Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 831

Thread: The NBA Finals

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,976

    The NBA Finals




    The wait is finally over.


    GO CAVS!!
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,761
    I know we have talked it up for a week in here. But I'm not going to lie. The 7 day layoff kind of killed some of my excitement for the series.

    NBA should've moved it up to Monday.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,976
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I know we have talked it up for a week in here. But I'm not going to lie. The 7 day layoff kind of killed some of my excitement for the series.

    NBA should've moved it up to Monday.
    I think the excitement is still there for us Cavs fans, and for the Warriors fans. The layoff was too much, and most definitely is something the NBA needs to look at going forward. Overall I think if it's a good competitive game tonight the excitement will be there for the casual fan. I think the finals will do decent numbers ratings wise. 9 hours away, can't wait.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,761
    Yeah I agree for fans of the teams. Just saying for neutral fans it's a bit of a buzzkill.

    And I agree it won't suffer a ratings drop. It's more of a loss of excitement leading up to it. But once it's going it will be big.

    Good luck even though I'm pulling for the Warriors.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,976
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Yeah I agree for fans of the teams. Just saying for neutral fans it's a bit of a buzzkill.

    And I agree it won't suffer a ratings drop. It's more of a loss of excitement leading up to it. But once it's going it will be big.

    Good luck even though I'm pulling for the Warriors.
    Thanks man. It would be huge for the city of Cleveland, and the state of Ohio if the Cavs pull this off. I wouldn't be too let down if they lose, happy they made it after the turbulent season. I can still fall back on the Buckeyes, and Broncos.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,761
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Thanks man. It would be huge for the city of Cleveland, and the state of Ohio if the Cavs pull this off. I wouldn't be too let down if they lose, happy they made it after the turbulent season. I can still fall back on the Buckeyes, and Broncos.
    Just wish we could say we could fall back on the Broncos for a ring.

    If the Cavs win the title then the Browns should just move to a new state. Because they'll never be first fiddle over a champion. Not that they are now anyway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,976
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Just wish we could say we could fall back on the Broncos for a ring.

    If the Cavs win the title then the Browns should just move to a new state. Because they'll never be first fiddle over a champion. Not that they are now anyway.
    It would be sweet if the Broncos could grab another ring in the near future. I guess the longer we go without the more I appreciate the two I was able to watch us get, especially after what we went through in the 80's. As far as the Browns, man, I honestly thought they'd get better with the new owner, but it's the same old disfunctional stuff.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,976
    Both teams are averaging about 30 3point attempts per game. Something gotta give. I hope the Cavs keep Shump on Steph as much as possible.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,761
    Quote Originally Posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Both teams are averaging about 30 3point attempts per game. Something gotta give. I hope the Cavs keep Shump on Steph as much as possible.
    ESPN did an article yesterday about how much the 3 pt game has evolved since it first was implemented. I didn't read it but it was saying something about how teams used to resist trying it and it's evolved to where some teams try to shoot it all game.

    And it was saying how it's impacting the finals basically to what you just said. Both teams shoot a ton of 3's.

    Personally I've always sort of thought the 3 ball was stupid even if I like when my team is on fire from downtown.

    I understand it gives smaller teams a chance to still get shots off and stay in the game.

    But it's such a big gap in % 3 pointers made to 2 pointers made. That if a team took all two pointers they are likely to catch up faster than with the low % three's.

    I get if you are on fire and hitting like 70% you can rally back fast. But so many times I see a team hit 1 three pointer in 4 trips trying to come back. When they could've made 3 high percentage 2 point baskets in 4 trips. And gotten double the points.

    Just seems like having 3 balls has made teams more desperate and actually lower their chances of a come back.

    Anyways it is what it is and is part of the game. And both these teams shoot the 3 well so it likely won't hurt them. Should be an interesting finals.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,522
    Rise of the three ball is a combination of things, IMO.

    1. Less emphasis in developing young post players. Very few players who come into the league these days bring an NBA effective post game with them. The players who stick develop their games and evolve, but players who haven't done it their entire lives are less likely to learn it in the NBA. This leads to lower percentage shooting on the interior. Fewer teams can run their offenses efficiently through the post. The days of simply dumping the ball down, getting out of the way, and shooting a high percentage are going away.

    2. Emergence of the perimeter shooting 4 and 5. You never saw a power forward shoot threes twenty years ago. You never saw a center shooting threes ten years ago. In recent years these players have expanded their range more and more, playing further away from the basket.

    3. Zone Defense. With the implementation of the zone defense, teams have been given additional means to defend the paint. Because of this, it's more difficult now to lean on a post playing center or forward offensively, as it helps to deny post entry passes and play help defense without having to rely as much on defensive rotations. Also, nothing kills a zone faster than perimeter ball movement and a good three ball shooter.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,976
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    ESPN did an article yesterday about how much the 3 pt game has evolved since it first was implemented. I didn't read it but it was saying something about how teams used to resist trying it and it's evolved to where some teams try to shoot it all game.

    And it was saying how it's impacting the finals basically to what you just said. Both teams shoot a ton of 3's.

    Personally I've always sort of thought the 3 ball was stupid even if I like when my team is on fire from downtown.

    I understand it gives smaller teams a chance to still get shots off and stay in the game.

    But it's such a big gap in % 3 pointers made to 2 pointers made. That if a team took all two pointers they are likely to catch up faster than with the low % three's.

    I get if you are on fire and hitting like 70% you can rally back fast. But so many times I see a team hit 1 three pointer in 4 trips trying to come back. When they could've made 3 high percentage 2 point baskets in 4 trips. And gotten double the points.

    Just seems like having 3 balls has made teams more desperate and actually lower their chances of a come back.

    Anyways it is what it is and is part of the game. And both these teams shoot the 3 well so it likely won't hurt them. Should be an interesting finals.
    They both shoot high volume, and both a decent %, aside from Bron. I guess you could look at it as which ever team shoots the 3 better wins the series. The Cavs can't depend on the Warriors going cold, they haven't all season. The Cavs have to make the Warriors take low % shots, and the Cavs have played really good defense in the playoffs. When the Cavs beat the Warriors in the regular season Curry had one of his worst shooting performances of the season.

    Can't depend on that in this series, Shump has to stay with him, use his length, the Cavs are either gonna have to get around them picks quick, or switch quick, cause it doesn't take but a split second for the splash brother to pull the trigger, and they are accurate.

    Man, I'm interested in every matchup, from the centers to the point guards, I don't expect much from Kyrie defensively, but he has to make up for it on the offensive side.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    8,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Rise of the three ball is a combination of things, IMO.

    1. Less emphasis in developing young post players. Very few players who come into the league these days bring an NBA effective post game with them. The players who stick develop their games and evolve, but players who haven't done it their entire lives are less likely to learn it in the NBA. This leads to lower percentage shooting on the interior. Fewer teams can run their offenses efficiently through the post. The days of simply dumping the ball down, getting out of the way, and shooting a high percentage are going away.

    2. Emergence of the perimeter shooting 4 and 5. You never saw a power forward shoot threes twenty years ago. You never saw a center shooting threes ten years ago. In recent years these players have expanded their range more and more, playing further away from the basket.

    3. Zone Defense. With the implementation of the zone defense, teams have been given additional means to defend the paint. Because of this, it's more difficult now to lean on a post playing center or forward offensively, as it helps to deny post entry passes and play help defense without having to rely as much on defensive rotations. Also, nothing kills a zone faster than perimeter ball movement and a good three ball shooter.

    Well said, and I like the fact that the one player imo that can consistently get to the basket is Lebron on either team, that's advantage Cleveland.
    Dread it.Run from it.
    Destiny arrives all the same.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,761
    I completely agree with both of you.

    I'll add to the zone defense comment by Spice that it doesn't just allow them to play better paint defense. But like you said it tends to make very weak perimeter defenses. So teams take what's open. What I hate though is when a player stops on a 1 on 1 break and launches a 3 instead of driving to the rim.

    But even with good shooting teams I agree with Spice that if they players quit shooting 3's and working on their post game there would be no need for the 3.

    I mean look at Kentucky. They nearly won the tournament going through Townes in the post. He was unstoppable.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,522
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    I completely agree with both of you.

    I'll add to the zone defense comment by Spice that it doesn't just allow them to play better paint defense. But like you said it tends to make very weak perimeter defenses. So teams take what's open. What I hate though is when a player stops on a 1 on 1 break and launches a 3 instead of driving to the rim.

    But even with good shooting teams I agree with Spice that if they players quit shooting 3's and working on their post game there would be no need for the 3.

    I mean look at Kentucky. They nearly won the tournament going through Townes in the post. He was unstoppable.
    He's a can't miss, I think. Whoever drafts him is going to be happy.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    He's a can't miss, I think. Whoever drafts him is going to be happy.
    I feel like that's the case too. But I remember a time when people thought Odens post game was unstoppable as well.

    Also Elway as much as I dislike Lebron I don't think many haters can honestly argue against Lebron getting to the rim better than anyone in the league.

    It's an unrivaled combination of size, power with a kyrie irving style quickness/ball skill. Most guys his size can't come close to handling the ball so well.

    Really most of us (at least people I know) bash Lebron for how often he has choked compared to MJ. But later in his career he has closed the gap significantly. But I've never really honestly questioned the talent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •