Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs down Vikings hit on DT legal?

The one that knocked him out of the game briefly... when I watched it back several times... even on replay... I thought it was helmet-to-helmet. And yet no flag whatsoever. Does anyone else agree?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They're your teammates, now.
    Best of luck, TT!
    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

The defender lead with the crown of his helmet which I believe should have been called.

I agree, it should've been spearing.

They were outside of the tackle box and the contact was not accidental, thus it should have been a flag. We are lucky DT was not injured or concussed on the play. I'm sure it did not feel great but that tough SOB got back in the game and helped us win to you DT. Great to have a budding HoFer on the team.

He should have been thrown out and fined

I suspect he'll be fined for the hit.

Oddly, with such an emphasis on injuries and concussions in particular, and the refs supposedly throwing flags when in doubt, this was not a penalty Sunday. Forget the blatant holding no-calls (safety anyone?) that hit could have been life changing.

Yeah but they're the Broncos and either they hate us for some reason or we seem unfairly good or whatever.

So it goes.

I was surprised it wasn't immediately flagged, but more surprised there is no fine today from the NFL. DT was flagged for back pedaling into the endzone and they don't call a helmet to helmet hit? Crazy, but then so was MNF last night.

This is football. It is bang bang. Harrison Smith isn't known for being a dirty player. It is ridiculous to think that he should have been flagged. There are plenty of guys that it happens to on every play. Please take the sunglasses off and understand what game is being. This isn't flag football.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by B Real 15 View Post
    This is football. It is bang bang. Harrison Smith isn't known for being a dirty player. It is ridiculous to think that he should have been flagged. There are plenty of guys that it happens to on every play. Please take the sunglasses off and understand what game is being. This isn't flag football.
    Stop it. The irony is thick where player health is " such a concern." Regardless, he was out of the box and led with the crown of his helmet. That is an obvious a penalty as anything - more so than Miller arm hitting Stafford on the head that resulted in a penalty, which it was.

Wrong, bud...blatant penalty in todays NFL...

No one is claiming this is flag football. The simple fact is that the NFL has claimed they are taking player safety seriously. Head injuries to be even more specific. So far this season I have seen at least 4-5 plays involving Bronco players where the opponent lead with the helmet. Like it or not this is a penalty. With the NFL's sound bites being what they have been on this topic their words and their actions are yet again beginning to greatly differ.

Quote Originally Posted by False Start View Post
    Yeah but they're the Broncos and either they hate us for some reason or we seem unfairly good or whatever.

So it goes.
    lol

Just....lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...unner-defender

NEW RULE: A ban on a ball carrier initiating contact with the crown of his helmet in the open field or by a defender while making a tackle.

What the rule changes: A 15-yard penalty will be called if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.

Looks like the hit was outside the tackle box and 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and if that's the case it should have been a 15-yard penalty according to the crown-of-helmet rule.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...unner-defender

Looks like the hit was outside the tackle box and 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and if that's the case it should have been a 15-yard penalty according to the crown-of-helmet rule.
    The definition you posted included that it had to be 3 yards past the line of scrimmage, and if you look closely he's right on that line