Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The 1970s, when the Denver Broncos were in the process of becoming a winning team, coincided with my annual trips to the Bay area for a couple of months of active duty in the Coast Guard. In that setting, I was an unapologetic Bronco supporter. I will always remember the cool and classy way Raiders fans treated me back in those days. They loved the "Snake".

The Oakland Raiders were the yardstick against which the Broncos were measuring themselves. Many only know of Al Davis' last years as the Raiders owner. In the '70s, he was a successful maverick, and the guy who engineered the full merger of the AFL and the NFL. He was a worthy opponent as were John Madden and Ken Stabler and the whole Raider organization.

Denver and Oakland mixed it up quite a bit in the '70s. When Denver beat Oakland in the 1977 AFCCG in Mile High Stadium, most of the Raiders showed great sportsmanship and sincerely wished the Broncos good luck in the Super Bowl. I think the Denver-Oakland rivalry really began in earnest during the '70s, and the Snake was guy we had to beat.

Requiescat in pace, Ken Stabler.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

He was a pain in the ass to play against because he was so darn good as was the rest of the Raider team back then. It was totally amazing when Denver went into Oakland early in the 1977 season and whacked them 30-7, and intercepted Stabler 7 times which is unheard of, but what did he do? He bounced right back, and beat Denver in Denver a few weeks later. He was just a tough competitor who yes maybe was a good old' party boy but he always showed up for the game on Sundays.

R.I.P. you old son of a gun, and thanks for the great memories.....

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Sad to hear, he was my first favorite QB when I was a kid. Talk about a QB that could pull out wins in the last minutes ... he was amazing.
    Even though I am a Colorado native and the Broncos are my favorite team... Stabler, Biletnikoff and the Raiders were my favorite players/team in the 70's.
    I too was a big fan of Kenny Stabler. He was the coolest of the cool, and watching him throw that ball was a treat.

Thanks for the memories, and may you find that better place.

RIP Ken! Though I was not a Raider fan he was great to watch.

Condolences to Raider Nation.
    The Bronco fan pledge;
    I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
    I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
    I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
    I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
    Bronco's Country.

***2015 Adopt a Bronco is Chris Harris, Jr.***

2013 Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan, SecondsAway131, and JWinn.

Sorry to hear this Raider Nation, I know this is hard for you guys and gals. He was truly a Raider Legend. Thoughts and prayers go out to all of you and his family.

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Much much appreciate the condolences from this great forum and the Denver Broncos. Salute.