Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

After watching post game interviews of Manning and Osweiler....

there are a couple of things that have really struck me.

First, Peyton mentioned finally learning how it felt to be a back up, as far as preparation being mostly mental and not gathering a whole lot of reps in practice. This seemed really sincere to me, which leads me to believe that Kubiak really meant what he said in regards to Osweiler being the starter after the Bengals game.

Second, Manning realized that it wasn't so much his QB play as it was that everyone around him started playing better...OL blocking better, RBs securing the ball, and WRs catching the ball. He went out of his way to make sure that Osweiler wasn't getting "blamed" for the offense not putting points on the board.

And after watching Osweiler's interview, I fervently hope that they keep him for next year. VERY, VERY professional in his answers. I like this kid and feel that the front office likes him too. I would be completely shocked if he isn't resigned. I for one would like to see it ride with him.

Now, what about the playoffs? I honestly can see both sides of the coin. On one hand, you have Manning who has a wealth of knowledge and experience and if completely healed, I feel could lead this team to Super Bowl 50. On the other hand, you have Osweiler who has gotten better and better with each game, and I feel confident he could lead us to Super Bowl 50. Our defense is outstanding, and is truly the reason we have had as much success as we have had this year. Our running game is showing signs of life. So who do we go with?

One thing I firmly believe is that no matter who starts at QB, if we cannot run the ball and take care of it, we will lose. I don't know if I ever have been so apprehensive over a playoff team of ours in my lifetime, but I am for one major reason -- Offensive Line.

If our offensive line could put together a string of 3 good games, we'll win the Super Bowl. In my mind, it really begins and ends with their play. Which begs the question, does Polumbus get the start at RT from here on out?

Consipiracy Theorists will say they left Schofield in so that Os would struggle so that his price wouldn't be as high next season, but I don't buy that. But I do question why wait to make a change at RT until Manning comes back. Definitely a head scratcher for me.

So to conclude my somewhat rambling post, I shall make my prediction on who starts in the playoffs.

I really don't know if there is a wrong answer to this right now. If we lose, there will be plenty on here saying that was the wrong answer. However, as I've said, I understand both scenarios. I think Kubiak is going to stay with Osweiler going forward. I doubt that he announces it until he has to, but I think that will be his strategy. But it's really 53/47.

Go Broncos!
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

I think Brock is worth a bigger contract and a shot at being our long term starter next year. He has not "gotten better" with each game though. There is enough tape out there on him now that teams are starting to exploit his weaknesses, one of which is poor ball decisions when under pressure. He does not handle a collapsing pocket well (not than any QB can handle that perfectly).

As far as playoffs go, if Manning is reasonably healthy, you go with Manning. The coaches will know best, in my opinion.

Brock is the QB of the future period. His play has gotten better and better every game. His benching when it wasn't his fault might of cost the Broncos a couple extra mill tho. May not be so inclined to take the hometown discount.

Imo the problem has never been the qb, neither manning nor brock, regardless of what people on here keep claiming. Games are won and lost as a team. And imo manning gives this team the best chance to win a sb this year.

Play Osweiler in the first half and Manning in the second.

I'm half serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    Brock is the QB of the future period. His play has gotten better and better every game. His benching when it wasn't his fault might of cost the Broncos a couple extra mill tho. May not be so inclined to take the hometown discount.

He shouldn't give a hometown discount anyway. He should get every penny he can because when push comes to shove no front office or fanbase is going to cut him any breaks or even remember that he signed for less if he struggles or is injured or not as successful as people think he should be. The hometown discount only favors 1 side.. the franchise.

Firstly, I'm in favor of Brock getting a deal and becoming our starter......next year.

But anyone who says he's been "improving" lately is delusional:

KC.......passer rating....72.6.....TQBR......67.8

CHI......passer rating...127.1.....TQBR.....78.2

NE.......passer rating....72.5......TQBR.....35.2

SD.......passer rating....76.8......TQBR.....68.7

OAK.....passer rating....84.4......TQBR.....33.2

SD.......passer rating....76.3......TQBR.....32.4

He "peaked" in his first start, against Chicago, and has actually been declining, statistically, since. No, not in a strait line, but if you want to fit a curve to those numbers, passer rating and total quarterback rating, it will have a negative slope in both cases. This is not surprising, as young QB's often have a honeymoon game or two and then when more film is out there on them, they start to struggle.

I hope we can retain Osweiler next season. I believe he is the future of the team but at the same time if he isn't who are we going to bring in next year to lead the team? Another aging QB who isn't nearly as good as Manning? A guy like Fitzpatrick who might get us into the playoffs? Looking at all our options going into next year says Brock is our best chance. Nobody in free agency or the draft gives us a better shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat7 View Post
    Firstly, I'm in favor of Brock getting a deal and becoming our starter......next year.

He "peaked" in his first start, against Chicago, and has actually been declining, statistically, since. No, not in a strait line, but if you want to fit a curve to those numbers, passer rating and total quarterback rating, it will have a negative slope in both cases. This is not surprising, as young QB's often have a honeymoon game or two and then when more film is out there on them, they start to struggle.
    I have noticed him getting blown up on those boots by a defender meeting him right at his release point more frequently as the season went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat7 View Post

Where does the Cincinnati game fit in to your curve? I thought that was Brock's best game in terms of check downs, buying time in the pocket, and being an overall team leader. He led 3 possible game winning drives, 2 derailed to fumble, missed FG and finally winning the game in OT. I am on the fence on who to start in the playoffs, but I think you are missing Brock's best game in your statistical analysis.
    We are going with Plan A

I am a pretty objective fan, and I am concerned Brock is not progressing, and it goes beyond passer rating. Only one of yesterday's turnovers is on him. The issues that ARE on him, however, are far more glaring. My biggest concern is I see him hit his check prematurely. Granted, he sees a collapsing pocket, but he can get an extra read in before going to his checkdown.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    I am a pretty objective fan, and I am concerned Brock is not progressing, and it goes beyond passer rating. Only one of yesterday's turnovers is on him. The issues that ARE on him, however, are far more glaring. My biggest concern is I see him hit his check prematurely. Granted, he sees a collapsing pocket, but he can get an extra read in before going to his checkdown.
    I've noticed that too, but that is something that will hopefully come with more game time. My biggest issue is his awareness in the pocket. That's something that can't necessarily be learned. You see most top flight QB'S are able to feel the pressure without even seeing it, Brock just doesn't seem to have that ability and it has caused him to be sacked multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Turf Nazi View Post
    Where does the Cincinnati game fit in to your curve? I thought that was Brock's best game in terms of check downs, buying time in the pocket, and being an overall team leader. He led 3 possible game winning drives, 2 derailed to fumble, missed FG and finally winning the game in OT. I am on the fence on who to start in the playoffs, but I think you are missing Brock's best game in your statistical analysis.
    Yikes!! Don't know how that one dropped out:

CIN....passer rating...100.3......TQBR......57.4

Yes, that helps his cause, no doubt. But his TQBR in his first three starts averaged 60.7. In his last three starts it has dropped to 41.3.

There is a part of me that is buying into what some would call the propaganda concerning Brock...that while he is a competitor who wants to be playing, he wants to win more. It is because of this, that I make my prediction that Brock gets the start (although, just finished watching DT's post game interview, and it really looks as if he favors Manning...just my impression).

Here's my thought process.

If you start Manning, one of two things happen. You either win or you lose, right?

So, scenario A) Manning takes over and leads the team to a Super Bowl win. This leads to a couple of possibilities as well...does he retire or does he come back to finish his contract out? If he retires, I believe the front office has an easier time resigning Brock because if he has proven he can win and they'll be able ready to roll with him. I also think he'll be more inclined to come back, because he won't be able to argue with the results - a Super Bowl win. If Manning doesn't retire, Os is as good as gone. He'll have enough interested suitors he'll need to focus on what is best for him.

Scenario B) Manning takes over and loses. It doesn't matter when, 2nd round, AFC Championship, Super Bowl. This scenario also presents two possibilities. First, no matter when the loss, if Manning doesn't retire, I believe the front office moves on without him, whether trade or all out cut. However, depending on when they lose, it may make it extremely difficult to resign Osweiler. The best chance, in my humble opinion, that they have of resigning Brock in this scenario is if Manning loses in the Super Bowl, but not really because of him having a bad game. If they were to lose in the first game, their would be a lot of doubting on Osweiler's part on why they couldn't have trusted him to take the reins. He couldn't have done any worse. This may cause him to move on to another team and coaching staff.

The same possibilities exist with Osweiler...we either win or lose. So let's explore them.

Scenario C) Osweiler starts and the Broncos win the Super Bowl. The possibilities that exist from this is pretty simple. Denver would resign Oswieller, hopefully without breaking the bank (ie Flacco deal) and Manning either retires at the end of the year or Denver trades or cuts him should he want to continue to play. Biggest concern in this scenario is how much would it cost to get Osweiler under contract. However, should the front office/coaching staff put their trust in Brock in this scenario, I would not be shocked to see him give them the ol' Home Town Discount, recognizing that his continued success is dependent on the franchise's ability to retain talent. It may be a shorter contract, but again I wouldn't be surprised if he did this based off what I've read about him.

Scenario D) Osweiller is given the reins but we lose. Again it doesn't matter when in this scenario, however for a different reason. No matter what round he loses in, the Broncos would have shown they are committed to him and Peyton would also know this. This would lead to either Peyton retiring, being cut or traded in the offseason. This would also provide the greatest possibility of resigning Brock at the most cost efficient amount.

Given these reasons, this is what leads me to believe Kubiak will go with Brock. However, if he does go with Manning, the pressure to win the whole thing, at least in my mind, will be extreme. Because that is the only scenario I see us retaining Brock for next season, which I would like to see.

Either way, I'll be rooting for the Orange and Blue.

On a side note, I almost hate getting my hopes up because of our poor, and I mean POOR offensive line play this season. I honestly don't want to get disappointed, but as a Bronco fan, I'm going to go ahead and hope for the best.
    Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
    Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
    Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

What if Manning wants to come back for a. 4/5 million a year contract
    If he wanted to come back on the cheap it would be hard to say no IMO