Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Gronk

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Highlands Ranch
    Posts
    1,547

    Gronk

    First off, I sincerely hope Gronk recovers speedily. I like to see our guys tackle well and hit hard, but I never wish injury on anyone. And I felt proud to be a Broncos fan watching/hearing the fans/players reactions as he was being carted off the field. Showed a lot of class.

    Having said that, does anyone know why we did not follow the Bills strategy of double teaming Gronk the entire night? I kept waiting to see the Broncos adjust, and unless I missed it, it seemed Wade for whatever reason did not want to use the philosophy the Bills used the previous week, which rendered Gronkowski ineffective. Does anyone know why we did not put 2 guys on him the whole night? Was this question asked at some point in a post game presser? I ask simply because, going into the game, it sure seemed like a big deal in my mind, in regards to shutting down their offense, and I would've thought, given the success Rex Ryan and the Bills defense had just 1 week ago, we may have followed suit and put 2 guys on Gronk.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Highlands Ranch
    Posts
    1,547
    Bump.

    Have no idea why people aren't discussing this more. It's a big deal in my mind. We will likely see the Pats again in the playoffs, and if we defend Gronk the same way we did Sunday night, it will not end well, in my opinion.

    Any conjecture (or if Wade has already been asked & given a straight up answer) as to why we did not put 2 guys on Gronk?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    951
    With Lewis, Edelman and Amendola out, I was sure our personnel could handle doubling up on Gronk. Then he torches us on the first drive. Kubiak said their formations make it hard to double Gronk. I don't buy that. When you make a concerted effort to double someone, the formations should be irrelevant. I think they wanted to see how much they thought either Ward and Marshall could handle him.

    My bigger question is why we didn't blitz more. I saw a four man rush on too many passing plays.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Highlands Ranch
    Posts
    1,547
    Hmm, I missed Kubiak's response to that, but I was kinda speculating that could've been the response given, if asked. I'm not sure I completely buy that either. At the end of the day, it's 11 guys against 11 guys. I do get that formations make it difficult at times, but figure it out, man!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, NM
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by LASERLIPS View Post
    First off, I sincerely hope Gronk recovers speedily. I like to see our guys tackle well and hit hard, but I never wish injury on anyone. And I felt proud to be a Broncos fan watching/hearing the fans/players reactions as he was being carted off the field. Showed a lot of class.

    Having said that, does anyone know why we did not follow the Bills strategy of double teaming Gronk the entire night? I kept waiting to see the Broncos adjust, and unless I missed it, it seemed Wade for whatever reason did not want to use the philosophy the Bills used the previous week, which rendered Gronkowski ineffective. Does anyone know why we did not put 2 guys on him the whole night? Was this question asked at some point in a post game presser? I ask simply because, going into the game, it sure seemed like a big deal in my mind, in regards to shutting down their offense, and I would've thought, given the success Rex Ryan and the Bills defense had just 1 week ago, we may have followed suit and put 2 guys on Gronk.
    I was there and i have to say most of the Denver fans around me where pretty classless and embarrassing, cheering when he went down and yelling things like "i hope he dies" i told a few around me to shut up hes a human being and its just a game but they ignored me. It was nice hearing the clapping when he was put on the cart but i bet it was only 1/4 of us there that did and mostly pats fans.

    Was very disappointed in the bronco fans, i thought we were better then that.

    BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,002
    Didn't like Wades gameplan for Pats at all...why can't we ever get a d coordinator who can play them the right way??

    How do you leave Gronk 1v1 when he's their only legit weapon??? Really tho

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,002
    To add on to that tho...

    You CANNOT just rush 4 against Brady...bring 5...don't let the routes all open where he can find someone deep wide open or on a double move

    Brady had nowhere to go early and he still wasn't getting sacked (know it kinda goes hand in hand) but I would almost always bring 5 against him

    We better change it up next time...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    16,002
    To further add on...snow could've also been a factor and a reason why we didn't man up and press much...so who knows

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
    Didn't like Wades gameplan for Pats at all...why can't we ever get a d coordinator who can play them the right way??

    How do you leave Gronk 1v1 when he's their only legit weapon??? Really tho
    Do you know everything Wade Phillips and his staff knew? Are you able to put together a better plan? Do you think the Pats came into this game to play us the same way they played the Bills? Not every defensive plan is going to be successful, no matter how much planning. The Patriots offense is a very challenging group of guys along with the play calling by Josh McD. It isn't as simple as black and white.

    In regards to pass rushing Brady, yes it's effective if it can be disguised. If you've watched the Patriots play before, they use a lot of quick dumps/short passes to move the ball up the field. We used our LBs to stack the middle of the field to help cut off his options. Otherwise you give up lots of plays because everyone is busy going after Brady and not covering receivers.
    Last edited by XterraRob; 12-01-2015 at 12:02 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,869
    Yea, that threw me for a loop as well. Gronk wasnt even jamed at the line either. He was getting a free release and the cover guy played ten yards off! Even Collinsworth commented that if that was going to be the Broncos tactic, it was going to be a long day.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,169
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    With Lewis, Edelman and Amendola out, I was sure our personnel could handle doubling up on Gronk. Then he torches us on the first drive. Kubiak said their formations make it hard to double Gronk. I don't buy that. When you make a concerted effort to double someone, the formations should be irrelevant. I think they wanted to see how much they thought either Ward and Marshall could handle him.

    My bigger question is why we didn't blitz more. I saw a four man rush on too many passing plays.
    Doubling Gronk split out wide is a tough proposition, a LBer going out into that area would leave a smaller defender in the box exposing the team to the run. Leaving a DB out there with a safety over the top leaves a LBer on a slot receiver one-on-one over the middle. The Bills doubled Gronk with two guys when he was in-line, it is easier there, but when he was split out wide, they seemed to keep a DB on him, but then got torched by the slot guys against the LBers on the inside.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    300
    Who was Talib on most of the night? Isnt he big enough to hang with Gronk?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,721
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraRob View Post
    Do you know everything Wade Phillips and his staff knew? Are you able to put together a better plan? Do you think the Pats came into this game to play us the same way they played the Bills? Not every defensive plan is going to be successful, no matter how much planning. The Patriots offense is a very challenging group of guys along with the play calling by Josh McD. It isn't as simple as black and white.

    In regards to pass rushing Brady, yes it's effective if it can be disguised. If you've watched the Patriots play before, they use a lot of quick dumps/short passes to move the ball up the field. We used our LBs to stack the middle of the field to help cut off his options. Otherwise you give up lots of plays because everyone is busy going after Brady and not covering receivers.
    Given the LB coverage limitations, I felt Wade had the right game plan but Brady executed very well, IMO. The goal was to make Brady throw outside the numbers but by isolating the LBs vs RBs, Josh McDaniels made those throws outside the numbers easier. If it was throwing to a TE covered by a safety or a WR covered by a CB outside the numbers, Brady would have had to thread the needle more which he is not good at outside the numbers. Carson Palmer is the best deep ball throw, IMO, given how well he can drop it in the bread basket for a WR streaking down the sideline.

    You play Brady with 3 safeties and 3 CBs and have just 2 LBs and 3 DL for run support given their pass to run ratio this year, IMO. The free release, if you don't give it, the Patriots will stack the wideouts, there are ways to get around it, you just have to go toe-to-toe and execute.
    Last edited by chad72; 12-01-2015 at 02:50 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,913
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    With Lewis, Edelman and Amendola out, I was sure our personnel could handle doubling up on Gronk. Then he torches us on the first drive. Kubiak said their formations make it hard to double Gronk. I don't buy that. When you make a concerted effort to double someone, the formations should be irrelevant. I think they wanted to see how much they thought either Ward and Marshall could handle him.

    My bigger question is why we didn't blitz more. I saw a four man rush on too many passing plays.
    You should read Bill Walsh's thirteen part outline on how to dictate to defenses using formations. After sending in a personnel package in response to the offense, a front and coverage is called and then they must align to the formation shown.

    Rob Gronkowski doesn't always line up tight on LOS. There are four other eligible receivers as well.

    Only eleven of Tom Brady's 42 pass attempts were thrown to WRs. He threw 22 at TEs, and nine at RBs. Multiple TE formations with RBs running routes are one way of getting favorable coverage matchups as in the 63 yard TD to Brandon Bolden.

    This is achieved through formations since the D must align to them. If it's Cover 1/0, defenders count in from the outside. Motion can result in a Backer with a difficult coverage assignment. Wade Phillips was forced into using more zone than he prefers due to the formations and routes used by the Pats*.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    5,756
    The problem with rushing more than four against Tom Brady is that he gets rid of the ball so quick, that it just doesn't really matter. So it's worth it to sacrifice some pressure for coverage, especially since you know he's going to hit those dink-and-dunk routes for under 10 yards and hope they run after the catch. They do an amazing job of getting their receivers in space, and the NE model has always been to get guys with elite quickness (not necessarily speed, or homerun threats). They like the high percentage passes, and bringing tons of heat is not necessarily the way to beat that.

    That said, I agree the opening gameplan against Gronk was awful, but they did seem to adjust. He was pretty quiet for most of the game after that first series. Hopefully they know now that Darian Stewart playing off against Gronk is not the way to do it...

    Pats did have a good gameplan though getting our LBs out there in isolation, as the commentators noted. I'd play extra DBs and dare them to run the ball. But we lost our NT and safety who basically plays like a LB. It's tough with the matchups...makes me wonder why only one team out there really has a tactical genius coaching for them, and then a bunch of other people.
    Last edited by cmc0605; 12-01-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •