Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Green Chili Recipe?

Hey you guys I have a question for those from Denver. I took a vacation last year to Denver to see my first Broncos game (Im from Akron, OH) and the one thing I noticed is holy hell how you guys love your burritos lol. There are burrito spots everywhere out there and it kinda caught me by suprise. So naturally after consuming 15 different burritos they all had green chili sauce on them and it was great

We then went to tailgate for the game and the people we went with that were from Denver has Green Chili that was poured over tater tots with shredded cheese and man oh man was it some of the greatest talegate food I have ever had. It was such a great change of pace from the traditional burgers/sausage/chili we have here for Browns games.

I have asked around here with people I know and almost nobody knows anything about green chili here and you cant even buy it pre packaged in most stores around here.

I was wondering if some of you guys can give me a good green chile recipe that I can make in a crock pot (Im a 26 year old recent college grad so i am far from a chef). I do like spicy food too so I was seeing if you could also put some chopped Jalapenos in it too because I am trying to re-create the tater tot/green chili/cheese dish we had out in Denver.

If anybody has a good, but simple crock pot green chili recipe for me that would be much appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChampPik4Six View Post
    Hey you guys I have a question for those from Denver. I took a vacation last year to Denver to see my first Broncos game (Im from Akron, OH) and the one thing I noticed is holy hell how you guys love your burritos lol. There are burrito spots everywhere out there and it kinda caught me by suprise. So naturally after consuming 15 different burritos they all had green chili sauce on them and it was great

We then went to tailgate for the game and the people we went with that were from Denver has Green Chili that was poured over tater tots with shredded cheese and man oh man was it some of the greatest talegate food I have ever had. It was such a great change of pace from the traditional burgers/sausage/chili we have here for Browns games.

I have asked around here with people I know and almost nobody knows anything about green chili here and you cant even buy it pre packaged in most stores around here.

I was wondering if some of you guys can give me a good green chile recipe that I can make in a crock pot (Im a 26 year old recent college grad so i am far from a chef). I do like spicy food too so I was seeing if you could also put some chopped Jalapenos in it too because I am trying to re-create the tater tot/green chili/cheese dish we had out in Denver.

If anybody has a good, but simple crock pot green chili recipe for me that would be much appreciated!!
    You and I are very similar it seems haha, but crockpot green chile is one thing I have down when it comes to cooking. so here you go!

Ingredients
    2lb pork roast
    1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced (you can buy preminced garlic though it is pretty easy to do by yourself.
    4 (4 oz) can diced green chiles (i use 3 hot 1 mild)
    2 anaheim chilis, seeds removed and chopped
    1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and chopped
    1-4 jalapeńo peppers, diced (Depending on spice wanted, start with 2 and go up from there the next time you make it)
    2 cups chicken broth (I usually just fill the crock pot up as some will evaporate off.
    1 (8oz) can of diced tomatoes
    1 teaspoon oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    ˝ teaspoon cumin
    ˝ teaspoon sage
    ˝ teaspoon paprika
    ˝ teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions
    Pull out your crockpot.
    Place your pork roast in the crockpot and place all the veggies around it.
    Pour your green chiles and tomatoes over the pork.
    Toss in all the spices on top.
    Pour your broth in the crockpot.
    Turn your crockpot on low and cook for 8-10 hours. If I am in hurry i put my CP on High for 5-7 hours and it works well.
    Once the time has elapsed, use some tongs to shred your pork and mix all the ingredients together.
    Pour a bowl put some shredded cheese on top and consume!!
    Last edited by 86Elwayfan; 07-16-2015 at 12:01 PM.

2 pounds pork Butt or pork chops, cubed
    1 TBSP canola oil
    1 medium onion cut into 1/4 in dice (optional)
    4 garlic cloves -- chopped
    2 jalapenos (Optional) -- seeded and chopped
    1 tsp dried oregano or cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 small cans chopped green chile or anaheims or poblanos, roasted, peeled and chopped- Dont use canned. Get the real deal of anaheim or green chilis and roast them in your oven until black spots..cover with a litle oil and pepper then roast- 375 for 5 min- turning frequently should do it.
    6 Cups Chicken Broth or 3 cans.
    1/3 cup flour
    1/4 cup canola oil

Cut pork into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat oil in Lg fry pan over med. heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes. Remove mixture to stew pot and in the same pan, lightly brown the pork. (You may have to cook half pork at a time) Add pork to stew pot. Next, cut green chilies into 1/4 inch wide strips and add seasonings to pot. Then add stock to pot. Bring to Boil. Reduce heat and partially cover pot and cook 20 minutes, brown flour in canola oil and stir in to soup, stirring until mixed through. Simmer about 1 hour.

Sub out pot for crockpot and youre good to go....

I also recommend adding:
    tamatillos diced up
    1/4 C of Cumin (seems like a lot but worth it)
    up the Oregano to 1/4 cup also
    Cilantro should be 2 tbsp (if you like cilantro)
    1 tablespoon of celery salt
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 tsp chili powder
    I also like to add 1 can of green enchilada sauce to it....Adds a little more flavor than chicken broth. infact, you can sub out chicken broth for the green enchilada sauce completely if youd like.

The only reason i used canned Green Chiles is they are a pain to peel haha. you can buy fresh frozen green chiles as well. (the used of canned Green Chiles is one of the reasons I use fresh anaheims and pablanos)

No Stink in Akron?

http://www.stinkingood.com

Remember him?

Love the stuff. Had it for lunch today.

Thanks guys! Yea I will probably have to use the canned green chilies because I highly doubt that our grocery stores have fresh ones. That stuff is just not big over here in Ohio, the only pre packaged stuff I found at any store around here was this stuff and I dont trust it by the packaging.

http://www.gianteagle.com/78004542819.aspx

I dont even know if that is green chili or just the actual green chili peppers lol. Eitherway I dont trust it.

And I tried to order Stinkin Good stuff offline because of course, its not in stores here and they said they are not doing any online orders for a few months because of the heat?

The only question I have is when I was reading through your recipe, what are these 2 things because I never heard of them lol man its crazy how culture changes halfway across the united states haha

Thanks guys! Yea I will probably have to use the canned green chilies because I highly doubt that our grocery stores have fresh ones. That stuff is just not big over here in Ohio, the only pre packaged stuff I found at any store around here was this stuff and I dont trust it by the packaging.

http://www.gianteagle.com/78004542819.aspx

I dont even know if that is green chili or just the actual green chili peppers lol. Eitherway I dont trust it.

And I tried to order Stinkin Good stuff offline because of course, its not in stores here and they said they are not doing any online orders for a few months because of the heat?

The only question I have is when I was reading through your recipe, what are these 2 things because I never heard of them lol man its crazy how culture changes halfway across the united states haha

haha no problem Anaheim Peppers/Chilis are a large light green pepper with minimal spice. Note some stores call these "New Mexico Chilis", I would think your local grocery store would have them, Here's a picture:

Poblano Peppers are large dark green peppers also not super spicy I think your grocery store will have these as well. Some stores call these pasilla peppers. (incorrectly i might add) But here's a picture of them as well.

You need to use Hatch green chile's and you need to roast them.

That's what they use on the streets, but we just use the bbq.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Pueblo chile is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeNbake View Post
    You need to use Hatch green chile's and you need to roast them.

That's what they use on the streets, but we just use the bbq.
    This times a thousand. Green Chile is a strong New Mexico tradition.

This thread had a big part in me deciding to make my cheesey green chile tater tot casserole this weekend... I use 505 green chile sauce in it and a southwestern veggie mix... Good stuff
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***

Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

**please disregard me sounding like a total moron when it comes to cooking**

So if I have this correctly, the actual green chilies in green chili I have to go buy from the store in a can? or are they going to be in the produce section where all the other peppers and stuff are. If so how many do I need if they are not in a can? If they are in a can i need 4 cans of them?

You then bake them till you see black spots then put them in the crock pot or just deseed them and chop them up and put them in the crock pot.

Also I dont know if you guys know how to do this but the Green Chili I had that was over the tater tots was thicker with a lot of shredded pork I guess. It wasnt too soupy like some of the pictures online I have seen. Is there a way to make it more thicker instead of soupy?

1 more thing sorry lol. Would it be awful of me to substitute red/green peppers for the anaheim peppers and the pabloasniwend peppers if I cant find them in stores along with some jalapenos?
    Last edited by ChampPik4Six; 07-20-2015 at 06:58 AM.

The green chile (with an e) would be in the produce section if you were in New Mexico or even Colorado. Unfortunately you're not and any substitute is an insult. Plus if you bought them fresh you would need to roast them and then peel and chop.

Luckily for you, that's not necessary. Go to http://www.sadiessalsa.com/sadies-green-chile-sauce. Buy that and throw it in a pot with cubed or shredded pork or steak. Throw it on your fries or whatever with some shredded cheese.

A little help here:

https://youtu.be/wSuSh3XK1Dw

And just for reference. It's not chili. It's Chee leh https://youtu.be/ObHjBGc_Eeo

**please disregard me sounding like a total moron when it comes to cooking**

So if I have this correctly, the actual green chilies in green chili I have to go buy from the store in a can? or are they going to be in the produce section where all the other peppers and stuff are. If so how many do I need if they are not in a can? If they are in a can i need 4 cans of them?

You then bake them till you see black spots then put them in the crock pot or just deseed them and chop them up and put them in the crock pot.

Also I dont know if you guys know how to do this but the Green Chili I had that was over the tater tots was thicker with a lot of shredded pork I guess. It wasnt too soupy like some of the pictures online I have seen. Is there a way to make it more thicker instead of soupy?

1 more thing sorry lol. Would it be awful of me to substitute red/green peppers for the anaheim peppers and the pabloasniwend peppers if I cant find them in stores along with some jalapenos?
    The reason i suggested canned Chiles is they are easier. YOu could find New Mexico/Colorado green chiles in the produce section but roasting and peeling them is a process. Since you wanted a quick recipe go with the canned chiles. Not sure about replacing the Pablonos or anahiems as they are readily available here.

As far as thickening the GC use some flour. Hope that helps!

Awesome thank you for all the help I am going to the store after work and see if they have all the ingredients here and toss it all in the crock pot tonight so it is ready around lunch tomorrow.