Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 935

Thread: Elway as a GM

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,820

    Elway as a GM

    5 Years since Elway has taken over and a lot has happened.
    In his second year he fielded the leagues highest ranked offense in NFL history. Denver put up Star Wars numbers and blew out everyone that they faced. Except the Seahawks...

    The following 2 seasons were spent releasing dead wood and restructuring our roster and the results have been astonishing. The team that consisted of the leagues most feared offense became the team with the leagues most feared defense.

    Elway in 5 years has overseen and built a team that has been
    Offense - Number 1 All Time
    Defense - Top 5 All Time.

    So my question is ultimately directed at the haters. By haters, I'm referring to the posters on here that are unfortunate enough to support teams whose own cities don't want them let alone have capable GM's. I've heard a lot of criticism and jealousy come from these people.

    Question. I would like them to name 3 GM's in the NFL right now that have done a better job in 5 years and had more success than Elway.
    Let's hear from you people. Speak up and give your reasoning

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    978
    Elway has turned the ship around. Defensively we have drafted well, developed talent well, and executed on the field. Offensively is quite different. He hasn't drafted much offensive talent. His player development hasn't come as far as I had hoped.

    This offseason will be his toughest. Can he draft some OL and RB talent? Can he retain the core elements of our defense? Those are big questions.

    To your question, Belichick, John Schneider and Kevin Colbert are probably the best GMs. Their consistency and depth is what makes them effective. If Elway can succeed this offseason, I think he joins their company.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Elway has turned the ship around. Defensively we have drafted well, developed talent well, and executed on the field. Offensively is quite different. He hasn't drafted much offensive talent. His player development hasn't come as far as I had hoped.

    This offseason will be his toughest. Can he draft some OL and RB talent? Can he retain the core elements of our defense? Those are big questions.

    To your question, Belichick, John Schneider and Kevin Colbert are probably the best GMs. Their consistency and depth is what makes them effective. If Elway can succeed this offseason, I think he joins their company.
    I tend to think that it is coaching that is what develops players along on the field execution. We all know that Fox was not dynamic in that area.

    Now that he is gone Kubes seems to have a coaching staff that can teach and get the players to give their all.

    John IMO has done well considering where they have drafted over those years excepting that first year always in the 20's or higher IIRC.

    Also have to remember that having fox around for those first years did him no favors in making picks. Now he has a coaching staff that he trusts to help evaluate what the scouting staff brings them to rate for the board.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Elway has turned the ship around. Defensively we have drafted well, developed talent well, and executed on the field. Offensively is quite different. He hasn't drafted much offensive talent. His player development hasn't come as far as I had hoped.

    This offseason will be his toughest. Can he draft some OL and RB talent? Can he retain the core elements of our defense? Those are big questions.

    To your question, Belichick, John Schneider and Kevin Colbert are probably the best GMs. Their consistency and depth is what makes them effective. If Elway can succeed this offseason, I think he joins their company.
    I think with this SB win Elway is already in that company. 2011 Denver was picking 2 overall. He completely reshaped and restructured the entire roster and a SB achieved inside of 5 years. You're right that this offseason is big but hasn't every offseason since 2013's SB run been tough? Anytime you are a perennial playoff team with a SB caliber roster, you will always have tough decisions to make. He has focused on defense since 2013 and we have unbelievable depth. I see him going O-line in first 2 rounds this year.

    I agree though that Schneider, Colbert and Belichick have been the yard stick to shoot for.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,885
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    5 Years since Elway has taken over and a lot has happened.
    In his second year he fielded the leagues highest ranked offense in NFL history. Denver put up Star Wars numbers and blew out everyone that they faced. Except the Seahawks...

    The following 2 seasons were spent releasing dead wood and restructuring our roster and the results have been astonishing. The team that consisted of the leagues most feared offense became the team with the leagues most feared defense.

    Elway in 5 years has overseen and built a team that has been
    Offense - Number 1 All Time
    Defense - Top 5 All Time.

    So my question is ultimately directed at the haters. By haters, I'm referring to the posters on here that are unfortunate enough to support teams whose own cities don't want them let alone have capable GM's. I've heard a lot of criticism and jealousy come from these people.

    Question. I would like them to name 3 GM's in the NFL right now that have done a better job in 5 years and had more success than Elway.
    Let's hear from you people. Speak up and give your reasoning
    That was year 3
    year one Tebow
    year 2 Manning and the ravens playoff game
    year 3 Seahawks killed us and our record seting offense
    year 4 lost to the Colts
    year 5 Superbowl Champs
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    That was year 3
    year one Tebow
    year 2 Manning and the ravens playoff game
    year 3 Seahawks killed us and our record seting offense
    year 4 lost to the Colts
    year 5 Superbowl Champs
    I have to say that it was not so much the seahawks killing us but the coaching staff not having the players ready for the big game.
    We all know that it was not prepared for crowd noise at all.
    we had no plan to protect the QB.
    Our Wrs were intimidated by their DBs.
    the D had no ability to contain wide runs.
    special teams failed to show up.

    That was not Johns fault but Foxes for not having them prepared for THE BIG GAME.

    The only thing that surprised me was John did not fire Fox immediately after the game . Like he did after the next year.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    I have to say that it was not so much the seahawks killing us but the coaching staff not having the players ready for the big game.
    We all know that it was not prepared for crowd noise at all.
    we had no plan to protect the QB.
    Our Wrs were intimidated by their DBs.
    the D had no ability to contain wide runs.
    special teams failed to show up.

    That was not Johns fault but Foxes for not having them prepared for THE BIG GAME.

    The only thing that surprised me was John did not fire Fox immediately after the game . Like he did after the next year.
    Regardless of why they killed us . The Teams been completely flipped in 2 years time so we know how John felt about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,057
    i like how NFL.com is praising elway for building his team primarily through FA, exactly how i have been saying here with the broncos fans acting like i'm totally off base with saying i want to see how elway does when he can't maintain and build his team like that anymore.

    like i have been saying, elway has done a good job so far but its going to take more than signing big name free agents to keep his team competitive now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,057
    broncos lost two more starters this morning, i thought owen daniels was such a great addition last year? or was that a cap casualty?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    That was year 3
    year one Tebow
    year 2 Manning and the ravens playoff game
    year 3 Seahawks killed us and our record seting offense
    year 4 lost to the Colts
    year 5 Superbowl Champs
    Yes quite right, my mistake it was Year 3 though the point of the discussion remains. Rebuilds have taken 2-3 years in Elways case. Restructuring from the McDaniels era and then getting to the SB then restructuring from 2013 and doing somewhat of a Uturn to being back in the SB 2-3 years later. Offense to Defense.
    Impressive.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,885
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    Yes quite right, my mistake it was Year 3 though the point of the discussion remains. Rebuilds have taken 2-3 years in Elways case. Restructuring from the McDaniels era and then getting to the SB then restructuring from 2013 and doing somewhat of a Uturn to being back in the SB 2-3 years later. Offense to Defense.
    Impressive.
    It is extreemly impressive...The guy has been more than any of us could have hoped to be honest. There is no discussion to be had. "Only a fool will try"

    You forgot to mention that yes he built us into a superbowl losing offensive team from the #2 over all pick inthe draft in 2 years and then to a defensive nightmare winning superbowl team 2 years later all the while losing extreemly talented players between superbowl loss to superbowl win..

    I am also impressed with the undrafted Free Agents we always seem to be finding..not to mention taking top 10 draft prospects in the very late first rounds like Roby and Shane Ray when other teams are chicken.. Obviously Talib and Wares replacements .

    Have we missed on any of the big name Free agents we signed? I cant think of one.

    I havent doubted a move the front offise has made in 3 years or better we are a lucky fan base..


    I think the Raiders have a great GM now too so things will be harder but that makes it even better. The Chiefs have a good coach but I am not sure about the GM
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,885
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    You forgot to mention that yes he built us into a superbowl losing offensive team from the #2 over all pick inthe draft in 2 years and then to a defensive nightmare winning superbowl team 2 years later all the while losing extreemly talented players between superbowl loss to superbowl win..

    It is extreemly impressive...The guy has been more than any of us could have hoped to be honest. There is no discussion to be had. "Only a fool will try"

    Just call me nostradamus
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Just call me nostradamus
    name calling is all you can muster, how many starters are you guys going to lose this year alone? you won the SB, be happy about that....staying a contender considering the current circumstances? now that's the true test.

    better grab more tissues, going to be a lot more cryin after this post i'm sure

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,885
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    name calling is all you can muster, how many starters are you guys going to lose this year alone? you won the SB, be happy about that....staying a contender considering the current circumstances? now that's the true test.

    better grab more tissues, going to be a lot more cryin after this post i'm sure
    How many did we lose last season..the season before that..happenes every year and yet we keep on winning..In Elway I trust..


    You I mock..
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    are you talking career or right now? because i don't see how you can say manning is top 5 even healthy.dude will never be a top 5 QB again, he is done.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rainier, WA
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoPower View Post
    So my question is ultimately directed at the haters. By haters, I'm referring to the posters on here that are unfortunate enough to support teams whose own cities don't want them let alone have capable GM's. I've heard a lot of criticism and jealousy come from these people.
    I'd bet all the fans of other teams are long gone from our forum and have begun licking their offseason wounds
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •