I am optimistic about the 49ers defense

How well the team will do, I'm not sure about that, offense looks like a big problem. However, on the defensive side I'm hopeful. I think they will finish top 10, maybe even top 5.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/...d-8c4d7d9593e3

What Mangini said in this article I think touches on something very key, defensive philosophy. This is a big reason why I think the Niners defense will still be fine, I trust in Mangini.

Often times, we notice a defense suffer a lot of injuries, and still seemingly field a top defense. Either that, or a defense that even when healthy, does not appear to be very good on paper. Yet, they end up being successful. For awhile, we saw it with the Cardinals, up until injuries eventually became too much. The 49ers themselves did this last year. Offense was their big issue, not defense, their defense I believe was top 5 despite injuries.

I think a big key in doing this could be forcing an offense to make post snap decisions. Many offenses are very good at finding favorable match ups for their players. The QB makes reads, finds where they are, and take those match ups, and if things go as planned they are able to prepare for it, which ups their odds of being successful. In truth, if a defense is unable to force an offense to make post snap decisions, their chances of performing well against a good offense are slim. However, if they are able to confuse an offense my mixing up their schemes, and making them adjust post snap, their chances go up drastically.

I think this is a big key in how the 49ers have played teams with great QBs so well in recent years. 4-0 vs the Packers, and 3-1 vs the Saints since 2011. Defensively, forcing those QBs to make post snap adjustments has been what has caused them to do so well, and especially against the Saints, create turnovers. They seem to be good at forcing teams to make those adjustments.

I have good hopes for the 49ers defense, and maybe....just maybe, that could be enough for them to have a good season. It should be noted that despite injuries, the 49ers DEFENSE was actually pretty good last year. I believe they are only the 2nd team in history to win a game despite giving up THREE non offensive TDs, shutting out Philly's offense in that game.

From what I read Bowman looks like he's back to his old self.

So that's good. I can't get over that teams off season

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    From what I read Bowman looks like he's back to his old self.

So that's good. I can't get over that teams off season
    That would definitely help. Bowman could be a big part of making this happen. He may be the best run defense LB in the NFL, and seems to have a knack for locating the ball. Plus, having a 'QB of the defense' back in the game could be key, it could lead to more recognizing of things the offense does, which is helpful in executing the plan of adjusting to confuse the offense.

With all the injuries they had last year plus the retirements it really is wait and see time in SF. Replacing six starters, plus three more coming off of injury might be to tough to overcome in one offseason.

Hopefully SF just goes back to sucking