause I have seen the opposite. It can't be easy doing what he has for as long as he has and keeping a good attitude about it. Personally, I think he has done well with it.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

The problem is that the large majority of people didn't like him in college so they still don't because we haven't seen much of him.

Will be interesting to see what happens next off season when his contracts up

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    Thats a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    The problem is that the large majority of people didn't like him in college so they still don't because we haven't seen much of him.

Will be interesting to see what happens next off season when his contracts up

Agreed. While I understand this is a thread about draft eligible QB's this year, the Broncos most likely option remains re-signing Osweiler. Could very well be their best option as well. As much as I like the potential of Grayson in this offense, Brock's skill set fits it pretty perfectly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Den615 View Post
    Agreed. While I understand this is a thread about draft eligible QB's this year, the Broncos most likely option remains re-signing Osweiler. Could very well be their best option as well. As much as I like the potential of Grayson in this offense, Brock's skill set fits it pretty perfectly as well.
    we have no idea bout that until we see him play.......

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    we have no idea bout that until we see him play.......
    I'm talking purely from an athletic standpoint. He has the athleticism and plus arm strength to thrive in the offense. There was an interesting interview with Jake Plummer (who probably has a bit of a bias for ASU players, but still) saying that playing in Kubiak's offense would be outstanding for Brock's career.

Lets not turn this into a thread on Osweiler. This is about which 2nd/3rd round prospects you like this year.

I also like Blake Sims from Alabama as a late round pick. Always a good idea to take a QB at some point IMO