Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Well, you make some good points and added something we probably didn't think of. My issue was not understanding why it wasn't on TV and therefore concerned that the fans of the teams that were playing may not get a chance to watch.

    But again, you raised excellent points but was it necessary to come off like you're scolding people? Jeez!
    Probably not and everyone is entitled to their opinions but there was not much understanding or caring for the supporters overseas.

    I agree it should be on TV, strange that it isn't

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,529
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Probably not and everyone is entitled to their opinions but there was not much understanding or caring for the supporters overseas.

    I agree it should be on TV, strange that it isn't
    I gotcha. Just was out off by the tone. But your points are excellent and well worth considering.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I agree it should be on TV, strange that it isn't
    I think most can agree with that. The angst being spread over this thread is likely based on the fact it will ONLY be available CONUS on Yahoo! streaming instead of straight TV. If someone has to NOT see a game, it shouldn't be the fans of the team in the city in which the franchise is based. But NO ONE needs to be cut off from the game; EU can travel to Wembley to see it live, and US television can carry it for those of us who can't just fly off to Europe for the weekend due to various and sundry reasons.

    There's a way to have it both ways; why wasn't the NFL interested in such a solution? DirecTV has ~20.3 million customers; cable TV has over 52 million. Why was the lower number of potential viewers given NFL Sunday Ticket? Even from a financial stand-point Wembley and DirecTV make no sense.
    Last edited by Grandpa; 10-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.
    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Lets be real though, how much demand is there for the Bills against the Jags ?

    Its not like we get any top games over here lol

    The only good match-up we have had was the Saints and the Chargers which was a brilliant game

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I find the attitude of some people here terrible. I am going to London tomorrow, I have been to every game, and its a chance for fans in Britain and Europe to see a live game within their budget.

    I, and many people, watch the NFL from 6pm Sunday to 5am, plus TNF and MNF which both finish around the same time, and then get up for work a couple of hours later. We spend money on merchandise, and I have flown to Denver 3 times to watch the Broncos play..... although like I say not everyone can afford to, especially those bringing family along.

    There are over 250 regular season games in the season. Allowing people overseas to watch 3 is not asking for much. Especially as the Jags get a poor attendance at home anyway. Fans in Britain dedicate a lot of time to the NFL, begrudging them 3 games a season is very obnoxious imo
    Since I started the thread, I feel compelled to respond. There's no argument that there are NFL fans in the UK, and loyal ones at that. I'm sure there are also huge numbers of loyal fans of UK soccer in the US. That being said, I still stand by my opinion that the NFL playing and considering expansion to London is a horrible idea, not because depriving NFL fans in the UK is somehow a good thing, but because the only reason the NFL is even considering this is their insatiable greed and I'm completely sick of it. Conversely, how would you feel about the Premier League flying teams across the Atlantic to have regular season games in the US so they can cash in on American fans? If you feel ok with that, then we're left to respectfully disagree on the issue of making national leagues international for the sake of profit.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Since I started the thread, I feel compelled to respond. There's no argument that there are NFL fans in the UK, and loyal ones at that. I'm sure there are also huge numbers of loyal fans of UK soccer in the US. That being said, I still stand by my opinion that the NFL playing and considering expansion to London is a horrible idea, not because depriving NFL fans in the UK is somehow a good thing, but because the only reason the NFL is even considering this is their insatiable greed and I'm completely sick of it. Conversely, how would you feel about the Premier League flying teams across the Atlantic to have regular season games in the US so they can cash in on American fans? If you feel ok with that, then we're left to respectfully disagree on the issue of making national leagues international for the sake of profit.
    I don't care about profit. Whether they do it for that or not is irrelevant to me.

    I think its brilliant that people in Britain and Europe get the chance to see an NFL game in person, and 3 games out of 260 something is a drop in the ocean. Its only a regular season game as well.

    Most people here don't want a franchise, just the chance to see 2/3 games a season.

    I think the premier league should, and will, put a few games in the states every season to reward supporters over there. There are 38 weeks in a season, I think one week's slate of games should be shown in different cities in America. The majority of fans over here will not begrudge losing 1 week out of 38.

    Your not making the NFL international by having 3 regular season games a year played outside the States.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I don't care about profit. Whether they do it for that or not is irrelevant to me.

    I think its brilliant that people in Britain and Europe get the chance to see an NFL game in person, and 3 games out of 260 something is a drop in the ocean. Its only a regular season game as well.

    Most people here don't want a franchise, just the chance to see 2/3 games a season.

    I think the premier league should, and will, put a few games in the states every season to reward supporters over there. There are 38 weeks in a season, I think one week's slate of games should be shown in different cities in America. The majority of fans over here will not begrudge losing 1 week out of 38.

    Your not making the NFL international by having 3 regular season games a year played outside the States.
    Oh well, I don't agree and since my last name isn't Goodell you don't have anything to worry about..enjoy the game
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Oh well, I don't agree and since my last name isn't Goodell you don't have anything to worry about..enjoy the game
    Thats cool. You think its bad that anyone outside the States get a chance to watch a live game. We're just agree to disagree

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Thats cool. You think its bad that anyone outside the States get a chance to watch a live game. We're just agree to disagree
    Actually that's not true. I have nothing against preseason games in London, Mexico City, The Nazca Plains, wherever...I just don't agree with regular season games scheduled internationally. It cheats one team of a home field advantage game and puts additional travel/jet lag issues on the 2 teams that the other 30 teams don't have to adjust to. In a 16 game season, having 7 instead of 8 home games is giving up a major advantage. If the Broncos had to fly and give up a regular season home game in London, then face a big divisional opponent matchup the next week I'd feel it was an unfair advantage for the other team, not to mention the other teams in the division and conference.

    Also, while you mention that most UK fans aren't looking for a franchise, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that if Goodell and the owners can find a way to get a team in London and put even more money in their pockets, it'll happen
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    Actually that's not true. I have nothing against preseason games in London, Mexico City, The Nazca Plains, wherever...I just don't agree with regular season games scheduled internationally. It cheats one team of a home field advantage game and puts additional travel/jet lag issues on the 2 teams that the other 30 teams don't have to adjust to. In a 16 game season, having 7 instead of 8 home games is giving up a major advantage. If the Broncos had to fly and give up a regular season home game in London, then face a big divisional opponent matchup the next week I'd feel it was an unfair advantage for the other team, not to mention the other teams in the division and conference.

    Also, while you mention that most UK fans aren't looking for a franchise, I'd bet a dollar to a donut that if Goodell and the owners can find a way to get a team in London and put even more money in their pockets, it'll happen
    Whenever a team plays at Wembley they get a bye the following week.

    There's not much difference in flying from the east coast to London as it is across country, and I'm sure these players flying first class can handle it.

    I don't think a franchise will be put here, but time will tell

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,085
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Thats cool. You think its bad that anyone outside the States get a chance to watch a live game. We're just agree to disagree
    I think I remember you seemingly taking offense to people not liking games in London in a thread last year in 2014, and it seems your doing it again. I doubt that many here have a problem with it because they think people outside the States shouldn't get to see games, I think you may be a bit clouded emotionally in assuming this, as it seems you value these games, and I do understand why you value them.

    However, at the same time I think there are good reasons to play them all in the States, not because I don't want people to see games in other countries, but because all NFL Teams have stadiums in the States.

    I would love for people in the UK to see games, along with people in Japan, Brazil, Germany, Australia, The Congo and etc. I would love for the country you live in to not interfere with that. However, I doubt this can be the case without causing unfair advantages.

    A team playing a game outside their stadium for a scheduled home game means they lose a home game, they have less home games than road games. HFA is a big advantage IMO, I don't think teams should have to give it up for a game.

    I would love for preseason games to be played overseas, however I'm not sure it's fair to have regular season games overseas. I wish it could be, but I think it isn't.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by fallforward3y+ View Post
    I think I remember you seemingly taking offense to people not liking games in London in a thread last year in 2014, and it seems your doing it again. I doubt that many here have a problem with it because they think people outside the States shouldn't get to see games, I think you may be a bit clouded emotionally in assuming this, as it seems you value these games, and I do understand why you value them.

    However, at the same time I think there are good reasons to play them all in the States, not because I don't want people to see games in other countries, but because all NFL Teams have stadiums in the States.

    I would love for people in the UK to see games, along with people in Japan, Brazil, Germany, Australia, The Congo and etc. I would love for the country you live in to not interfere with that. However, I doubt this can be the case without causing unfair advantages.

    A team playing a game outside their stadium for a scheduled home game means they lose a home game, they have less home games than road games. HFA is a big advantage IMO, I don't think teams should have to give it up for a game.

    I would love for preseason games to be played overseas, however I'm not sure it's fair to have regular season games overseas. I wish it could be, but I think it isn't.
    1 - I don't take offense to it, I just have a different opinion, and obviously the opinion I had last year will be the same this year. I'm consistent in my thinking.

    2 - It depends who's homefield advantage it is. I don't think the Jags HF is great because they have a lot of empty seats. People at Wembley really got behind them the other day and I would argue their support was far better then what they are used to. Last week they played at home to the terrible Texans and got blown out. At Wembley they won.

    3 - The NFL have tried having pre-season games over here, and they tried the NFL Europe league, but people do not have any interest in watching back-ups and squad players in a meaningless game. The majority of people who go to Wembley are proper fans who are very knowledgeable on the game and want to see the best players in a game that matters.

    4 - My solution would be thus -

    Do not move a franchise over here, most fans don't want one anyway.

    Have 4 games a year using one division. Each team in that division has to give up a home game. Do not play division games overseas. Rotate the division travelling every season.

    That way the team and fans know when they are giving up a home game and only have to do it 1 season in every 9... which imo is not a big ask. The league can adjust their season tickets prices, they make a lot of money out of the Wembley games anyway.

    Out of those 4 games give Wembley 2, Germany 1, and Mexico 1

    As they do now let the teams playing overseas have a bye the following week
    Last edited by bronx_2003; 10-27-2015 at 04:57 AM.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    4 - My solution would be thus -

    Do not move a franchise over here, most fans don't want one anyway.

    Have 4 games a year using one division. Each team in that division has to give up a home game. Do not play division games overseas. Rotate the division travelling every season.

    That way the team and fans know when they are giving up a home game and only have to do it 1 season in every 9... which imo is not a big ask. The league can adjust their season tickets prices, they make a lot of money out of the Wembley games anyway.

    Out of those 4 games give Wembley 2, Germany 1, and Mexico 1

    As they do now let the teams playing overseas have a bye the following week
    THAT is a very well-thought-out idea. (Provided the NFL puts those overseas games on US television (either broadcast networks or NFL Network.) Have you thought about emailing that idea to the NFL?
    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    THAT is a very well-thought-out idea. (Provided the NFL puts those overseas games on US television (either broadcast networks or NFL Network.) Have you thought about emailing that idea to the NFL?
    Thanks, but they wouldn't listen to me. I think they probably do want a franchise over here at some point but its a huge misconception that getting a franchise is something the British people want.

    We are happy with 2/3 games a season....... although some are getting tired of all the bottom feeder games they are sending us.... although I won't blame them for KC / Detroit, no-one could predict their poor records

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Thanks, but they wouldn't listen to me. I think they probably do want a franchise over here at some point but its a huge misconception that getting a franchise is something the British people want.

    We are happy with 2/3 games a season....... although some are getting tired of all the bottom feeder games they are sending us.... although I won't blame them for KC / Detroit, no-one could predict their poor records
    True on the overseas franchises. What Broncos fan living in England wants to watch an English team that ISN'T the Broncos? Or a Dallas fan in Amsterdam watching a Dutch team that ISN'T the Cowboys? It would be the same way it is now .... "They're not MY team, but it's all we've got."
    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •