Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I loved this year's team.

They proved that there is more than one way to win in the "passing league era".

Folks got all starry eyed with an offense that scored 55 TDs a couple of years ago, but that type of football fell on its face in the biggest game. Reminded me a lot of the run and shoot teams of the 80s and 90s - lots of passing, big regular season stats, unsustainable during the playoffs.

This team didn't do it with "Star Wars" numbers and flashy finesse offense. They did it with good ol fashioned grit, determination and teamwork.

The fan base across the league has become too enamoured with the QB position. This is a team sport, period. The Broncos proved that a never say die attitude coupled with an awesome defense trumps flash and finesse.

Thank you Broncos for bring back football and making QB a position on the team rather than the sole focal point.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post

Folks got all starry eyed with an offense that scored 55 TDs a couple of years ago, but that type of football fell on its face in the biggest game. Reminded me a lot of the run and shoot teams of the 80s and 90s - lots of passing, big regular season stats, unsustainable during the playoffs.

This team didn't do it with "Star Wars" numbers and flashy finesse offense. They did it with good ol fashioned grit, determination and teamwork.

The fan base across the league has become too enamoured with the QB position. This is a team sport, period. The Broncos proved that a never say die attitude coupled with an awesome defense trumps flash and finesse.

Thank you Broncos for bring back football and making QB a position on the team rather than the sole focal point.
    Heard a good quote, "Football is about 11 players doing 1 thing not about 1 player trying to do 11 things..."

Quote Originally Posted by osfantaztic View Post
    Heard a good quote, "Football is about 11 players doing 1 thing not about 1 player trying to do 11 things..."
    I like it. Team above all.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketArm006 View Post

Excellent post!

Some people might think I'm a PM homer. I am most emphatically not! Yeah, I've followed him over the years, admire and respect him and am here probably because of him.

But I will go on record and say this was probably his best year as a NFL player. Let me explain:

A lot of people say that PM changed the way the position is played. And I admit, I enjoyed those "Star War" numbers games. 2013 was awesome.

But Peyton's greatness can be his own worst enemy. Like others have said, 1 being 11 instead of 11 being 1. Cam got a taste of that, lol.

I despise all the who is the GOAT QB talk. I think it makes even TB and PM uncomfortable.

PM had to learn even more humility this year on top of what he has in the past. He said he was at peace and it showed. He had to learn submission (Cam, take note) and not do things "his" way (Cam, take note, lol).

PM haters say the team won in spite of him. LOL, I scratch my head and can only say, "I dare you to go up to VonM, DWare, and other of his team mates and say that. LOL On the Mic'd videos you can hear Von saying to PM,"I love having you as my QB" Huh? Or how about the OL saying Peyton Fn Manning over and over before they got that last TD. That was funny!

This team won as a team and I love it. I could give a rip about PM's stats.

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagonfan101 View Post
    Exactly! Hypotheticals are fun and I engage in them all the time. My wife says I'm too indecisive. "Make up your mind!" LOL, while I'm stuck in hypothetical land.

But that is what so many PM critics are missing. He has the ability to make quick decisions. The average person has no clue of the fast game speed of NFL plays. These are super athletes.

I'm sure everybody on the team and coaches knew the OL was the weakest link. They did what they had to do with what they had and that makes the win even more impressive. They hung in together as a team. Nobody got thrown under the bus, contrary to wishes of some posters on this forum, lol.
    I must say, you have a cool style dude. Not because you are saying good things about Manning, but because you take things a little deeper. The problem with some folks, once they have an opinion, nothing else really matters. I do it myself sometimes. But shielding oneself from fact is a dangerous place to be.

And once again for the record, I am not a huge fan of Peyton Manning. I respect him, and was pumped when we signed him, because at that time, we did not have a bona fide QB. And some of us felt strongly that, if he could play near his potential, we would be in the hunt. And history proves that did come to be, making the SB twice in his four seasons here. It wasn't all about him, but he helped.

Sorry for the "aside". I never want to get into some form of popularity debates, because it becomes more emotional than fact at some point. I was all for Manning until his play deteriorated, at which time I wanted Brock in there as well. And truth be told, for a guy pulling for Manning, I still had thoughts about bringing Brock into The SB if needed. And I like Brock.

Hey, in the end we all won, even if we had a more popular choice. We are The Champions, and one can never take that away from Manning or Oz!
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-13-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Excellent post!

Some people might think I'm a PM homer. I am most emphatically not! Yeah, I've followed him over the years, admire and respect him and am here probably because of him.

But I will go on record and say this was probably his best year as a NFL player. Let me explain:

A lot of people say that PM changed the way the position is played. And I admit, I enjoyed those "Star War" numbers games. 2013 was awesome.

But Peyton's greatness can be his own worst enemy. Like others have said, 1 being 11 instead of 11 being 1. Cam got a taste of that, lol.

I despise all the who is the GOAT QB talk. I think it makes even TB and PM uncomfortable.

PM had to learn even more humility this year on top of what he has in the past. He said he was at peace and it showed. He had to learn submission (Cam, take note) and not do things "his" way (Cam, take note, lol).

PM haters say the team won in spite of him. LOL, I scratch my head and can only say, "I dare you to go up to VonM, DWare, and other of his team mates and say that. LOL On the Mic'd videos you can hear Von saying to PM,"I love having you as my QB" Huh? Or how about the OL saying Peyton Fn Manning over and over before they got that last TD. That was funny!

This team won as a team and I love it. I could give a rip about PM's stats.
    I should have read everything before I last posted. You speak my language bud! You said it the way I feel it. Who cares how you get it done, as long as you do it within the rules. (Take note Pats). Who cares if you have a passer rating of 130. Who cares if you have a receiver with 150 yards. Who cares if you make 3 interceptions. There is no right way to win, especially The SB.

And in Manning's case, maybe cause I'm getting older......I respect his courage and acceptance of what he can no longer do, but still go out there to win. I highly doubt he did it selfishly. Believe me, when you know you are under pressure and can not perform the way you used to, there is little glory and fun, especially when the media and so many fans are critical. He became a regular soldier with a role to play. He knew the expectations. He did not try to do something that would hurt the team. And like a soldier, he accepted it all, while following orders from above. And one of those orders was, to play.

I am not an American, but one of my favourite movies is still Apollo 13,as a testament to American "can do". It could have been seen as a failure. Rather it was wonderfully described as "our finest hour". And it takes a lot of smarts to get what that means. Getting the job done, even if not the way it was meant to be. Saving what can be saved. Accepting the truth, and making the most of it. Being a team, a real team, when the glory is waning.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-13-2016 at 12:22 PM.

This was probably posted already but if not
    SUPER BOWL STATS
    PLAYER (YEAR) ATT/COMP (%) YARDS TD/INT YPA QB RATING
    Peyton Manning (2015) 13/23 (56.5) 141 0/1 6.13 56.6
    John Elway (1998) 12/22 (54.6) 123 0/1 5.59 51.9

Quote Originally Posted by Playsmart View Post
    This was probably posted already but if not
    SUPER BOWL STATS
    PLAYER (YEAR) ATT/COMP (%) YARDS TD/INT YPA QB RATING
    Peyton Manning (2015) 13/23 (56.5) 141 0/1 6.13 56.6
    John Elway (1998) 12/22 (54.6) 123 0/1 5.59 51.9
    You read my mind!!!! I was just looking up Elway's 98 SB stats. How ironic!! But yes, 51.9 passer rating. And though some will say QB stats were less exciting as we go back in time, that doesn't hold water in most cases. Sure, it's tougher to defend these days, with refs throwing flags for the smallest of infractions, and sure, style is a little different. But a good day as a QB was a good day in 98, or 88, or before. Over time, passer ratings are going up, but 51.9 was never good.

However, Elway did score a rushing TD, so he made the most of what he had that day. We won!

And yet another top tier QB who has 2 rings to show for his effort - Ben Roethlisberger. The SB win over Seattle was not about Ben that day, based on these stats:

9 of 21 for 123 yards / 0 TDs / 2 interceptions for a PR of 22.6!

Interestingly, like Elway, Roethlisberger scored a TD that day. So, some consolation.

But the history and record books do not care how you won. It's how many.

As an another aside, I do believe you are deserving of some decent recognition for even making it to The Super Bowl.

As far as the stats go - I think the Suoer Bowls just have a different flow all together. I know I'm stating the obvious however the game is different. All the hype over two weeks, families and friends there puts more pressure and defenses are amped up. All the pre-game activities on the field, longer half time show, more commercials and camera flashes.

Not sure about the average QB ratings - the Super Bowl is football game but it's not if you know what I mean.

LOL Classy save

Back to your first post. I still haven't seen the game in its entirety. Maybe when I go back home after this weekend. I have watched all the clips I could find. Really like the long mic'd videos of each half. Just finished reading through the SB Game thread. What a hoot, lol!

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30..._photo_gallery

If PM's average snap to throw was 2.01 secs and CN's was 3.08, then I now have a different opinion, w/o having seen the whole game.

I will now posit that if CN was behind Denver's Swiss cheese OL and PM was behind Car's OL with the extra time to throw, everybody would be singing the praises of Car's defense and not Denver's and Denver probably loses. Just my opinion, don't get mad.

I also think that putting Brock in, like some posters were crying for would probably have led to a loss as well. Carolina's defense was 2nd best, no? PM had no time to go through his reads. 2 seconds is fast!
    Very good stat. And in spite of that ultra-quick PM release, he was still sacked five times in the SB. Five times! Even though we were running it a bunch. And that site you found also had this stat about PM during the regular season:

Peyton Manning averaged just 2.01 seconds from snap to throw, compared to 2.21 over the whole season. Cam Newton held the ball 0.6 seconds longer on pass attempts in the Super Bowl than his season average (3.08 to 2.48).
    Even 2.21 seconds to throw is brutally fast, especially if you and your receivers are learning a new offense. It shows with hard data just how bad the Oline was last season, and that PM and Kubiak were running a crippled offense designed more to get the ball out super-quick and minimize mistakes and sack potential because the Oline couldn't pass-protect to save its life.

In the Super Bowl, that proved to be a wise decision. If you're still taking five sacks with all those running plays and throwing the ball in 2.01 seconds, the Panthers D was very, very dangerous. Which another stat on your site shows:

The players with the fastest sack time are Panthers' Kony Ealy with 3.6 seconds; Broncos' Von Miller with 3.0 seconds; Broncos' DeMarcus Ware with 2.7 seconds; Panthers' Luke Kuechly with 2.1 seconds; Panthers' Charles Johnson with 4.2 seconds.
    If you've got to get the ball out in 2.01 seconds because Kuechly will take your head off less than a tenth of a second later, about the only pass plays you can do in that situation are really short routes, which of course the defense can clamp down on. So you run the ball a lot to try to slow down the pass rush, hence our bushel of three-and-outs where the playcalling was run, run, pass on 3rd and long.

Peyton Manning contributed plenty to our Super Bowl win, all this lazy commentary about the defense carrying him notwithstanding. He contributed not in the plays he made so much as the negative plays he didn't make, which still meant he had to use his skill at reading defenses and ultra-quick decisionmaking to beat the pass rush with a swinging gate of a line protecting him.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
    Very good stat. And in spite of that ultra-quick PM release, he was still sacked five times in the SB. Five times! Even though we were running it a bunch. And that site you found also had this stat about PM during the regular season:

Even 2.21 seconds to throw is brutally fast, especially if you and your receivers are learning a new offense. It shows with hard data just how bad the Oline was last season, and that PM and Kubiak were running a crippled offense designed more to get the ball out super-quick and minimize mistakes and sack potential because the Oline couldn't pass-protect to save its life.

In the Super Bowl, that proved to be a wise decision. If you're still taking five sacks with all those running plays and throwing the ball in 2.01 seconds, the Panthers D was very, very dangerous. Which another stat on your site shows:

If you've got to get the ball out in 2.01 seconds because Kuechly will take your head off less than a tenth of a second later, about the only pass plays you can do in that situation are really short routes, which of course the defense can clamp down on. So you run the ball a lot to try to slow down the pass rush, hence our bushel of three-and-outs where the playcalling was run, run, pass on 3rd and long.

Peyton Manning contributed plenty to our Super Bowl win, all this lazy commentary about the defense carrying him notwithstanding. He contributed not in the plays he made so much as the negative plays he didn't make, which still meant he had to use his skill at reading defenses and ultra-quick decisionmaking to beat the pass rush with a swinging gate of a line protecting him.
    Well said!

Which leads me to believe quite staunchly that we will see a marked improvement in our Oline next season. I can only imagine how good we will be with a new face or two up front, getting the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I should have read everything before I last posted. You speak my language bud! You said it the way I feel it....
    Thanks for the props! My play time is almost over, so in case I don't get to post much more on here due to work, etc., l want to thank you for elevating the "play" on this forum. I know when I click on your posts, I won't be disappointed. You are truly classy.

Peace, my friend.

Thanks for the props! My play time is almost over, so in case I don't get to post much more on here due to work, etc., l want to thank you for elevating the "play" on this forum. I know when I click on your posts, I won't be disappointed. You are truly classy.

Peace, my friend.
    Thank you bud! This place would be even better with folks like you on board!

Brady and Newton played vs. one of the greatest defenses in NFL history. If you put Manning against the Broncos' D, I don't think he would have a passer rating better than 10 lol.