• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

Is Coffee Over Rated?

NO

Pretty flexible eh? Truth is, I am almost addicted.....for sure in the morning! Something about the taste and the smell, just makes me feel like a good day is ahead. And for me, nothing complements a good breakfast better, even just toast.....definitely most desserts. And I sometimes wonder if the world would be a lot less productive if coffee was not available every am. Some folks can't get out of first gear without a hit.....I think I fit the need for a hit!!!

I love dark roast. At home I alter my selection.....sometimes Seattle's Best, Starbucks, Tim Horton's. And when we go out, there are a number of restaurants that make coffee really good. Rich and dark, full bodied, with a wonderful aroma. And coffee is such a great drink when gathering with the "pals". Next week we renew our sessions, now that all the boys are back from winter getaways, and Canadian weather starts to warm up a little. Already craving that apple fritter that I will consume.....not your best breakfast, I know!

Coffee also brings back great memories....like when we used to watch folk music at coffee shops. That's a long time ago. I used to like the reference, the "think drink". There was a cool vibe back in the day, going to university, watching the world change, listening to the music. Yes, there was a whole lot of cool back then.

But there are good options. Tea is popular, and some love hot chocolate. Those drinks are fine to me. In fact, it's time I tried tea again. Used to love it when I was young.

Last note, I always read medical reports that I concur with. And even coffee, in moderation, has some real upside. That message, along with the multiple tangible/intangibles that make me love it, all add to the enjoyment.

Time for a nice sip of a perfectly brewed pot!:thumb:
  • Grandpa
    Special Teams
    • Mar 2004

No; in fact, right now, it's probably under-rated. Recent (within the past 10 years) data shows that caffeinated coffee contains huge amounts of antioxidants, and even a chemical that produces a reaction in the enzymes of the brain that can stimulate new brain cell growth.

Think of it .... we spent how many billions of dollars (?) creating an industry to REMOVE caffeine from coffee, and it turns out the science was incomplete, if not outright wrong.

A summary of 27 recent studies that show possible caffeine health benefits as well as research related to the health benefits of caffeinated coffee.

But that's not surprising. I remember when the Surgeon General warned all of us about the dangers of consuming sugar. Whole industries sprang up over night, pushing out sugar substitutes ..... that eventually proved to be more harmful than the sugar they were meant to replace. For example, Splenda is reportedly more akin to DDT than a beverage sweetener. Several studies out there report that the use of artificial sweeteners, in limited quantities, can be beneficial to the body. The very same limited quantity caveat that applies to the use of regular sugar.

Anything can be toxic to the human body in large enough quantities. Water, an absolutely essential commodity to human life, can become poisonous if a large enough quantity is drank; you can even drown in it. Time, in a large quantity, is ALWAYS fatal. But caffeinated coffee? Improve your memory; drink some.

Besides, decaffeinated coffee is like kissing your sister ..... you get a warm feeling inside, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Grandpa; 03-22-2016, 12:12 PM.
    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

• Spice 1
      Football Immortal
      • Sep 2004

Coffee. The cocaine alternative for responsible people.

Comment

• 58Miller
        Football Immortal
        • Jul 2013

NO
        Not to me!
        At 37 years old, married with kids and no longer able to physically or financially compete in my favorite hobbies (Rec league BBall, Snow boarding, and surfing), Coffee is one of the few things I still am able to enjoy, when I wake up the thought of drinking my coffee gets me out of bed.
        sigpic

Comment

• johntbronco
          DaCap Man!
          • Jan 2013

At work they give us Starbucks coffee. You think that would be a GOOD thing. But, it actually is total crap.
          Nothing like the coffee you get at the Starbucks store.

I am addicted to coffee. I like to grind my own coffee where it is fresh. Am I a snob?

I like it real strong and don't like sugary type coffees.

Comment

• CanDB
            Football Immortal
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
            No; in fact, right now, it's probably under-rated. Recent (within the past 10 years) data shows that caffeinated coffee contains huge amounts of antioxidants, and even a chemical that produces a reaction in the enzymes of the brain that can stimulate new brain cell growth.

Think of it .... we spent how many billions of dollars (?) creating an industry to REMOVE caffeine from coffee, and it turns out the science was incomplete, if not outright wrong.

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/top-...ealth-benefits
            No wonder I like to hang with you bud!!:thumb:

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
            Coffee. The cocaine alternative for responsible people.
            Well, we're responsible, so.......YES!!!

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
            NO
            Not to me!
            At 37 years old, married with kids and no longer able to physically or financially compete in my favorite hobbies (Rec league BBall, Snow boarding, and surfing), Coffee is one of the few things I still am able to enjoy, when I wake up the thought of drinking my coffee gets me out of bed.
            You are a quality coffee player!!
            Last edited by CanDB; 03-22-2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• CanDB
              Football Immortal
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
              At work they give us Starbucks coffee. You think that would be a GOOD thing. But, it actually is total crap.
              Nothing like the coffee you get at the Starbucks store.

I am addicted to coffee. I like to grind my own coffee where it is fresh. Am I a snob?

I like it real strong and don't like sugary type coffees.
              I always knew you were a "grinder" JT!

Comment

• 58Miller
                Football Immortal
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Now wonder I like to hang with you bud!!:thumb:

Well, we're responsible, so.......YES!!!

You are a quality coffee player!!!
                I'm like the Matt Paradis of Coffee drinking, I don't look the part, and it isn't pretty, but I get the job done.
                Last edited by 58Miller; 03-22-2016, 04:15 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

• Grandpa
                  Special Teams
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by johntbronco View Post
                  At work they give us Starbucks coffee.
                  I'm like John Pinette. I can't drink Starbucks coffee. They're too slow, the lines are too long; I'd be dead by the time I got to the front of the line. I have to stop at Dunkin' Donuts to get coffee so I can stand in line at Starbucks to get coffee. "Hey! You got coffee up there? Why don't you DRINK some of it and get this line movin'?"
                  --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

• brianmcfarlane
                    Football Immortal
                    • Dec 2012

Starbucks is overrated ... WAAY overrated. I like the standard Arabica coffee and McDonalds will do just fine if I have to leave home early, otherwise my home brewed coffee is perfect and not overrated.

If somebody else is buying I will stoop to Starbucks ... maybe.
                    sigpic

Comment

• samparnell
                      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                      Starbucks is overrated ... WAAY overrated. I like the standard Arabica coffee and McDonalds will do just fine if I have to leave home early, otherwise my home brewed coffee is perfect and not overrated.

If somebody else is buying I will stoop to Starbucks ... maybe.
                      If you order latte in Italy, they bring you a glass of milk.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Rastic
                        Modulated
                        • Oct 2013

Best coffee I ever had, hands down, was in Vienna... or was it Antalya... I can't remember. Time for another cup.

I actually love coffee, iced or hot, not for the stimulative effects but the flavor. I also love tea, black, green, herbal - spiced, no thank you

My preferred coffee is a medium roast though if brewed right I really like dark roast too.

Cold brewed, french press, blah, blah, blah - I've tried them all and like them but don't like waiting. Just give me a cup NOW!

Oh, I'll get on the Starbucks is overrated bandwagon too. I've been saying that for years. My wife and I have been enjoying Trader Joe's medium roast. Good stuff :thumb:

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        If you order latte in Italy, they bring you a glass of milk.
                        In that vein, has anybody had hot chocolate in places in Europe where it's a small cup of thick, viscous chocolaty sophisticated goodness? Nothing like the hot chocolate I grew up knowing. I remember ordering some, sort of for nostalgia's sake, when I was abroad and a little home sick. When they brought the hot chocolate, I remember thinking, what the heck is this? Yum! I could fancy a spot right now come to think of it.

Comment

• CanDB
                          Football Immortal
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                          Best coffee I ever had, hands down, was in Vienna... or was it Antalya... I can't remember. Time for another cup.

I actually love coffee, iced or hot, not for the stimulative effects but the flavor. I also love tea, black, green, herbal - spiced, no thank you

My preferred coffee is a medium roast though if brewed right I really like dark roast too.

Cold brewed, french press, blah, blah, blah - I've tried them all and like them but don't like waiting. Just give me a cup NOW!

Oh, I'll get on the Starbucks is overrated bandwagon too. I've been saying that for years. My wife and I have been enjoying Trader Joe's medium roast. Good stuff :thumb:

In that vein, has anybody had hot chocolate in places in Europe where it's a small cup of thick, viscous chocolaty sophisticated goodness? Nothing like the hot chocolate I grew up knowing. I remember ordering some, sort of for nostalgia's sake, when I was abroad and a little home sick. When they brought the hot chocolate, I remember thinking, what the heck is this? Yum! I could fancy a spot right now come to think of it.
                          BTW....I also think Starbucks is over rated, and sometimes downright burnt tasting/smelling. But I am good with some.

European refreshments are interesting. Fun watching Italians wham down espressos, for a quick kick!

Also, yes I did have hot chocolate in Switzerland. It was fabulous!

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

A question.....do you folks ever dunk? I did when I was pretty young, but it can get a little messy. I think a plain donut would work pretty good. Might have to try it again.

Comment

• L.M.
                              Vitalstatistix
                              • Oct 2006

I love the smell and taste of good coffee but it's too hard on my system. That's forced me to be a black tea connoisseur instead. One of my favorites there is Lapsong Suchong -Chinese smoked tea, kinda tastes like it was made in a campfire.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X