Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 8/31 Cuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    Biggest surprise to me it that #38 Curtis Marsh remains on the roster. He's beyond awful as a CB and on special teams.
    Still have to cut 22 players. To get to 53. Not to worry

Think duncan will last so we can ps him?
    Glen Haven Fire

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    Think duncan will last so we can ps him?
    Good chance he will, but you would think that if they wanted him on the practice squad they would have waited until final cuts to release him. I was definitely most surprised by his release.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningWolf View Post
    Maybe Roberts or Sweeton makes the team? Maybe they think Garcia can backup at tackle also?
    It looked like Clark was the perfect swing backup at tackle. Surprising move.
    To my knowledge, Chris Clark has only experienced anything resembling sustained success as an adequate backup Left Tackle.

IIRC, he started the first six games last year at RT and was benched for Paul Cornick. He was named starting RT during OTAs and mini-camps, but when TC began he was moved back to the left behind Sambrailo and Denver signed Ryan Harris.

It appears that trading him says they have more confidence in Michael Schofield as a Swing Tackle.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by roushmartin6 View Post
    Duncan and the trade of Clark are the biggest surprises. If Ty gets hurt I assume Ryan Harris slides to LT and Schofield at RT? Also Reggie Walker was a complete ghost for supposedly knowing how to play every linebacker position. Dysert was gone two plays into Siemian's first drive
    Good question. Almost all of Harris' 54 NFL starts are on the right. If Schofield is the Swing Tackle, he would most likely fill in immediately. Max Garcia played some LT at Maryland and Florida.

O-Line coaches' rule of thumb is start the best five, and if one goes down bring in number six and shuffle, if necessary.

If Garcia and Schofield are backup OL on game day, the former would be prepped for inside relief and the latter for outside.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by Den615 View Post
    Good chance he will, but you would think that if they wanted him on the practice squad they would have waited until final cuts to release him. I was definitely most surprised by his release.
    Duncan's early release surprised me the most, too. I actually thought he'd be on the final roster, both because he's been a good special teamer and because I'm not super-thrilled with the idea of not having a backup should Casey get hurt. But as you said, it's unlikely he gets picked up elsewhere within the next few days (he's a little short for a tight end and not really a fullback, and I don't know of any other teams that use FB/TE/H-backs the way we are); the optimist in me is hoping that, believing him to be safe on the street for a few days, we cut him early to alleviate the number crunch with the intention of bringing him back to the PS.

Pretty unlikely, I know, but if that's not what happens, we're going to need somebody on hand and versed in the offense to replace Casey in the event of serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Duncan's early release surprised me the most, too. I actually thought he'd be on the final roster, both because he's been a good special teamer and because I'm not super-thrilled with the idea of not having a backup should Casey get hurt. But as you said, it's unlikely he gets picked up elsewhere within the next few days (he's a little short for a tight end and not really a fullback, and I don't know of any other teams that use FB/TE/H-backs the way we are); the optimist in me is hoping that, believing him to be safe on the street for a few days, we cut him early to alleviate the number crunch with the intention of bringing him back to the PS.

Pretty unlikely, I know, but if that's not what happens, we're going to need somebody on hand and versed in the offense to replace Casey in the event of serious injury.
    IIRC Duncan has been in several other teams and been cut by all.

I was impressed with his play when he was on the field. For someone to short or ruff around the edges he played with heart.

Perhaps we will see him on the PS. At least one can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    We also traded Clark for a 7th

I've learnt from hard knocks that they keep the best 53. It doesn't matter how versatile Harris was or could of been, if he wasn't getting it done u can him

Joe Don Duncan has only been on the Broncos as far as NFL teams go ... he did participate at a Colts rookie camp last year but nothing came of it. He spent last year coaching as a graduate assistant at Dixie St, working with receivers. Joe Don too short? James Casey is 6'-3", Owen Daniels 6'-3", Virgil Green 6'-5", Dominique Jones 6'3" ... Joe Don is 6'-4", not too short.
    I think sometimes releasing a player on the first cut might allow them to go "under the radar" and not get picked up. Also I think it is a little more difficult for teams to add players when they are trying to cut down to 75. He will have already cleared waivers by the next cut, I don't know but that might figure in the decisions?

Broncos waive WR Nathan Palmer. Two more cuts today.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Joe Don Duncan has only been on the Broncos as far as NFL teams go ... he did participate at a Colts rookie camp last year but nothing came of it. He spent last year coaching as a graduate assistant at Dixie St, working with receivers. Joe Don too short? James Casey is 6'-3", Owen Daniels 6'-3", Virgil Green 6'-5", Dominique Jones 6'3" ... Joe Don is 6'-4", not too short.
    I think sometimes releasing a player on the first cut might allow them to go "under the radar" and not get picked up. Also I think it is a little more difficult for teams to add players when they are trying to cut down to 75. He will have already cleared waivers by the next cut, I don't know but that might figure in the decisions?
    I've wondered if this was the intention as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I said short... not too short. I'm not sure from where you got 6'4" (especially since his profile has been taken off the team site, which is usually the main source of embellishment), but at the combine he measured in at 6'2.5". Not too short, but it's definitely on the lower range of NFL tight ends, which was the point. And the endgame here is that it means he doesn't have any quick-reference stats that would make him a particularly intriguing claim out of the ~450 players who've popped up on waivers the past couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    I said short... not too short. I'm not sure from where you got 6'4" (especially since his profile has been taken off the team site, which is usually the main source of embellishment), but at the combine he measured in at 6'2.5". Not too short, but it's definitely on the lower range of NFL tight ends, which was the point. And the endgame here is that it means he doesn't have any quick-reference stats that would make him a particularly intriguing claim out of the ~450 players who've popped up on waivers the past couple days.
    1-02-2014 ... AP, Little All-American First Team, Troy Renk of the Denver Post had an article, Dixie St 2012 profile, Wikipedia. NFL combine profile has him at 6'-3" 268lb. Another Post article had him at 6'3" too.

Are we really arguing over minutiae?