Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

[research] Manning foot issue dates back to 2014?

I'm going through the second half of the season last year to try and see where it fell apart for Manning.

Something I've noticed is that since the Pats game that year, Manning was not putting weight much on his back foot.

https://youtu.be/coB1ZAWba4o?t=38
    https://youtu.be/coB1ZAWba4o?t=62
    there's other instances too, I'm not going to post them all.

I think it's possible this injury has been nagging Manning since week 9 in 2014.

Thoughts?

edit: I'm posting youtube links to give some reference, not using highlights as any kind of measure. I'm going game by game actually watching them.
    Last edited by CoryWinget81; 12-31-2015 at 10:28 PM.

Hooray, beer!

https://youtu.be/coB1ZAWba4o?t=90

Watch how he gets up from this sack, making the same foot movement Brees did after his plantar fascia injury, how he kind of shakes his foot and rocks it heel to toe a couple of times as he walks off.

Hooray, beer!

I would think having a thigh injury would have the same effect. But I don't know, you could be right.

You might be on to something here. Watched the video, and manning was throwing off his back foot a few times when normally you would just step into the throw. It also looked like he was avoiding any pressure on his left foot

Interesting.....

If there is any truth to this Denver needs a better medical evaluation staff. Who allowed a possibly injured player whose play is compromised by an injury to take the field till he completely breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by River Side View Post
    If there is any truth to this Denver needs a better medical evaluation staff. Who allowed a possibly injured player whose play is compromised by an injury to take the field till he completely breaks down.
    Doctor to Peyton: 'Peyton how does everything feel now ?"

Peyton: " I'm all right...nothing major (lying to cover up his grimaces)...go take care of DT he seems to have lost his ability to feel the ball hit his hands"

Doctor: "Ok....Peyton no issues check"

Could be onto something there. I really thought he was injured in the New England game last year, because that's when I first perceived something was off.

If he tore it or significantly hurt his foot last year, then not reporting it and having surgery may have cost him a starting gig...ever.

Bad choice. I sincerely feel for him. What a tough time for an all time great.

His downward spiral was last yr against chargers . Week 10 I believe. He has not been the same since except the packer game. It wouldn't surprise me at all . That's when I t seemed like he really lost his zip on the ball. Not that he had a ton of zip , but he could make all the throws until then.

I will say it again.
    I had Planar Fascitis myself....
    -
    My foot has NEVER been the same.
    It takes a long time to get over it...
    and even then, I chalk it up to ageing...
    but that foot is stiffer and less mobile than my right foot.
    It is just a reality I have adjusted to with age.
    -
    That foot is easily re-injured... setback.. whatever you call it.
    I've been struggling with it again, lately.
    -
    There is not much to do but adjust to reality.
    -
    This guy aint 25 years old anymore.. getting old kinda sucks.
    It don't mean you cant dance, it just means you gotta deal with tweaks and twinges.
    -
    I live in Denver... I have been around Elway himself, several times.
    You oughta see how he walks.... it aint pretty.
    It happens. Football is a rough road.
    How many old players are there?
    Last edited by PAINTERDAVE; 01-01-2016 at 09:46 AM.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Not sure how identifying the exact time he was injured has much value. Nice research and is interesting but in the end does it really matter when and how severe.

Every football player to ever step on the field is "injured" in some way. Over the course of the season the bumps, bruises and sprains add up. It is up to the player to acknowledge and accept when they are too severe to play. We have all seen cases where some players struggle with accepting that reality of being limited.

We can admire the warrior spirit to want to play but at some point the player can become a detriment to the team. We have argued about where that line is countless times with Manning. It all depends on your opinion as to how important it is. And how much responsibility the player has to pull himself when he knows he can't do the job.

I refer back to the no excuses mentality of the old players adage of "if you step on the field, you are ready to go".

not directed at anyone in particular:

maybe there is some truth but this is all speculation with limited evidence. i'm not sure what it helps/proves or is the point beyond intrigue which is fine of course!

if PFM had essentially pulled himself to injury everyone would be calling him an every name in the book pre madonna and calling for his impeachment as he is now a traitor and *gasp* not a team player.

let's also keep in mind this is one of the greatest football players ever. this is his life's work and identity. it just has to be the the most difficult thing to step away from himself, at his competitive climate, in mid season of perhaps last chance at a SB with his team absolutely needing and depending on him, and say "yup, gotta hang it up until the playoffs, hope to be ok then, we will see".

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAdam View Post

maybe there is some truth but this is all speculation with limited evidence. i'm not sure what it helps/proves or is the point beyond intrigue which is fine of course!

if PFM had essentially pulled himself to injury everyone would be calling him an every name in the book pre madonna and calling for his impeachment as he is now a traitor and *gasp* not a team player.

let's also keep in mind this is one of the greatest football players ever. this is his life's work and identity. it just has to be the the most difficult thing to step away from himself, at his competitive climate, in mid season of perhaps last chance at a SB with his team absolutely needing and depending on him, and say "yup, gotta hang it up until the playoffs, hope to be ok then, we will see".
    Great points. The politics of being "Peyton F'n Manning" has to be difficult. I agree the commentary would have been difficult for him. He has been fighting the "soft" label for years. Benching himself would have been tough.

This goes to my entire perception of Manning and my thoughts on his health/age/performance.

I respect the career and what he brought to Denver. His comeback to win the MVP and 55 TDs is legendary. His influence on the culture of the Broncos is to be respected. I am happy he was able to reach his milestone records this year.

But the decline is real. The accumulation of injuries combined with age is real. He is not the player he was a couple of years ago. We can argue which came first or has a greater impact ...the injuries or Father Time. But in all honesty, does it even matter anymore.

Manning gave everything to the game and I hope he can find a way to make peace with his leaving the game. To retire with some grace and dignity. No one wants to remember Manning in the KC game or how he struggled this year. Especially not Manning himself.

But as the OP speculated the foot issues have been in play for over a year. Even Archie let us know he has been hobbled since the Summer. He is still injured today. That is the reality of Manning 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Not sure how identifying the exact time he was injured has much value. Nice research and is interesting but in the end does it really matter when and how severe.

Every football player to ever step on the field is "injured" in some way. Over the course of the season the bumps, bruises and sprains add up. It is up to the player to acknowledge and accept when they are too severe to play. We have all seen cases where some players struggle with accepting that reality of being limited.

We can admire the warrior spirit to want to play but at some point the player can become a detriment to the team. We have argued about where that line is countless times with Manning. It all depends on your opinion as to how important it is. And how much responsibility the player has to pull himself when he knows he can't do the job.

I refer back to the no excuses mentality of the old players adage of "if you step on the field, you are ready to go".
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyAdam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Great points. The politics of being "Peyton F'n Manning" has to be difficult. I agree the commentary would have been difficult for him. He has been fighting the "soft" label for years. Benching himself would have been tough.

This goes to my entire perception of Manning and my thoughts on his health/age/performance.

I respect the career and what he brought to Denver. His comeback to win the MVP and 55 TDs is legendary. His influence on the culture of the Broncos is to be respected. I am happy he was able to reach his milestone records this year.

But the decline is real. The accumulation of injuries combined with age is real. He is not the player he was a couple of years ago. We can argue which came first or has a greater impact ...the injuries or Father Time. But in all honesty, does it even matter anymore.

Manning gave everything to the game and I hope he can find a way to make peace with his leaving the game. To retire with some grace and dignity. No one wants to remember Manning in the KC game or how he struggled this year. Especially not Manning himself.

But as the OP speculated the foot issues have been in play for over a year. Even Archie let us know he has been hobbled since the Summer. He is still injured today. That is the reality of Manning 2015.
    Great posts from both of you. There is always that balance between the player playing through the injury to be there for his team and knowing when you are becoming a detriment to the team. Most of them don't go out when they should..and it usually doesn't look pretty either.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

I'll add that this is just a discussion. I'm not calling anyone out on anything or criticizing. Being sick with the flu for the past week has given me plenty of time to watch film, and I just started noticing this.

Going through the Bills game right now.

Football discussion for the sake of football. No it doesn't matter, but neither does watching the game on Sunday. I could always just drum up a tar and feather thread, but IMO there's enough of those. I figured it might be enlightening, perhaps even a little fun, to go back and take a look at games. This thread was not intended to bash Manning for anything. If it's anyone's fault this year or last that Manning put the team in precarious positions due to injury, it's the coaches for letting him play.

Hooray, beer!