Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Manning to be Investigated

Per Fox Sports and other media outlets.
    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d...-report-012716

I have to say, this is extremely BAD timing by the league to start an investigation 2 weeks before the biggest day of Mannings life. Especially when this was all brought about by a less than trusted source at Al Jazeera. The whole thing stinks of unsettling.
    Anyone from other teams fan bases that believes Manning receives favourite treatment by the league should think again.

Herr Goodell strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    Per Fox Sports and other media outlets.
    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/d...-report-012716

I have to say, this is extremely BAD timing by the league to start an investigation 2 weeks before the biggest day of Mannings life. Especially when this was all brought about by a less than trusted source at Al Jazeera. The whole thing stinks of unsettling.
    Anyone from other teams fan bases that believes Manning receives favourite treatment by the league should think again.

Herr Goodell strikes again.
    The investigation won't start until after the season. The NFL has to investigate this. It is only fair for them to do so. Will they discover anything? Who knows, but it would be favoritism if they don't. It is part of the rules that players cannot use HGH. There are allegations that HGH was sent to his home. They need to find out what happened.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

They cannot find anything by investigating. If the HGH was sent to his home under a doctor's scrip for his wife, medical privacy laws prevent any disclosure of that information. And since only Manning and his wife know what happens inside their home they will never be able to find anything incriminating. As long as the HGH was not purchased directly by and not delivered directly into the hands of Peyton Manning, there is no way they can ever find out anything more than we already can guess about today.

What they should be investigating is how he concealed major injuries to the team repeatedly that did not show up on league injury reports.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    I agree that they most likely won't find anything but I believe that the NFL would look horrible if they don't investigate. It would be a bad look to not.
    With all the NFL's inconsistency over the past two years, they already look horrible. Even worse, their policies, especially on safety, is a joke. Refs working part time, etc. The NFL led by Goodell (sp?) is just a joke now.

Why the surprise? My question is why did it take so long to announce the investigation.

The NFL has to investigate the accusations. It is their job. Same as it was in the Brady or Pats cheating scandals. Most of you did not have an issue with that.

We have no clue what the investigation will reveal. Some of you are so adamant in protecting the Manning legacy you are not being reasonable. NFL will investigate and if it was truly just his wife receiving treatment it will go away. But Manning reportedly went to the Center a couple dozen times. The Center prescribes and has a direct link and to a banned substance.

There was less direct evidence to Bonds, Armstrong and Griffith-Joyner yet the dominoes tumbled when after the investigation. IMO there is enough credible suspicion to have the investigation. Anything less from the NFL would be ridiculously incompetent.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Why the surprise? My question is why did it take so long to announce the investigation.

The NFL has to investigate the accusations. It is their job. Same as it was in the Brady or Pats cheating scandals. Most of you did not have an issue with that.

We have no clue what the investigation will reveal. Some of you are so adamant in protecting the Manning legacy you are not being reasonable. NFL will investigate and if it was truly just his wife receiving treatment it will go away. But Manning reportedly went to the Center a couple dozen times. The Center prescribes and has a direct link and to a banned substance.

There was less direct evidence to Bonds, Armstrong and Griffith-Joyner yet the dominoes tumbled when after the investigation. IMO there is enough credible suspicion to have the investigation. Anything less from the NFL would be ridiculously incompetent.
    But again...unless Peyton discloses it himself...it would be illegal for the clinic to release information AND additionally it would be illegal for the NFL to solicit information about a person's medical history without that person's explicit permission...for example when you buy insurance you sign a statement that gives the insurer the right to get your health records...if you don't sign they will not insure you because they cannot see you med history without your permission.

The NFL can only make guesses and inferences about use. My guess is they will sniff around and ask Peyton for permission to see his med records...he will say no (any good lawyer will always advise this) but will offer to sign an affidavit saying that he never used HGH. His wife's use of any drug and her history is off limits and not even he can give access to those records without her permission or power of attorney to do so.

So yes they need to start an investigation...but there is no way anything can be found out unless someone has photos of Peyton shooting up with a needle labeled "HGH...this is for you Bellichek".

There are two things that I am confused about.

1. In 2011, was Peyton Manning under contract with a team? He had been cut by the Colts and was not signed by the Broncos yet. So, was he still under contract with the Colts? I don't know so I guess someone like Mora will know. If he wasn't and let's say he did use HGH, does it matter if he wasn't signed with a team?

2. Was HGH a banned substance in 2011? When did it become a banned substance? I thought it wasn't a banned substance until 2012 and that's when the players were being tested for it.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    There are two things that I am confused about.

1. In 2011, was Peyton Manning under contract with a team? He had been cut by the Colts and was not signed by the Broncos yet. So, was he still under contract with the Colts? I don't know so I guess someone like Mora will know. If he wasn't and let's say he did use HGH, does it matter if he wasn't signed with a team?

2. Was HGH a banned substance in 2011? When did it become a banned substance? I thought it wasn't a banned substance until 2012 and that's when the players were being tested for it.
    Peyton Manning was under contract with the Colts during the 2011 season. After the season, he was released by Indy in about March of 2012. Elway put his plan into motion and Denver signed him about a couple of weeks after he was released.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I hope they get to the bottom of the real issue at hand:

At what point did he switch from Pizza Hut to Papa Johns...was it before he was released or only after they realized they could not get any more ad money for eating chicken parm sandwiches ?

Quote Originally Posted by tonray View Post
    But again...unless Peyton discloses it himself...it would be illegal for the clinic to release information AND additionally it would be illegal for the NFL to solicit information about a person's medical history without that person's explicit permission...for example when you buy insurance you sign a statement that gives the insurer the right to get your health records...if you don't sign they will not insure you because they cannot see you med history without your permission.

The NFL can only make guesses and inferences about use. My guess is they will sniff around and ask Peyton for permission to see his med records...he will say no (any good lawyer will always advise this) but will offer to sign an affidavit saying that he never used HGH. His wife's use of any drug and her history is off limits and not even he can give access to those records without her permission or power of attorney to do so.

So yes they need to start an investigation...but there is no way anything can be found out unless someone has photos of Peyton shooting up with a needle labeled "HGH...this is for you Bellichek".
    I am not going to argue the legality of the process of the investigation. I simply do not know the specifics.

Perhaps you are correct and the investigation will hit a wall of confidentiality and it ends right there. I am just stating we have seen investigations take turns before. Using the Armstrong investigations. It took several of them and years to collect the right combination of evidence and witnesses. In the MLB investigation there were players in front of Congress professing their innocence. Yet many investigations reveal wrongdoing.

We have no clue where an investigation could lead. More witnesses, revealed records, maybe even a re-test of some of his blood during that time frame. Or it could reveal absolutely nothing. But the investigation has to be done.

Sadly we have seen too many times that professional athletes "bend the rules" to get healthy or to gain advantage. I sincerely hope that the investigation clears Manning. I would hate to see another sports icon tainted by scandal. But I would not be overly surprised if we are seeing a teary admission on Oprah in a year or two either.

I am not going to argue the legality of the process of the investigation. I simply do not know the specifics.

Perhaps you are correct and the investigation will hit a wall of confidentiality and it ends right there. I am just stating we have seen investigations take turns before. Using the Armstrong investigations. It took several of them and years to collect the right combination of evidence and witnesses. In the MLB investigation there were players in front of Congress professing their innocence. Yet many investigations reveal wrongdoing.

We have no clue where an investigation could lead. More witnesses, revealed records, maybe even a re-test of some of his blood during that time frame. Or it could reveal absolutely nothing. But the investigation has to be done.

Sadly we have seen too many times that professional athletes "bend the rules" to get healthy or to gain advantage. I sincerely hope that the investigation clears Manning. I would hate to see another sports icon tainted by scandal. But I would not be overly surprised if we are seeing a teary admission on Oprah in a year or two either.
    I agree with it all...but how many players were actually punished ? Anyone have to give back contract money or endorsements, anyone go to jail ? No, No, and No. All a big coverup no matter who is involved. Bottom line is if you have enough money to buy the right lawyer (or congressman as they are all for sale too) you can be assured that the worst that will ever happen to you is an asterisk. And by the time this investigation is done, Peyton will be flipping pizzas full time and watching his dough rise (both in the oven and the bank !)

A league investigation because ONE person said that he had HGH delivered to his wife?
    That is hear say.

If Manning had been tested for HGH during regular season when playing and it came back positive, then that is a completely different thing.
    I would like to know the full evidence to which they are basing this investigation on.

The Pats/Brady situation (though handled very badly by the league) was a completely different scenario whereby evidence had been put together and witnesses had come forward which led to a host of events unravelling. This only added fuel to a steadily burning fire.

Are the league to investigate EVERY accusation against NFL players? If so, they'll be investigating every day of the year.

Didn't Al Jazeera recant the statements about Manning anyway?

Funny how the NFL will pressingly pursue this investigation about Manning based on a dog turd report, but burn Brady/Belichick tapes, or fail to convict based on a technicality.

A little oversharing here- but I have to say- the reason for the HGH being shipped to his wife is pretty clear to me. A few years ago I underwent fertility treatment (IVF specifically). HGH is one of the medications they prescribed to me to help produce more eggs. He and his wife have twins that were born in 2011. When purchasing those medications for fertility, the easiest way to get your meds is via mail order pharmacy. It's how all my IVF meds were shipped to me.

Pretty clear to me. I don't blame him for not wanting to just come out and say what the purpose of the meds were- but I'm nearly certain that's what they'll find out.
    Proud to be a lifelong crazed woman and descendant of a Colorado "century family"! (My family has been here since at least 1840)

I'm going to call my buddy at the wall street journal and tell him that according to a source, Cam Newton had a kilo of cocaine delivered to his house 3 weeks ago.
    He'll write a column on it and then hopefully the league investigates prior to the SB.