At what stage in life...

Alright so I'm 27 I can cook, clean, pay the bills, work on cars, fix computers, set up networks, etc. But for the life of me I still can't figure out how long to put things in the microwave for.

I put something in the microwave at it either comes out cold, or scolding hot. I really need to learn this skill, if you guys have any advice, or if you could let me know when you finally figured it out please let me know!

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

The problem with microwaves is that they don't heat food evenly, so you get hot edges with a cold center. That's why you're always supposed to let the food sit afterwards...so the heat dissipates and you generally lose the hot/cold spots.

If I'm heating up a plate of something and it's too big to put on the outside of the rotating glass, then I move the food out of the center of the plate so it forms a circle (and put that empty circle right in the middle). If it's a small plate, then I set it on the outside of the rotating glass and halfway through I move it to the other side (so the food that was towards the inside is now on the outside). You also need to stir the food once or twice while heating. The key though is to let it sit for a few minutes afterwards!

As far as how long, start low and keep checking it (remembering that the outside will generally be hotter than the center). You can always heat it up some more, but you can't reverse what happens when you overheat.
    My other love...

305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

And, to add, most microwaves have settings for things such as reheat and what are you reheating. I used to just hit a number and cook and that wasn't always the right thing. I had to learn how to use the other modes. Try looking and see if that helps.

Meats, pastas and especially breads, I always heat on a lower level (3 on mine) for a little longer time (meat/pasta, 5-6 minutes. Bread, 3 minutes). They won't come out rubbery or hard as a rock.

Oh, and to answer your question about "at what stage in life" --- microwave knowledge/experience is an on-going forever kind of thing. I'm still learning.
    Last edited by Peanut; 12-18-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    Administrator

#LupusAwareness

Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe --- I adopted: Everyone!

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Microwaving is not a hobby, it's a form of art meant to be mastered through decades of learning.

I've never been able to figure out why all the different options for liquid, popcorn, ect... I'm not good at microwaving, I've decided ours at home is so old it takes 5 minutes no matter what if it's a dinner and 90 seconds if it's reheating coffee or a sinus pack for my head. I have managed to burn stuff in the microwave many times, because I set all other microwaves to those standards.

Basically I have no advice, so I'm not sure why I commented...

Adopted Bronco - 2016/17 - Trevor Siemian
    Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 to every player he covers
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris

You have all the other kitchen appliances if you want stability and reliability; but a microwave-- now that's a kitchen adventure.

Just push a button and enjoy the ride.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cAgxSFqbyaQgeyY3VA/giphy.gif

One word of warning. Do not stand too close to the door of the microwave. Once I had a plate explode inside, and the door blew open, followed by some plate pieces. I was only a couple of feet away. Not sure the actual plate chunks would be as tasty as the food I was heating up!

It also depends on your unit's wattage. Most "test kitchens" have 900 watt microwaves; so, those recommended times on those TV dinners are bogus if you have a 1200 watt microwave. Most microwaves come with an instruction book that also contains a couple of "recipes" to try. Try them, and (as someone else mentioned) read the book to learn what those preset buttons really do.

Oh, one more thing - Learn to change the power level (I've been trying to teach my older brother that trick, but it's just about hopeless at this point).
    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Just thought of another tip, specifically for reheating rice. Put a hot cup of water in and heat it until it's boiling. Then put the rice in (the microwave, not in the cup of water) and heat the two together. The steam from the water keeps the rice from drying out and makes it taste as good as when it was originally cooked. You can do this with pasta too.

Thanks for all the sweet microwave tips!

I didn't know it was so complicated, no wonder I'm not very good with it.

2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Dood, the microwave is magic. You'll never really get a firm grasp on magic unless you go to hogworts.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*