Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Last 2 Games....Manning Had Better Passer Rating Than Brady And Newton

I know that this has a lot to do with our D, but if someone would have told me that Manning would beat Brady and Newton in passer rating, in the last 2 games, I would have been quite happy. Truth is, he barely exceeded Newton - 56.6 vs 55.4, but he beat Tommy by a lot, 90.1 vs 56.4.

A few things:
    1) Our D!!!!!
    2) Neither QB looked good in The SB
    3) Manning was playing the role of a game manager

But you know what, The Pats D is pretty good, and The Panthers are really good. So in the end, it's not by how much, but how. Given the tools, the importance of the games, etc. I believe our strategy was effective from an O perspective. CJ's running was a factor, and being conservative was the only approach we could take given Manning's level of play. We used his brain, and we capitalized when we could. The 2 pass TDs against The Pats were important, as was the 1st drive of The SB, when we took the lead.

I know, not as good as we hoped, but good enough to win.

And yes, one more time, THANK YOU WADE AND THE D!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I know that this has a lot to do with our D, but if someone would have told me that Manning would beat Brady and Newton in passer rating, in the last 2 games, I would have been quite happy. Truth is, he barely exceeded Newton - 56.6 vs 55.4, but he beat Tommy by a lot, 90.1 vs 56.4.

A few things:
    1) Our D!!!!!

But you know what, The Pats D is pretty good, and The Panthers are really good. So in the end, it's not by how much, but how. Given the tools, the importance of the games, etc. I believe our strategy was effective from an O perspective. CJ's running was a factor, and being conservative was the only approach we could take given Manning's level of play. We used his brain, and we capitalized when we could. The 2 pass TDs against The Pats were important, as was the 1st drive of The SB, when we took the lead.

Per no. 2: Put any other QB in Cam's place. Different outcome? Doubt it. Didn't the D gobsmack the "great" Tom Brady 2 wks ago?

Put any other QB in Peyton's Place (ha, ha). Different outcome? Not so sure. Didn't Carolina go 17 - 1 and manhandled Sea and Az? Carolina had an outstanding defense. Just not as good as Denver's. To say any QB would have been better than PM is to denigrate Car's defense which would then cheapen the victory.

I originally was disappointed with his stats, but after time to reflect, I think it was the perfect outcome.

The Broncos only crowd: very happy
    The Broncos 1st, PM 2nd crowd: should be happy
    The PM 1st, Broncos 2nd crowd: should be happy
    The Broncos 1st, PM last crowd: extremely happy (Broncos won in spite of PM, so they say, lol)
    The Neutral Crowd that likes defensive battles: good game. My son loved it, though he wanted Denver to win.
    The Neutral Crowd that likes off. fireworks: probably meh, but who cares, lol
    The PM haters Crowd: Pissed off

What's not to like in that list? lol

I won't go down that road, but had we lost, I have a sense there would have been some anti "you know who" sentiments.

But that's theory, because reality states that......our team of guys won!!!! Nothing else is relevant.

I won't go down that road, but had we lost, I have a sense there would have been some anti "you know who" sentiments.

But that's theory, because reality states that......our team of guys won!!!! Nothing else is relevant.
    Its all good. I have enjoyed reading many of your posts over the years. You are one of many classy posters on this forum. There will always be the few disgruntled ones.

Its just a game and entertainment. I find it humorous that some fans are fine with coveting and receiving players from other teams (think DWare from Dallas, etc) but will have utter contempt for people like me who are just fans of the game and enjoy watching good honorable players wherever.

Some people create a fantasy world with football and then get lost in it. It becomes sad when they spew their vitriol because their fantasy does not really fill the void that is in their lives. Its like watching shoppers practically (and sometimes in reality) kill each other over some coveted item at the store.

But this world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through. My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue........

Peace to you, friend

Great thread.

Just don't expect replies from the people belonging to the last crowd on bandwagon's list, as things like facts and logic elude them.

Let the roasting of the beloved sheriff begin

Quote Originally Posted by bandwagonfan101 View Post
    Per no. 2: Put any other QB in Cam's place. Different outcome? Doubt it. Didn't the D gobsmack the "great" Tom Brady 2 wks ago?

Put any other QB in Peyton's Place (ha, ha). Different outcome? Not so sure. Didn't Carolina go 17 - 1 and manhandled Sea and Az? Carolina had an outstanding defense. Just not as good as Denver's. To say any QB would have been better than PM is to denigrate Car's defense which would then cheapen the victory.

I originally was disappointed with his stats, but after time to reflect, I think it was the perfect outcome.

The Broncos only crowd: very happy
    The Broncos 1st, PM 2nd crowd: should be happy
    The PM 1st, Broncos 2nd crowd: should be happy
    The Broncos 1st, PM last crowd: extremely happy (Broncos won in spite of PM, so they say, lol)
    The Neutral Crowd that likes defensive battles: good game. My son loved it, though he wanted Denver to win.
    The Neutral Crowd that likes off. fireworks: probably meh, but who cares, lol
    The PM haters Crowd: Pissed off

What's not to like in that list? lol
    This is what I've been screaming all along. Critics continue harping on Peyton. Ben wasnt great in his loss, Brady got smashed on, Carson dang near was a QB for the panthers, Russell got lit for half a game, Cam looked good till Sunday. QB just wasn't the main man this year

No worries. Not trying to start up something. For most Broncos fans, all we wanted was a win, no matter who, no matter how, no matter what. Not trying to convert anyone.

Mind you, this is a piece of cake in terms of response (as in little) compared to what a loss would have brought on.

BUT WE WON!

Quote Originally Posted by Doogansquest View Post
    Great thread.

Just don't expect replies from the people belonging to the last crowd on bandwagon's list, as things like facts and logic elude them.
    Pot, meet kettle.

My point for this thread was as follows:
    1) Knowing how Manning struggled, and not being too sure about our chances to go all the way, the fact Manning beat both QBs in passer rating, and the fact we won both games, would have been a very nice thing to know in advance, given the odds of both were firmly against us
    2) We will never know the outcome had Brock played. I have confidence in him, so he probably would have come through as well. Regardless, he was always there, waiting for his chance to help. He will be rewarded!
    3) Of course, I'm still a little giddy about our SB win, so I am digging up stats and stories as they hit me.

So.....lets be happy and keep this positive. The weight is off (as I write elsewhere), we have our 3rd Lombardi, and we have a very bright future ahead!!!!

A few things:
    1) Our D!!!!!

Nice observation.
    Just consider that Cam Newton was the league MVP this year, and had an awful Super Bowl. OK, everyone credits the Denver defense, and with good reason.
    Well, we need to mention, that Carolina's defense was also top rated, therefore, would it be fair to surmise that they had a hand in Manning's SB performance?

Quote Originally Posted by TheArtofManning View Post
    Nice observation.
    Just consider that Cam Newton was the league MVP this year, and had an awful Super Bowl. OK, everyone credits the Denver defense, and with good reason.
    Well, we need to mention, that Carolina's defense was also top rated, therefore, would it be fair to surmise that they had a hand in Manning's SB performance?
    Yes indeed. I mentioned that somewhere as well. Carolina has a fabulous D. In that regard, Manning's performance against The Pats was quite respectable. 90 plus is doing your job, especially in the AFC final.

Sometimes when I get a little selfish, I wonder about how we would have done had Manning been near his peak. So many of his passes were "just off" this season, when he got more reps.

Then again, it matters not. We won. Our D paved the way. Who cares anymore!

No worries. Not trying to start up something. For most Broncos fans, all we wanted was a win, no matter who, no matter how, no matter what. Not trying to convert anyone.

Mind you, this is a piece of cake in terms of response (as in little) compared to what a loss would have brought on.

BUT WE WON!
    Again, it's all good, lol. I hope you didn't think I had a problem with your post. It was fine. I enjoy your posts. I enjoy well thought out logical discussions. I don't discount emotions (they are a vital part of our psyche), but some people on this board, not you, let their emotions rule their cognitive thinking instead of logic and reality.

The game was a defensive battle. I'm looking forward to eventually being able to see the game in its entirety so I can enjoy all the nuances. It'll be fun knowing the final outcome, lol.

It was definitely a team win and I have even more respect with the way most of the players handled themselves.

I wish a few people on this forum would follow the lead of their "idols" and be respectful to friends and foes alike. E.g. PM being gracious to Josh and Cam after the game. Members of the secondary refusing to "diss" Cam in an interview. Team members happy to pull the load when their mates are struggling, etc.

I'm happy for you guys and I will stick around after PM retires. After all, I'm a little "emotionally invested" in a few other of your players ( E.S. is quite a guy!) and I enjoy interaction with "real" people on this forum.

Yes indeed. I mentioned that somewhere as well. Carolina has a fabulous D. In that regard, Manning's performance against The Pats was quite respectable. 90 plus is doing your job, especially in the AFC final.

Sometimes when I get a little selfish, I wonder about how we would have done had Manning been near his peak. So many of his passes were "just off" this season, when he got more reps.

Then again, it matters not. We won. Our D paved the way. Who cares anymore!
    Lol at the bold. I felt the same way at first, but , think about it. If PM had a great SB stat wise, the spotlight would have been even more on him. But that is not how the season played out. The D did the heavy work, so it was only fitting that they got the vast majority of the praise in the SB.

They also seemed very happy to carry "their Sheriff" on their backs to the win. But NFL players are mercenaries anyway. Its entertainment. Its a business. They make lots of money to play a game. For some people, not you, who turn this whole "fantasy" into some altruistic endeavor is quaint if not right laughable

I'm a big PM fan, classy guy and gave us a lot of good memories, and ever since he went down I argued with people that he should be the starter in the playoffs as he can manage the game better then Brock.... but the reality is that he is a shell of his former self and completely finished, and has been for over a year. He contributed very little in the playoffs and almost nothing in the SB.

I would be amazed if he doesn't retire, and even more amazed if anyone wants to play him next season