Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft grade

Draft grade

I'll give Denver a solid B. We filled some holes and got an elite prospect in Shane Ray. Garcia and Sambrailo both seem like solid, versatile linemen. I also like Heuerman as a tough, blocking TE who can grow as a receiver. As far as the 3 DBs we drafted, they will at least add some depth. I don't really have an opinion either way on Kilgo or Siemian. Anyway, thoughts?

Right now I'm at a B+

Yet another "meh" draft. What is it with Elway not drafting or signing a MLB, drives me insane. This draft had a few real good ones in it, but yet again we neglect it.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Yet another "meh" draft. What is it with Elway not drafting or signing a MLB, drives me insane. This draft had a few real good ones in it, but yet again we neglect it.
    I actually thought it was a very weak ILB draft class and they got better players at bigger positions of need than where some of the ILB were taken. I do think they could have used one of their 7th round picks on Taiwan Jones though.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I actually thought it was a very weak ILB draft class and they got better players at bigger positions of need than where some of the ILB were taken. I do think they could have used one of their 7th round picks on Taiwan Jones though.
    After Denver released Quanterus Smith, they had fifteen Backers. Now they have seventeen if Ray is counted as an OLB. They are four deep at Inside Backer unless Zaire Anderson is going to rep there. Three of those were rookies last year. The NFL only drafted a dozen Inside Backers which supports your point.
    Last edited by samparnell; 05-03-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I still am not sure what opinion I have. Since 2013 the draft selections have been underwhelming overall with some standouts. I understand a lot of the picks, but question Elway's opinions about BPA's as he is beginning to build a track record of misses. It seems as if he gets a couple players each year and the rest fade away. I hope more than a couple of these picks work out, but if not, I hope he changes his approach next season.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

Drafting two Corners late might lend some credence to reports that Bradley Roby and/or Kayvon Webster would be tried as Safeties. Adding two Corners gives nine while the only Safety added was the last guy picked (Furman/SS) for seven of those.

The NFL only drafted eight Free Safeties, so it was a weak class at that position. SS was apparently considered weaker as only seven of those were chosen, not counting Josh Furman whom Denver will try at SS. Doss was drafted right about where some draft boards placed him, in the fifth round.

Prior to the draft, Denver was two deep on the DL. They added Darius Kilgo and two UDFAs in Watson and Ndulue. It seems unlikely they will make the roster, but you never know. All the draft picks and UDFAs seem well scouted. Denver has succeeded in finding good players overlooked by other teams. I hope the tape of Kilgo against Iowa is indicative of what Bill Kollar has to work with. He had a good game against Iowa.

Trevor Siemian seems like a necessary fourth thrower for TC.

I like the first four picks a lot. Moving up to get Shane Ray was bold and decisive. The O-Line and TE positions were addressed with very good prospects. The TE class was thought to be weak prior to the draft, but the NFL took eighteen of them, Heuerman being the fourth in that group. It seems that Sambrailo was the best Tackle prospect available at #59. Max Garcia has some intangible qualities that translate well to the field.

Kubiak and Elway said some things in their press conference that were interesting. They are looking for tough players who have a good enough football I.Q. to come in and challenge for a roster spot instantly. Those qualities are usually detectable only with human contact. Elway praised the work of his college scouts.
    Last edited by samparnell; 05-03-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

C+

They addressed the right needs early but I'm not sold on the prospects.

I liked the Ray pick and I'm fine with the Heuerman pick, but the OL confuse me.

Sambrailo was someone I didn't like coming in. Heard a bunch of bad things about him like weak, short arms, and questionable character.

And doesn't Garcia have horrible agility drill numbers? Can that work in this scheme?

And will anybody past the fourth round have any impact?

Just a very blah draft for me overall. I hope I'm wrong.

I give them a D-

I wasn't a fan of Ray but I'm actually happy with the direction Elway went with here. I love the trade.

I don't believe Ty should be a year one starter and felt like we could have gotten him a round later.

Heuerman is a luxury pick. I believe he's the best player we drafted, but he won't play outside of special teams and goal line package this year.

Garcia is a bad pick. He doesn't fit a zone scheme. He is versatile so I see him as depth along many positions with no upside for us.

Our 5th round corner suggests that one of Kayvon or Roby will be tried at free safety which I support, while our pick himself looks like a scrappy ball hawk. Good value.

Furman is the only person worth taking about this late. I think he has the best shot at making the roster among the people he was drafted around.

UDFAs seem like nothing special to this point. I don't like the practice of bringing in just a camp body.

Teams are going to run on the Broncos between the tackles. The ILB choices may have been weak, but the NT's were not and we addressed that with a 6th. I could understand a 6th had we a run-stuffing ILB, but we do not. We are small up the middle and teams like GB are going to pound Lacy at us successfully all day long. We could have taken Carl Davis in the 2nd and Sambailo or Clemmings in the 3rd. There are 5 or 6 TE's on the roster and I do not understand why it took priority over replacing Knighton.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

My first impression of the draft is also a solid B.

Broncos added some talented players to work with. Considering they are picking near the end of every round I think Elway did a solid job. I find the NFL draft grade articles kind of funny. I would hope teams picking top five every round can have "A" quality drafts. IMO the Broncos draft compares favorably with their peers near the end of every round. That is all that matters, isn't it?

I thought the top 4 picks are solid. All should contribute this year IMO. I especially like the Heuerman pick. I think he will not only earn some mpg, I think he could be a real impact player at TE.

The last 5 picks were interesting. Honestly the most intriguing to me is Furman. Athletic and fast player for depth at safety. Would not be surprised to see him make the roster if his scouting report is even close to legitimate.

I give it a B-

Denver added good players, and IMO hit every round like it was supposed to, but that doesn't warrant an A imo. Which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't warrant an A. The minus is just me being salty watching guys I like slip off the board right before us.

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    I give them a D-

I wasn't a fan of Ray but I'm actually happy with the direction Elway went with here. I love the trade.

I don't believe Ty should be a year one starter and felt like we could have gotten him a round later.

Heuerman is a luxury pick. I believe he's the best player we drafted, but he won't play outside of special teams and goal line package this year.

Garcia is a bad pick. He doesn't fit a zone scheme. He is versatile so I see him as depth along many positions with no upside for us.

Our 5th round corner suggests that one of Kayvon or Roby will be tried at free safety which I support, while our pick himself looks like a scrappy ball hawk. Good value.

Furman is the only person worth taking about this late. I think he has the best shot at making the roster among the people he was drafted around.

UDFAs seem like nothing special to this point. I don't like the practice of bringing in just a camp body.
    Disagree. That was a great pick. He is a powerful blocker who can control the middle of the LoS and has experience at multiple positions. He was an ideal 4th round pick. Davis Tull I might have liked as well at that pick but at the bottom of the 4th round finding a starter gets pretty difficult and he very well might start for us this season.

Can we start with one ground rule: Instead of folks saying this is too early to discuss, and that we do not know the impact of a draft for several years at least....that we just ignore all that and go with the discussion proposed. And that is, what is our gut feeling if we had to make an assessment? Sure, it's too early to know, but it's fun to speculate, and after all, many of the experts do the same thing. So, with that being said, here's my "opinion:

I give it a B-. I loved the Ray pick, but there are risks involved. Then again, if you can get a top 5 player at 28, and not sell the farm, I'm cool with it. I am not sure I know enough about Sambailo, and that bothers me a bit, given we needed a 2nd round Oliner who can start. The position was smart, but not sure about the actual player. I like the Heuerman selection, and it helped to hear Charles Davis (of NFL Network) rave about the pick. And Garcia, if he can dent the first year lineup, was another good positional maneuver. Not sure about the rest of the draft. If one of the last picks makes an impact, it's a bonus.

There is a chance that this will become an A type draft if Ray continues to excel at The NFL level, and our Oline picks respond positively. Heuerman may become a stud, so we'll watch him closely. The downside would be if Ray has any off the field issues, and our Oliners become marginal NFLers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Teams are going to run on the Broncos between the tackles. The ILB choices may have been weak, but the NT's were not and we addressed that with a 6th. I could understand a 6th had we a run-stuffing ILB, but we do not. We are small up the middle and teams like GB are going to pound Lacy at us successfully all day long. We could have taken Carl Davis in the 2nd and Sambailo or Clemmings in the 3rd. There are 5 or 6 TE's on the roster and I do not understand why it took priority over replacing Knighton.
    There were very few NT in the draft that would have been an upgrade over Sly or Austin available when we were picking. Jordan Phillips and Carl davis are two of them, imo, however, RT was probably a bigger need so I am ok with passing on them to get the RT the FO thinks can fill the hole in the 2nd round. Maybe they were hoping Davis would fall to them in the 3rd, he almost did, but I think they should have moved up to grab him ahead of the Ravens if they could.

We will just have to hope Sly or Austin step up and play well. I do think that Heuerman will be a good player for us in this scheme. Many people are saying it's a poor draft outside of Ray, some even don't like that pick, but I see 3 starters, 4 if Ty is better than I think, and getting 2 starters is the goal and about all you can really expect out of any draft.