Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bruton's play on the ball (end zone)

Ok guys, gonna ask a stupid question here but couldn't Bruton's pass break up that led to the interception could have been ruled as face guarding? I mean thank God it wasn't but as soon as I saw the replay thats what immediately came to mind. I thought that as a DB you have to look and locate the ball then make a play on it. It didnt appear to me that Bruton did that. His back was to the quarterback and he just threw up hand which deflected the ball slightly. Am I off target here? I'm a bit confused in regard to the face guarding call because sometimes its enforced by the refs then sometimes not.

Face guarding is legal in the NFL as long as you don't make contact.

I've never heard that face guarding is legal, contact or none.

Face guarding is legal in the nfl.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?237723-The-last-play-on-defense-against-the-Ravens-was-PI
    Last edited by VenomousDB; 09-16-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Has there been a rule change that Im unaware of? Ive never known for face guarding to be legal in the NFL. Dont know if you guys watched the Seattle game recently but there was an issue with Sherman face guarding but wasnt flagged and people went nuts. If it were legal why were the coaches and fans angry?

Quote Originally Posted by JHoward View Post
    Has there been a rule change that Im unaware of? Ive never known for face guarding to be legal in the NFL. Dont know if you guys watched the Seattle game recently but there was an issue with Sherman face guarding but wasnt flagged and people went nuts. If it were legal why were the coaches and fans angry?
    NFL Face Guarding Rules (ehow.com)

NFL Rulebook: Pass Interference (nfl.com)

Note in the NFL rules, nothing is mentioned about blocking or hindering a player's vision for DPI.

Didn't this get hashed out in another thread Monday calling it PI?

Sorry, you guys are right. I read the ruling on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Didn't this get hashed out in another thread Monday calling it PI?
    Yes yes it did....in fact I am pretty sure a link above is from that very post you're mentioning.

Heck I'm just glad he did legal or not.

Yes I read it all. So no need to correct me.

Idk, but i think it was PI either way. Dude made contact with the reciever be4 the ball gotten their, and never turned his head around to locate the ball. IMO- I think the refs didnt have the stones to throw a flag on what woulda handed a W to Balt. It was such a physical game on D ( by both sides ) that they couldnt swing the game towards one side so drastically, on one play. Had manning hit just ONE of those deep balls to Sanders, then i think its a different ball game, and that gets called.

We went through this in another thread dedicated to this specific topic just 3 days ago or so.

Will say again what I said then

The Smith Pick Six was closer to DPI than this play.

If you look at the replay after the PAT he obviously hit the WR in the head with his elbow before anyone touched the ball. That was obvious and that is DPI.

It could also be said that he limited the WR's ability to get to the ball by being on top of his shoulder pads.

Much closer to DPI then what Bruton did. We won so it all worked out but if we loss imo Denver would have a beef with the refs.
    Vic Fangio "Von Miller can play better than he has ever played in his career"
    Preventing Death by Inches

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    We went through this in another thread dedicated to this specific topic just 3 days ago or so.

Will say again what I said then

The Smith Pick Six was closer to DPI than this play.

If you look at the replay after the PAT he obviously hit the WR in the head with his elbow before anyone touched the ball. That was obvious and that is DPI.

It could also be said that he limited the WR's ability to get to the ball by being on top of his shoulder pads.

Much closer to DPI then what Bruton did. We won so it all worked out but if we loss imo Denver would have a beef with the refs.
    I don't think so. Smith was playing the ball the whole time. If the receiver makes that same catch while contacting the DB, no one thinks of it as OPI. Both players have a right to play the ball.

Bruton was not playing the ball and he did make contact with a receiver who was playing the ball prior to the ball arriving. Arguable whether it was significant contact, but a case for DPI could have been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sitoke View Post
    I don't think so. Smith was playing the ball the whole time. If the receiver makes that same catch while contacting the DB, no one thinks of it as OPI. Both players have a right to play the ball.

Bruton was not playing the ball and he did make contact with a receiver who was playing the ball prior to the ball arriving. Arguable whether it was significant contact, but a case for DPI could have been made.
    In the rule book you can't go through a receiver to make a play on the ball and that is what he did since our guy ended up on the ground. If he would of reach around and avoid contact us than it wouldn't have been.

But in both cases minimum contact was made and the refs stayed consistent on the calls by allowing them to play with the minimum contact

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Sitoke View Post

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference
    Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.