Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    This bullpen is seriously the worst I've ever seen
    Agreed. Really sad because that is the main area they focused on this offseason. You imagine how good this team might be if they had a good bullpen? It is pretty depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
    Agreed. Really sad because that is the main area they focused on this offseason. You imagine how good this team might be if they had a good bullpen? It is pretty depressing.
    I specifically calculated such imagination today.

22 combined blown saves amongst our entire bullpen. 3 of them quaify for top 10 in the major leagues in blown saves.

We are 6.5 games out of the wild card.

If you close out a small 50% of those blown saves our record goes from 64-69 to 75-58. Launching us nearly 5 games up in the wild card lead and right with the dodgers at the top of our division.

Granted I have not calculated how many 9th inning wins we have to see how many we have that maybe we shouldn't.

I also have not calculated how many of those blown saves we still won. I know we blew it in the 9th saturday to washington and still won in 11 innings.

But that's why I'm not crediting us with 22 potential wins. I'll settle for 50% and we would be a contender. Which tells me the starters are good enough, the fielders are good enough. But the pen is screwing it up for everyone.

22 combined blown saves amongst our entire bullpen. 3 of them quaify for top 10 in the major leagues in blown saves.

If you close out a small 50% of those blown saves our record goes from 64-69 to 75-58. Launching us nearly 5 games up in the wild card lead and right with the dodgers at the top of our division.

Granted I have not calculated how many 9th inning wins we have to see how many we have that maybe we shouldn't.

I also have not calculated how many of those blown saves we still won. I know we blew it in the 9th saturday to washington and still won in 11 innings.

But that's why I'm not crediting us with 22 potential wins. I'll settle for 50% and we would be a contender. Which tells me the starters are good enough, the fielders are good enough. But the pen is screwing it up for everyone.
    Couple a bad pen with a manager who poorly manages that pen and you have a good number of unnecessary losses. I was there last night and wanted to puke. Not that it will make a difference this year, but building a winning attitude is a good thing to start this year for the youngsters. Get rid of Walt and start fresh next season. At least it sounds like they're trying to extend Cargo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Couple a bad pen with a manager who poorly manages that pen and you have a good number of unnecessary losses. I was there last night and wanted to puke. Not that it will make a difference this year, but building a winning attitude is a good thing to start this year for the youngsters. Get rid of Walt and start fresh next season. At least it sounds like they're trying to extend Cargo.
    I fail to see how the bullpen lack of talent is Walt's fault? In many/most of the situations there wasn't really any other obvious/reasonable choice for him to make. I'm not a baseball guy so maybe I'm missing something here? Ottavino is probably there best relevier and he gave up a grand slam, somehow Walt could've done something to keep that from happening? Again, I am not really a baseball guy but I think the Rockies are set for next season but starting over with a new manager seems like it would set them back once again.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I fail to see how the bullpen lack of talent is Walt's fault? In many/most of the situations there wasn't really any other obvious/reasonable choice for him to make. I'm not a baseball guy so maybe I'm missing something here? Ottavino is probably there best relevier and he gave up a grand slam, somehow Walt could've done something to keep that from happening? Again, I am not really a baseball guy but I think the Rockies are set for next season but starting over with a new manager seems like it would set them back once again.
    There are plenty of examples where he left guys in too long or pulled them too early. He's put pitchers in bad matchups and been burned. He is a great guy and his knowledge is great, he just doesn't have the feel for how to manage a game and puts the team in bad positions far too often for them to contend. If he is brought back, these high 60 or low 70 win seasons will be the norm.

Oh god that makes it even worse... It is like that year where the #5 starters won like 2 games. If they went .500 we would have won the division.

Good number crunching though!

One thing I just realized that I'm not sure how to count quickly is losses where the game was tied heading to the 9th. I know last night counts as one and there are probably 5-10 more.

Can't really say those are should've been wins but they certainly had a good shot to be them.

I realize most people have been done with this team for awhile now and I mostly am too. But while still waiting on the first Broncos game to arrive tomorrow I've still followed scores. And still been greatly disappointed.

One thing I just realized that I'm not sure how to count quickly is losses where the game was tied heading to the 9th. I know last night counts as one and there are probably 5-10 more.

Can't really say those are should've been wins but they certainly had a good shot to be them.

I realize most people have been done with this team for awhile now and I mostly am too. But while still waiting on the first Broncos game to arrive tomorrow I've still followed scores. And still been greatly disappointed.
    Although I am also disappointed - not "greatly disappointed" - I think they have done better this season relative to what they usually do, maybe a low standard but still a relative positive. I'm pretty sure the Rockies have a winning record since the All-Star break; that's better than usual. If they had their starters at SS and 1st base last night they probably would not have lost in the 9th? It looks like this team is set to be a good team next season. They are compiling some good starting pitchers and have a couple of young guys that could help the bullpen - fix the bullpen and they are pretty strong everywhere else.

At least they won their last game of the season in dramatic fashion!!!!!

At least they won their last game of the season in dramatic fashion!!!!!
    Uh Pretty sure they still have some games to play.

Quote Originally Posted by BigOBroncoFan View Post
    Uh Pretty sure they still have some games to play.
    Once the Broncos start playing, the Rockies season for all intents and purposes, is over. Especially when they are constantly under .500 and playing out the string and calling up the AAA club to get experience.

Once the Broncos start playing, the Rockies season for all intents and purposes, is over. Especially when they are constantly under .500 and playing out the string and calling up the AAA club to get experience.
    Well the Broncos only play 1 day each week. And after today they don't play again until the 18th.

So no reason one can't still track games on yahoo apps as that was all I did prior to today anyway.

Hmmm, the Giants have 35 players on the active roster, the Rockies 36. They may be "playing out the string" (and playing hard while doing so as last night exemplifies) still, but don't pretty much all MLB teams - like the Giants - call up AAA players both for experience and giving the starters a breather?
    I was wondering; did the Giants get "Bochyed" last night or when they walked Nolan the other night only to give up a grand slam to Cargo? Good call there... for the Rockies.

Did Weiss get it right to pull Ottavino?

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Hmmm, the Giants have 35 players on the active roster, the Rockies 36. They may be "playing out the string" (and playing hard while doing so as last night exemplifies) still, but don't pretty much all MLB teams - like the Giants - call up AAA players both for experience and giving the starters a breather?
    I was wondering; did the Giants get "Bochyed" last night or when they walked Nolan the other night only to give up a grand slam to Cargo? Good call there... for the Rockies.

Did Weiss get it right to pull Ottavino?
    Well, let's see, the Giants are actually playing games that matter in September....again. And the Rockies? Not so much...again. And we will see with Weiss. If they keep him, they will be a losing club. IMHO. I would love to be Bochyed if that meant three world series in 6 years.

Season finally ends today. Not too happy with 75 or 76 wins after how they tanked the last two weeks.

I think Weiss gets one more year from me and then I'm ready to move on.