Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    31,926

    Talib Fined $26,044 For Penalties In SB50

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...alties-in-sb50

    By Marc Sessler
    Around the NFL Writer

    Just minutes after winning Super Bowl 50, Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib predicted he would be fined for two egregious penalties in Denver's 24-10 win over the Carolina Panthers.

    He wasn't wrong.

    NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport confirmed Friday that Talib was docked a combined $26,044 for two separate personal fouls -- facemask and taunting -- in the game's first half, per an NFL spokesman.

    "Oh, it was all good. B.S. flags," Talib said after the win. "One of them was on our sideline, the guy was talking on our sideline. One I just did on purpose, you know, I just had to show him. It's probably going to be a fine, but hey, we're world champs."

    Fair point. Talib doesn't regret trading in the cash for a Super Bowl ring, but his penalties would have turned into a talking point had Denver lost. The taunting flag was especially unnecessary, but Talib does things his own way.

    It's fair to wonder if that will continue next season, with Commissioner Roger Goodell lobbying the NFL's Competition Committee to consider ejecting players who draw two personal fouls in a game.

    That's a conversation for another day. This is one league-mandated fine Talib won't mind paying.

    In addition, Rapoport reported that Denver's Malik Jackson and Carolina's Joe Webb were each fined $8,681 for unnecessary roughness.

    ~~~~~~~~~

    Not surprised. Talib's actions were worthy of punishment. I was actually concerned that he could get thrown out of the game, or suspended, given the amount of force he put into the face mask tackle.

    I like the guy, but he needs to contain some of his enthusiasm. Anyway, not a new topic. Also, Malik got a smaller fine for roughing. He too has been a bit on the edgy side at times, but both are truly good players.

    My only thing....sometimes teams, in this case Ds, can get a real swagger. And swagger is ok as long as it does not go overboard, does not intentionally injure, and overall, potentially cause too much negative impact. Talib's foul earlier this season could have caused us the game. It's a style I know, but believe me, swagger becomes meaningless if you can't deliver. Lets keep delivering without hurting ourselves.
    Last edited by CanDB; 02-12-2016 at 03:00 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,481
    He's lucky he didn't get suspended a game for next year.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    229
    Question: Does this end it? Or is there still a chance of suspension? Denver Post said they think no suspension. Hope they are correct..
    Last edited by Playsmart; 02-12-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: new info

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anywhere I want on 18 wheels
    Posts
    8,263
    The reaction to the facemask is excessive.

    No ejection was warranted nor a suspension.

    The league got it right with the fine.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,481
    If that's all he gets, he'd gladly do the same thing again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centennial, CO
    Posts
    5,544
    Part of the fine was for not wearing knee pads. He might want to appeal, but I don't think he's really worried about the fines. HE HAS A RING BABY!!!!!
    Super Bowl Bound! AGAIN!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,257
    Part of the fine was the bogus "taunting"? The taunting call shouldn't have even been called, it was 4th down and Car was going to punt so I think Talib would've been on the sideline taking his helmet off anyway and that's where he was - on the sideline. Also this is a championship game and your going get nitpicky and call a penalty for "taunting" as if these adults can't take a little trash talk?
    If they're going to nitpick than be fair and call the player on Car's sideline that took a shot at Von when he tackled Scam.
    I never did see what it was that Malik supposedly was call for?

    I do think a rule that a player gets ejected after 2 personal fouls would be a good idea.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mora View Post
    If that's all he gets, he'd gladly do the same thing again.
    I hope so, It's called saving a Touch Down....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Playsmart View Post
    I hope so, It's called saving a Touch Down....
    Hopefully nobody gets their neck destroyed by it. How would you have felt if Keuchly tackled Peyton like that to take him out of the game? I don't wish that on anybody. It could break someones neck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mora View Post
    Hopefully nobody gets their neck destroyed by it. How would you have felt if Keuchly tackled Peyton like that to take him out of the game? I don't wish that on anybody. It could break someones neck.
    There's no precedent for suspending a player for a facemask penalty. And anyone who hasn't seen far worse facemask tackles than what Talib did should consider moving their Posts to the "Smack" section. Especially a fan of another team who seems to have made a home on this DENVER BRONCOS Forum.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    676
    Well I'm surprised he didn't get suspended. The foul saved a TD and is a clear case of where the benefit outweighs the punishment. Just like committing a PI in the end zone. Until the NFL changes the rules, players will continue to commit them. However, in this case he should have let go a bit earlier instead of slinging the guy to the ground like he did.

    But that's Talib. He plays with a lot of fire and isn't afraid to mix it up with the best of them. It has always been a joy seeing him cover WRs like Steve Smith, who plays the same way. I was hopeful practicing against Talib would toughen up D. Thomas, but it hasn't.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    There's no precedent for suspending a player for a facemask penalty. And anyone who hasn't seen far worse facemask tackles than what Talib did should consider moving their Posts to the "Smack" section. Especially a fan of another team who seems to have made a home on this DENVER BRONCOS Forum.
    I'm not smack talking. I just believe that Talib should be suspended a game for intentionally tackling by the facemask like that. I think you're being a little sensitive here. That is not smack talk. Many Denver fans hold the same opinion as I do.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gtown
    Posts
    4,222
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver View Post
    Well I'm surprised he didn't get suspended. The foul saved a TD and is a clear case of where the benefit outweighs the punishment. Just like committing a PI in the end zone. Until the NFL changes the rules, players will continue to commit them. However, in this case he should have let go a bit earlier instead of slinging the guy to the ground like he did.

    But that's Talib. He plays with a lot of fire and isn't afraid to mix it up with the best of them. It has always been a joy seeing him cover WRs like Steve Smith, who plays the same way. I was hopeful practicing against Talib would toughen up D. Thomas, but it hasn't.
    Under what specific NFL rule should Talib have been suspended?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,481
    Quote Originally Posted by gtown53 View Post
    Under what specific NFL rule should Talib have been suspended?
    Didn't Suh get suspended for stomping on players?

    Talib's tackle was even more dangerous.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    229
    There were 101 Face Mask penalties in 2015. That would be a lot of suspensions...No one said this wasn't a dangerous sport.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •