Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Peyton or Brock

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    Read the quote I was referencing. They were comparing Manning to other QB's. I was doing the same. Read the context before you infer that I am making this a Brady vs. Manning deal. All I am saying is I would rather have Brady's/Bradshaw's 4 rings than Manning's wins/td's/MVP awards.
    OK. But, the Broncos don't HAVE Brady or Bradshaw or anybody else. They have Manning and Brock. So, the only relevant question is whether it's better to start Manning or Osweiler and comparisons between Peyton and Brady or Bradshaw are totally irrelevant.

I think Andrew Luck is better than Brady at this point. And so is Aaron Rogers. Well, so what?
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by trc1962 View Post
    Some would say John Elway wasn't successful as he spent his whole career working to get us to the super bowl and then getting embarrassed. Then Reeves left and we got Shanny and Elway played behind the best o-line in football, a great defense, TD and a coach who was ahead of many. By then Elway was kind of broken down, missed games due to injuries and still gave it his all. Manning never truly had that - unless you think Fox was equal to Shanny, which he isn't. Usually the guys who get to "win it all" really do have it all; Russell Wilson has the defense, the great back, the special teams and the coach, he threw for less than 200 yards when they beat us in the superbowl and most teams that get there and win "have it all." Dan Marino was great and successful but didn't have all around him to win a super bowl. Manning has been successful wherever he has been and I have loved him being a Bronco.
    Absolutely right on all points!

Elway's numbers in his first SB win? 12 of 22 passes completed for 122 yards and 0 TDs, plus 1 INT. Terrell Davis was the SB MVP with 157 yards and 3 TDs.

Elway was outplayed by Favre who threw for 257 yards and 3 TDs, but it didn't matter. The Broncos defense and running game ground them down and beat them. Elway ran for his only TD to seal the win.

Peyton doesn't have to throw for 400 yards and 3 TDs for the Broncos to win the SB if they can run the ball effectively in this new ZBS system.
    http://www.fbpages.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/159174168050152087_zRr4orMC_c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    OK. But, the Broncos don't HAVE Brady or Bradshaw or anybody else. They have Manning and Brock. So, the only relevant question is whether it's better to start Manning or Osweiler and comparisons between Peyton and Brady or Bradshaw are totally irrelevant.

I think Andrew Luck is better than Brady at this point. And so is Aaron Rogers. Well, so what?
    This isn't about who is better. This is about what people want. Some people are tired of being teased by Peyton. Glorious through the regular season only to be hoodwinked once the post season comes upon us. He has better teams surrounding him here than anything he had in Indy, it's time to do the job he came here to do.

He's a great fantasy football QB though.
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    This thread is a bad idea...I feel the same as you. Peyton is our QB at this point, he isn't going to leave this season so I absolutely support him and hope he wins. I'm also extremely happy we have Brock to spell him and cover for him should he get injured. This thread will do nothing good and will only cause more anger and division.
    Amen brother.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmlb View Post
    Head to head: Peyton > Brock

In the playoffs: Peyton > Brock

Based on contracts: Brock > Peyton
    Next year if we get a good deal the contract for Oz would be better.

But this year everything is already guaranteed.

Don't anoint Oz just yet, a decent half of dink and dunk against a secondary nobody knows is not a great feat and surely doesn't mean you are ready for prime time NFL. If the true legion of boom were out on the field things might have been different. Yes it was in seattle and it is easy to get caught up in that, but the seahawks looked awful at times, the only reason the score was close was special teams play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam24 View Post
    Your just going to start trouble with this. Brock looks great and very promising but Peyton is the man right now and together with ubiak and Wade we have as great as shot as any to win the superbowl.

Its Peytons team and most likely will be next season as well. Something tells me that he is far from ready to hang it up.
    Absolutely not my intension to start trouble. There have been a few people that have made it clear that they don't want Manning. I wanted to know if that was the general consensus among Bronco fans. Obviously it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Let's get real here. Some facts.

1. Peyton is a first ballot Hall of Famer who has already won 1 SB. Brock is a guy who played pretty well in 1/2 of a pre-season game. He will almost certainly never be in the HOF and fans shouldn't expect him to.

2. Peyton when asked last season whether he would play out his contract said "of course I will." Then he got hurt, played badly the last few games of the season and the team played badly against the Colts and they lost.

3. Then the coaching staff got fired, and Peyton reasonably questioned whether he wanted to come back in a completely new system. He wondered whether the team wanted him back and whether he would really fit in. He met with Kubiak to talk things over and Peyton became convinced the new offensive system could work and that, like Elway in 97-98 it could work for him.

4. The rookie OL struggled a bit in the first pre-season game, but they run blocked pretty well and the Broncos ran for > 100 yards even without C.J. in the game. This new ZBS looks like the real deal to me. I think they can have real success running the ball all year long.

There's just ZERO question Peyton is vastly superior to Brock. If he can stay healthy, and the team can run like they did last night, there's no reason the Broncos couldn't win another SB with Peyton. It would be beyond insane to get rid of him now and substitute an untested rookie.

All the fans who want Brock to start are going to have to accept reality. He may NEVER start a single regular season game for the Broncos at all!

Brock will be a FA next off-season. If Peyton plays well and has success in this offense, and stays healthy and the team has some success in the playoffs, is there any reason to think he WON'T come back and play out his 5 year contract next season? Why not? Will Brock want to come back and be Peyton's backup again? Or will he want to go somewhere else where he can compete to start? Especially if Peyton might conceivably even come back in 2017!

Elway is not going to push a Hall of Fame QB out the door, if he stays healthy and wants to return he'll be back - regardless of Brock Osweiler. Of course, by January he might be hurting and playing like he did at the end of last season, in which case this could be his last year.

But, this is the part that the fans need to accept - as long as Peyton stays reasonably healthy and they have success in the new offense, the Broncos are NEVER, EVER going to get rid of Peyton to start Brock.

Not this year. Not next year and not even in 2017.

Tom Brady just insisted that he's playing another 6-7 years. He's 1 year younger than Peyton so this is fantasy; he'd be 44 years old in 7 seasons! But he might play another 4 years, or till he's 41. Why couldn't Peyton do something similar and play 3 more years (till he's 41)?

Because a bunch of idiot fans want to get rid of him? Elway doesn't give a tinker's curse what the fans think. If he thinks Peyton can still play and wants to play, he's going to want him back and Brock can go fish.

We don't know how healthy Peyton will be in January, but FINALLY the Broncos have an "all-weather" offense that doesn't depend solely on Peyton having a great game on some freezing cold, windy day in January in Foxborough or something. They can run the ball. You can't run effectively out of a shot-gun. Peyton won't be in the gun much this year, just as Elway played a lot more under center his last 2 seasons.

If they can run the ball down people's throats with C.J. and then still have Peyton to throw play-action passes when they want they can keep teams from teeing off on Peyton like the Seahawks did in the SB. That formula turned Tony Romo from zero to hero in Dallas last year. It worked for Elway back in the day, why couldn't it work now?

The one question I had was whether this OL could really block well enough. Well, first test passed with flying colors.

Obviously, the verdict isn't in on the new offense yet, but I for one am optimistic. Maybe it's the orange-colored glasses, but I feel a lot better about this offense than last year.

I feel confident Peyton will be back next year. 2017? We'll have to see, but maybe. Just maybe. He doesn't look like there's anything else he wants to do but football, and Elway doesn't look like they are going to stop him coming back as long as he wants to play (and can stay healthy).

There was a famous conference between Elway & Shanahan on a golf-course in 1999, where Shanahan tried desperately to convince Elway to come back for 1 more season. History might very well repeat itself.
    What is amazing is that some of these people would rather let Manning go now, knowing that they arnt going to win a SB this year when Peyton gives them the chance to win now. I can only determine that these people just dont like Manning. They would rather see there team lose than have a chance with Peyton. This just makes no sense to me.

When I first saw this thread, I thought, "Good Lord....". I, like the first few posters, thought this was going to get ugly. However, I just wanted to say, " Way to go Bronco fans!". Excellent job of not making this a ridiculous thread.

That said, I too was excited to see Oz's success last night. But, I can also remember when Quentin Griffin ran all over the Colts at Indianapolis in a regular season game that the Broncos needed to win because Clinton Portis was injured. Also had a great game against the Chiefs on Monday Night Football to open the next season after we traded Portis for Champ Bailey. I was convinced he was the second coming of Barry Sanders. Needless to say, he wasn't.

I hope Oz becomes an excellent QB for the Broncos and I am excited to see his growth, but Peyton Manning is our QB, and as long as he continues to play like he's played since he's arrived in Denver, he has my support (which is important, since I make so many final roster decisions for our team). I for one am just as excited to see how Peyton looks in this offense as I was in seeing Oz's growth.

Way to keep this thread civil fellow Broncomaniacs.

Besides his accuracy on passes, Osweiler seemed to command the huddle well last night.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Besides his accuracy on passes, Osweiler seemed to command the huddle well last night.
    I agree, and his teammates seemed to respect him and trust him. Leadership is just as important as being a talented athlete, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdacolts67 View Post
    What is amazing is that some of these people would rather let Manning go now, knowing that they arnt going to win a SB this year when Peyton gives them the chance to win now.
    Some of these people don't believe Peyton gives them a chance to win a Super Bowl. Personally I believe Brock can be better than Flacco, and with the weapons Oz has, why not? The fact is Manning's game has not proven to be effective in the post season.
    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by luvdacolts67 View Post
    What is amazing is that some of these people would rather let Manning go now, knowing that they arnt going to win a SB this year when Peyton gives them the chance to win now. I can only determine that these people just dont like Manning. They would rather see there team lose than have a chance with Peyton. This just makes no sense to me.
    You cant say for certain that we wouldn't win a superbowl. Manning is no more a sure thing in the playoffs than Brock is.

There are plenty of Qb's who have won superbowls in the first four years in the NFL.

Do I expect it to happen, not really, but I dont expect its going to be any more likely with Manning either.

You are also grossly misinterpreting what people are saying. There were many who didn't want manning back this year. Once the Front office renegotiated his deal and commited to him, that ship set sail. Manning is going to be the broncos QB this year. I dont think anyone is saying he should be benched in favor of brock. If they are, thats news to me cause I have not read it in any of these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    I agree. Good point. That stood out to me as well. He looked comfortable and like he had control of all the situations. I was very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Houshmazode View Post
    He should have stepped down with his quad injury last season, until he got healed. John Fox didn't have the balls to tell him he needed to, though.
    Just maybe Fox or Manning for that matter knew that OZ was not ready.
    Maybe Gase would have blown more calls with OZ.

The simple fact is we do not have all the facts.

THAT SAID
    IMO I believe that Kubes and John have better handle on the O than fox could ever have and will make the right decision IF and when the time comes.

If the O is what we saw last night I do not see any reason that Manning can not kill the defenses with it. Providing the OL matures in a hurry.

OZ was making fast throws all night and moving the ball same for sieiman this is right down Mannings alley.