Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Mike View Post
    JT has been desperately missed in the redzone this year. And not scoring those points will hurt us when we face better teams especially in the playoffs.

I don't know if the question is "can we afford just a red zone TE" or if the question really is "can we afford to not make a move for a RZ threat?"

IMO fix the OL and the running game fixes the red zone issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    I don't care how bad aa players attitude is if he's winning games.

Again, all these people who say cry baby cutler never lived through the Elway era. They are almost identical less the Super Bowl trips.

Elway was hated and despised for his arrogance from the day he decided not to play for the Colts. That kid with the piss poor attitude chewing dip during the games and always drinking in public. His on the field antics towards teammates and officials were almost more comical then Jays.
    Never seen anyone "chew" a dip. Most folks chew chewing tobacco like Levi Garret and dip smokeless tobacco like Skoal & Copenhagen. What's wrong with drinking in public?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLumberjacks View Post
    Bobby Humphrey!
    What about him?

[QUOTE=ArchAngel;5261340]What about him?[/QUOTE

Elways ground support. Along with Rod Bernstine, they made those Elway years very pedestrian. Just adding the name of the best running back Elway had during the time you were mentioning.

I still believe a big receiving tight end brings this offense up in the red zone. The problem is not many are available and they are expensive but it would be worth whatever it cost. As the o-line strengthens the run game will improve. If Fowler gets in the slot I believe he would be a threat as well. Norwood is not as good as Fowler from what I have seen.

According to Rotoworld Jared Cook, TE for the Rams might be available. I don't know if he blocks but he's a good receiving threat and has put up good numbers with scrub QB's in Tennessee and the last two years in St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    they are not getting much production out of Owens or Green because mostly up til now they have been held in for protection more than route running.

Is Davis going to help as a blocker?
    Vernon Davis is a fantastic blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Brock/Green and a future 4th for Forte and Cutler
    Word around the campfire was that Elway met with Cutler at Shanahan's request when Cutler was in his 2nd or 3rd year here and Elway was less-than-impressed with his attitude and demeanor.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Mustve been another John Elway you were following. Only those outside of Denver despised Elway for forcing a trade. Elway was popular with his teammates and idolized by the majority of Bronco fans. What does chewing tobacco and having a beer or two have to do with ANYTHING? Elway NEVER threw his teammates under the bus like Cutler. Elway played hurt, with no ground support and average receiver talent up until the mid 90's. Never complained about it. Even when he disagreed with Reeves coaching, he never took it public. So, I dont know what Elway you are referring to.
    Listen, I'm a H-U-G-E Elway homer. If Adam Schefter said that Elway was suiting up to play quarterback for the Broncos against the Packers next week at age 55 I'd be like "H*LL YEAH!!!".

But there is A LOT of revisionist history when it comes to Elway and how beloved he really was in Denver prior to 1997. As a fan for 25 years, I can tell you that there were calls from Broncos for Kubiak and Maddox in the late 80s and early 90s. There were CONSTANT Marino and Kelly comparisons. There were plenty of boo-birds in the stands when he was struggling in games (i.e. throwing multiple picks in a game, which he did a few times). There was a game against the Eagles during one of the early Super Bowl years where Randall Cunningham outplayed Elway and the talk around town was how come we weren't seeing THAT quarterback in Denver. There was a game against the Chiefs where Elway threw several picks and Janet Elway slapped a fan in the stands who was talking smack about Elway. There was the press conference Elway gave in which he basically said the fans in Denver sucked and he couldn't take it anymore. There were rumors that Elway requested a trade at some point in either 90 or 91 and basically had to be talked out of it by Pat Bowlen and Mike Shanahan, who was subsequently fired after 91.

When you walk away a two-time Super Bowl champion and MVP, people tend to forgive many things. Elway even joked about this a few years ago, I think around 2006 or so, and said (to the effect) that he retired a Super Bowl champion and people forgot all the picks he threw and all the bad times there were. In the end it all worked out, obviously, but there is definitely some validity to the idea that the relationship between Elway and Denver fans was love/hate. I mean, of course he was THE biggest star on the team pretty much his entire career, there's no disputing that. But yeah, there were a relatively large contingency of fans that definitely didn't appreciate him at the time.

IMO fix the OL and the running game fixes the red zone issues.
    A superbowl contending team would have both.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
    Word around the campfire was that Elway met with Cutler at Shanahan's request when Cutler was in his 2nd or 3rd year here and Elway was less-than-impressed with his attitude and demeanor.
    Shocker......

Listen, I'm a H-U-G-E Elway homer. If Adam Schefter said that Elway was suiting up to play quarterback for the Broncos against the Packers next week at age 55 I'd be like "H*LL YEAH!!!".

But there is A LOT of revisionist history when it comes to Elway and how beloved he really was in Denver prior to 1997. As a fan for 25 years, I can tell you that there were calls from Broncos for Kubiak and Maddox in the late 80s and early 90s. There were CONSTANT Marino and Kelly comparisons. There were plenty of boo-birds in the stands when he was struggling in games (i.e. throwing multiple picks in a game, which he did a few times). There was a game against the Eagles during one of the early Super Bowl years where Randall Cunningham outplayed Elway and the talk around town was how come we weren't seeing THAT quarterback in Denver. There was a game against the Chiefs where Elway threw several picks and Janet Elway slapped a fan in the stands who was talking smack about Elway. There was the press conference Elway gave in which he basically said the fans in Denver sucked and he couldn't take it anymore. There were rumors that Elway requested a trade at some point in either 90 or 91 and basically had to be talked out of it by Pat Bowlen and Mike Shanahan, who was subsequently fired after 91.

When you walk away a two-time Super Bowl champion and MVP, people tend to forgive many things. Elway even joked about this a few years ago, I think around 2006 or so, and said (to the effect) that he retired a Super Bowl champion and people forgot all the picks he threw and all the bad times there were. In the end it all worked out, obviously, but there is definitely some validity to the idea that the relationship between Elway and Denver fans was love/hate. I mean, of course he was THE biggest star on the team pretty much his entire career, there's no disputing that. But yeah, there were a relatively large contingency of fans that definitely didn't appreciate him at the time.
    And that amity was evident by the fact that some felt Elway was carried to the finish line with the first SB title. Yeah, they commended the helicopter flip as a reminder that the lionhearted one had a final gratuitous moment left in him... But only after the encore (14-0, until the A.Toomer catch ruined the undefeated season) and MVP performance vs ATL the following year (thankfully Minny was upset)... did the narrative gloss over past gripes and grievances...

Quote Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
    Vernon Davis is a fantastic blocker.
    at 4.4mil it is not going to happen for a 31 year old TE with loads of miles on him.

I doubt this rumor as Shanahan did not want him around the locker room and made that known. It took Pat to step in and calm those waters. John also thought that cutler was a punk after his my arm is stronger that Elways was.

The backup QB is always SOME fans favorites if there is a bad game, some fans will never like a QB for what ever reason, many did not like him because he refused to go to the team that drafted him OMG he broke tradition. Some did not like him because he was "THE SEVEN" million dollar man, after Pat signed him to IF not the highest paid contract close to it at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denver Mike View Post
    A superbowl contending team would have both.
    Some Super bowl contending teams have so so OLs they usually get eliminated in the playoffs unless they have a GREAT Defense (read seahawks).

But your mostly correct super bowl winners are usually the most rounded teams overall.

I doubt this rumor as Shanahan did not want him around the locker room and made that known. It took Pat to step in and calm those waters. John also thought that cutler was a punk after his my arm is stronger that Elways was.
    No the meeting with Elway and Cutler definitely happened. Whether Elway walked away from the meeting (which was actually dinner at Elway's restaurant with Shanahan present, if memory serves) with a negative impression of Cutler is what's up for debate/rumor/speculation.