Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How will our rookie O line handle Hawks

This will be one huge test for our line come Friday against those Seachickens D.

I will be watching closely as too how our left side protects PM. And will BO be able to move the ball against the Hawks 1st / 2nd string D, as I would hope we pull PM after a couple of series and let Brock take the rains with the 1's to gauge his growth.

Very poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by THEdraftnik View Post
    Very poorly.
    Very, very poorly

I'm not that worried about protecting the QB against the Seahawks. They're not that good of pass rush team. Their defense is really built around the secondary and their ability to make QB's hold the ball.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, pretty well. The hawks D isn't the D it was the last time we played them. I fully expect a lot of two TE sets for the first 5-6 weeks until the o-line gels, but I don't think the Seahawks are anything to worry over.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, pretty well. The hawks D isn't the D it was the last time we played them. I fully expect a lot of two TE sets for the first 5-6 weeks until the o-line gels, but I don't think the Seahawks are anything to worry over.
    Right. While the young guys on the O-Line are trying to build chemistry with the vets, there are things Kubiak and Dennison can do to help them. It is already expected that 21 and 12 personnel formations will be used far more than the ubiquitous 11 personnel formations of recent years. Having two TE/FBs on the field creates ways to help the O-Line in both the rushing and passing attacks.

When Beadles left after the 2013 season, Orlando Franklin was moved to LG presumably to get more toughness inside. I think that's why Max Garcia is at LG because he's a heavy puncher. I was skeptical of Franklin pulling, but he did fine. I don't think Garcia is as athletic as Orlando, but he has a great attitude and is very coachable.

Ty Sambrailo was drafted as the LT of the future which came earlier than expected. He has excellent technique, but his strength was questioned in scouting reports. Apparently, he has been addressing that issue and has gotten stronger.

Matt Paradis spent 2014 on scout team playing against Denver's starting defensive front. He has a reputation as a strong, coachable mauler who won't quit. I think that's how he fought his way to first team O-Line.

If Schofield hadn't been dinged up lately, he might even be starting ahead of Ryan Harris. We'll see what happens. Harris has had health issues in recent years.

These guys plus Louis can get the job done if they develop chemistry and unit cohesion. I expect they will play together at least a half Friday Night regardless of who is in the backfield.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by crash123go View Post
    I'm not that worried about protecting the QB against the Seahawks. They're not that good of pass rush team. Their defense is really built around the secondary and their ability to make QB's hold the ball.
    They did rather well against us in the SB...Also keep in mind that Seattle has generally been able to keep the majority of their core. So they are already starting from a place where many teams wish they were.

Those of us in Washington know that the Hawks have spent a lot of money in the past couple of seasons on players, however none was used to upgrade their line. Plus they traded Max Unger away, the only vetran ( lot of fans not happy with this trade). So, our o-line will have our hands full, but theirs won't have it any easier with Von breathing down their neck and others - want to see Shane Ray!

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Right. While the young guys on the O-Line are trying to build chemistry with the vets, there are things Kubiak and Dennison can do to help them. It is already expected that 21 and 12 personnel formations will be used far more than the ubiquitous 11 personnel formations of recent years. Having two TE/FBs on the field creates ways to help the O-Line in both the rushing and passing attacks.

When Beadles left after the 2013 season, Orlando Franklin was moved to LG presumably to get more toughness inside. I think that's why Max Garcia is at LG because he's a heavy puncher. I was skeptical of Franklin pulling, but he did fine. I don't think Garcia is as athletic as Orlando, but he has a great attitude and is very coachable.

Ty Sambrailo was drafted as the LT of the future which came earlier than expected. He has excellent technique, but his strength was questioned in scouting reports. Apparently, he has been addressing that issue and has gotten stronger.

Matt Paradis spent 2014 on scout team playing against Denver's starting defensive front. He has a reputation as a strong, coachable mauler who won't quit. I think that's how he fought his way to first team O-Line.

If Schofield hadn't been dinged up lately, he might even be starting ahead of Ryan Harris. We'll see what happens. Harris has had health issues in recent years.

These guys plus Louis can get the job done if they develop chemistry and unit cohesion. I expect they will play together at least a half Friday Night regardless of who is in the backfield.
    How do you see Brock working with the one's ? and will he be able to move the ball against that Seattle secondary? Should be very telling playing against the Hawks this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post

Using TE/FB players allows us to also change from 21 to 12 and other possible mixes without changing the actual personnel we have on the field too. Joe Don Duncan or Casey can play at FB one play and change to a TE with multiple formations the next ... it kind of makes you want to use Green at FB too in order to disguise plays.

Agree about the line too ... Playing together, developing cohesion on the OL has to be close to the #1 priority this preseason. I would be surprised if they didn't play at least the first half even though its the first preseason game. And regardless of who is in the backfield.

It will certainly be a good test for our young group. My hope is we see the fire in these guys as they try to earn a place on this team. I would also like to see us pound the ball down their throats and neutralize Seattle's best weapons, the secondary and their own running game.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
    How do you see Brock working with the one's ? and will he be able to move the ball against that Seattle secondary? Should be very telling playing against the Hawks this Friday.
    Expect plenty of Boot action.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Just FYI.

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/20...ttle/31576915/

This will be one huge test for our line come Friday against those Seachickens D.

I will be watching closely as too how our left side protects PM. And will BO be able to move the ball against the Hawks 1st / 2nd string D, as I would hope we pull PM after a couple of series and let Brock take the rains with the 1's to gauge his growth.
    “They were not going to take a loss. They definitely came out and punched us around.”

Not likely very well, thats for sure.

That said, I like the trial by fire approach. Often, it isnt how well you handle being overmatched, but how well you handle it afterwards.

I am not sure that there is a d front that wouldn't dominate our weak oline at this point. They have never played together and 60% of them have never played a game in the league, one is a pro bowler, and one is the definition of journeyman. There r going to be growing pains and it is going to take time (maybe never) for them to figure it out. But when u take 3 rookie (none of whom are highly touted) and a journeyman, and throw in a pro bowler u can't expect good right away. I think the rookies are going to get dominated for the majority of the season. But if they belong in the nfl this season will greatly help them moving forward