Peyton Manning to contribute to fund for Chattanooga victims’ families

Peyton Manning to contribute to fund for Chattanooga victims’ families

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...amilies/34594/

Peyton Manning, who recently visited military personnel and Chattanooga, Tenn., police officers following last week’s shootings, will contribute to a fund to help the families of the victims, Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tennessee) said Tuesday.

“I do want to say that, thankfully, our community has come together to make sure that these families have the financial support that they need beyond that, and there’s an effort underway in Chattanooga now,” Corker said in a speech on the Senate floor. “I hope people in the world will participate to make sure that, again, there is financial support to sustain these families in light of what happened.

“My friend and a great Tennessean, or at least we claim him as that — he lives in Chattanooga for part of the year — Peyton Manning has lent his name to this effort, and my sense is you’re going to see a generous outpouring to ensure that at a base level some of the needs of these families, if not all financially, will be dealt with in an appropriate way.”

Manning on Saturday visited the Naval Marine Corps Reserve Center on Amnicola Highway where four United States marines and a Navy sailor were killed by a lone shooter.

The 24-year-old Kuwaiti-born gunman opened fire on the military recruiting station Thursday, before going to the reserve center where he killed four U.S. marines. A fifth victim, a 26-year-old Navy sailor, died Saturday from injuries he sustained in the attack. Two others, a marine and a Chattanooga police officer, sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Sundays with Sacco: Manning always gives back

"When it comes to anything that makes our society better, Peyton Manning is all about "we," never about "me."

On Thursday it was announced that he has started the Chattanooga Heroes Fund at the Community of Greater Chattanooga, in honor of those who lost their lives and those who were wounded in the recent shootings in Tennessee.

Donations to the Chattanooga Heroes Fund from individuals, companies and organizations are welcomed in any amount, and information about support is available elsewhere on the Denver Broncos website as well as via other media.

When families need help, Manning is there.

To be sure, the Denver Broncos have a long list of players who do great work in the community.

But no one has visibility within the National Football League community like Manning, who is, in my opinion, the overwhelming choice as the face of the NFL.

His charity roots extend from Louisiana through Tennessee and Indiana, and most recently are growing in Colorado.

There is a litany of causes and concerns that he routinely aids, but we have found that his passion for support is matched only by his desire to do so privately as often as possible." ...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...d-0145a9fa5803