• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Emily Diana
    Starter
    • Oct 2013

Sweeping sex assault suit filed against University of Tennessee

- Sweeping sex assault suit filed against University of Tennessee -

"Six women filed a federal lawsuit on Tuesday claiming the University of Tennessee has created a student culture that enables sexual assaults by student-athletes, especially football players, and then uses an unusual, legalistic adjudication process that is biased against victims who step forward.

The lawsuit, filed by plaintiffs identified only as "Jane Does," accuses five Tennessee athletes of sexual assault. They are former basketball player Yemi Makanjuola, former football players A.J. Johnson, Michael Williams and Riyahd Jones and a current football player named as a "John Doe."

The lawsuit also details an incident involving a female student who says she was sexually assaulted by a nonathlete, who was named a John Doe. The alleged assault took place after attending a football team party at Vol Hall, a campus dorm where she was served drinks by former UT player Treyvon Paulk, the lawsuit says." ...

Six women say UT has created a student culture that enables sexual assaults by student-athletes, especially football players.
  • Emily Diana
    Starter
    • Oct 2013

-Lawsuit: Tennessee player assaulted by teammates for helping rape victim-

"University of Tennessee football players confronted and assaulted wide receiver Drae Bowles as retribution for helping a woman who said she was raped by then-Volunteer players A.J. Johnson and Mike Williams, according to a federal lawsuit filed in Nashville on Tuesday.

Bowles took the woman to a hospital on the night of the alleged rape in November 2014 and supported her decision to report the incident to authorities, according to the lawsuit.

While the woman, a student-athlete, was meeting with executive senior associate athletics director Jon Gilbert, senior associate athletics director Mike Ward and her coach, she received a message from her roommate "who was witnessing at that moment several football players jumping" Bowles, the lawsuit says. The woman informed the athletics officials of the incident and was told they would “look into it,” according to the suit. The lawsuit says "athletic coaches were present during that altercation."

Days later, the woman learned that Bowles was assaulted a second time at the team facility by the same players, the lawsuit says. She reported the second assault to university administrators as well." ...

Comment

• xX-Bronco-Xx
      Is this the real life?
      • Jul 2005

Yeah, don't think Peyton wants any part of that organization now.

Comment

• JacobBrenzler
        Practice Squad
        • Apr 2016

Looks like a wiki page was created for Bowles: https://www.everipedia.com/drae-bowles/

Comment

• Emily Diana
          Starter
          • Oct 2013

- University of Tennessee sexual assault allegations are troubling -

..."Despite my unwavering allegiance, I remain troubled by the continuing reports of how women are treated at my university. I know that this lawsuit is far more serious than that.

I keep waiting for an athletic director, a chancellor or a coach to stop defending the “culture” and state unequivocally that they will protect women on our campuses and vigorously discipline anyone and everyone who violates that code. If the lawsuit is even remotely accurate and justified, the public wants UT to take any necessary measure to correct these problems in order to demonstrate that the school will not tolerate assault of any kind.

I don’t know about you, but every quote I read or snippet I see on TV from UT athletic director Dave Hart lessens my confidence about how things were, or will be handled." ...

Comment

• Axemaster
            Special Teams
            • Jan 2009

Seems to be a lot of this going on. Baylor's bout to go down too.
            Get NCAA College Football news, scores, stats, poll rankings & more for your favorite college teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

Art Briles needs to go to Prison.
            sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

• DrunkPanda
              Banned User
              • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Emily Diana View Post
              - University of Tennessee sexual assault allegations are troubling -

..."Despite my unwavering allegiance, I remain troubled by the continuing reports of how women are treated at my university. I know that this lawsuit is far more serious than that.

I keep waiting for an athletic director, a chancellor or a coach to stop defending the “culture” and state unequivocally that they will protect women on our campuses and vigorously discipline anyone and everyone who violates that code. If the lawsuit is even remotely accurate and justified, the public wants UT to take any necessary measure to correct these problems in order to demonstrate that the school will not tolerate assault of any kind.

I don’t know about you, but every quote I read or snippet I see on TV from UT athletic director Dave Hart lessens my confidence about how things were, or will be handled." ...

http://college.usatoday.com/2016/04/...are-troubling/
              If Butch Jones was having a bad season, I bet you anything, Tennessee's AD would fire him and cite the rape allegations as the reason why. But since he's winning, there is just deafening silence on the subject from Tennesee's management. Tennessee's culture is sick and they deserve the death penalty. All of the SEC plays fast and loose with the rules, but Tennessee goes a step further than even the rest of the SEC

Comment

• DrunkPanda
                Banned User
                • Oct 2004

This season collapse and probable firing couldn't have happened to a more deserving person than Butch Jones. As I said earlier this season, Tennessee wasn't going to do anything to him when it looked like he was turning them around. But now that the Vols have fallen flat on their faces, now the AD is going to play the morally superior card and fire him, citing all the dirty offseason stuff that's happened under his watch most likely. Good for Butch

Comment

Working...
                X