Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Curse of the Franchise Tag

So under Elway, Clady, Prater, Thomas all have received the franchise tag and disappointed after getting a fat contract. Does it continue with Miller?

Boo this man! Lol jk. I hope not because his contract will make DTs look affordable.

Would you consider erasing your thread - put the curse back in the box

Well none of those aforementioned players are generational talent players like Miller, so the answer is NO.

Quote Originally Posted by kapzk View Post
    Well none of those aforementioned players are generational talent players like Miller, so the answer is NO.
    Whew. Thank you. I feel better

No such thing. And at least prater was only his disease, not his play that disappointed. *sarcasm*

Isn't there still hope that we can sign Von to a long term detail and not have to tag him?

DT didn't deserve that contract

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    Isn't there still hope that we can sign Von to a long term detail and not have to tag him?

Yes there is.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    No we used the tag today on Von.

Quote Originally Posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    That's true. he isn't. Time will show it to you as well. Miller had a pretty average year in the regular season...that's what you will get going forward. I'm really not sure why so many here think he is this once in a lifetime type player. Very good, yes. once in a lifetime, best player in the league? no.
    You do realize that once in generation players can coexist correct? Obviously if you translate the word verbatim that doesn't make any sense. I get you there. But realize that this misnomer of player categorization is just that...a misnomer? LT, Derrick Thomas and Reggie White all overlapped. All once in a generation type of a player.

Von Miller has one of the best "first steps" in football that I, or many, have ever seen. He, statistically, didn't have a great season this year, but we still won a SB because of his efforts and immediate impact as a player, but more importantly as a pass rusher. If you wish to bring up stats....you have to realize that his first 4 years as a Bronco were in a 4-3 scheme. He will continue to improve in this scheme and "eventually" will get some holding calls thrown our way. To believe that he is replaceable is your opinion, and I applaud you by sticking to your guns, but I just REALLY think you are wrong.
    Last edited by Gbt31; 03-02-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    New England Patriots GM

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    You do realize that once in generation players can coexist correct? Obviously if you translate the word verbatim that doesn't make any sense. I get you there. But realize that this misnomer of player categorization is just that...a misnomer? LT, Derrick Thomas and Reggie White all overlapped. All once in a generation type of a player.

Von Miller has one of the best "first steps" in football that I, or many, have ever seen. He, statistically, didn't have a great season this year, but we still won a SB because of his efforts and immediate impact as a player, but more importantly as a pass rusher. If you wish to bring up stats....you have to realize that his first 4 years as a Bronco were in a 4-3 scheme. He will continue to improve in this scheme and "eventually" will get some holding calls thrown our way. To believe that he is replaceable is your opinion, and I applaud you by sticking to your guns, but I just REALLY think you are wrong.
    Von's definitely one of the best on defense in the league now, and he possesses that first step uniqueness that's very rare. There's no doubt that given the right scheme and players around him, his skills can come out in full force (just ask "Superman"...LMAO). He's worth the going rate as one of the best on defense, no doubt about it. I'm hoping the Broncos can reach an agreement, but as this thread title says, I'm also hoping that he doesn't let off that throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManningMelon View Post
    Von's definitely one of the best on defense in the league now, and he possesses that first step uniqueness that's very rare. There's no doubt that given the right scheme and players around him, his skills can come out in full force (just ask "Superman"...LMAO). He's worth the going rate as one of the best on defense, no doubt about it. I'm hoping the Broncos can reach an agreement, but as this thread title says, I'm also hoping that he doesn't let off that throttle.
    Me either. Prater was just a move to keep a drunk with a steel rod as a leg. Clady....don't even get me started. I have posted numerous times how I think he has been the most overrated player on this team for the past 5 years. Never have been a fan. I know I will be in minority when I say this...but I think Cutler's mobility and pocket presence hid his pass protection "prowess."

DT...I got nothing. I am probably his biggest fan...and still am, but man did really disappoint me this year. Got to eat some crow cooked well done by Garfield.

Von is WAY beyond the talent level of any player listed above.
    New England Patriots GM

Quote Originally Posted by Gbt31 View Post
    ...Von is WAY beyond the talent level of any player listed above.
    I agree with you on assessment of the other players. Clady's good, but not worth that money. I was actually suspect about DT getting the coin. He's no doubt a top 10 receiver, but I think his numbers were a bit overinflated thanks to the high-flying Manning offense. Von, however, is definitely special and near the top of the heap all-time. Trick is how Elway manages this, while retaining the motivation to keep him performing. Maybe simply having that crazy defense with good players is enough to let Miller's performance out of the cage and massaging his ego? We know the guy can do it, and keep on the throttle the whole game (that really blows me away).
    Last edited by TheManningMelon; 03-02-2016 at 10:13 AM.

No believe in "curses". Me believe in probabilities, and both random and factual based outcomes. And yes, I believe in long term contracts that will, in this case, be signed before too long!