Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 109
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,465
    It's Elway's world and everyone else is just living in it.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    33,305
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    It's Elway's world and everyone else is just living in it.
    In the words of Led Zeppelin......

    livin', lovin'!!!!

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    33,305
    I rebooted this thread, mainly because my pal LM woke me up to something. Thx Paul!

    I have been tough on Elway since this thread, and without going into depth, it was over the QB/Oline situation,

    BUT...this is my turn to show some respect towards Big John, because thanks to him (and his group) we have now found our future QB, and we actually have hope with our Oline, especially with Risner on our side. And not to get too far ahead, but if we have a decent offseason - add an OT, WR and help on D...we may be set for the long run!!!

    YES, we have made some smart choices in the last few years, including the two I mention, along with Sutton, Lindsay, Freeman, Chubb, and several others. And I am the most excited I've been since The SB win!

    Thanks Elway. Please don't mind me thinking you should help yourself and hire a GM type, to make your life easier. You deserve it. I think you even hint at it. You're the man...just go hire the person!!

    But good on you....you have brought back the bounce in my step. And with that, I can feel the tide turning in our favour, and it feels like a long flowing tide at that!!!

    And thanks again for being a highly integral part of our 3 SB championships!!!

    Last edited by CanDB; 12-09-2019 at 07:55 PM.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hilton Head, SC
    Posts
    468
    I will always support Elway. Tireless worker with a certain standard of excellence and competitiveness that you simply can’t “bottle”. Does he make mistakes (sometimes spectacular)? Yes. Of course. Yet, is he one of only 5 or 6 GMs (out of 32 at any given time) that have won the whole thing since he came onboard? Undeniably- and that was him getting Peyton over the finish line- not vice versa.

    He had a tough patch post-SB 50- but things look like they are starting to fall his way again (Lock, Sutton, Lindsay, Fant, Simmons, Chubb, etc.). Couldn’t be happier for a guy that bleeds orange and blue...

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I rebooted this thread, mainly because my pal LM woke me up to something. Thx Paul!

    I have been tough on Elway since this thread, and without going into depth, it was over the QB/Oline situation,

    BUT...this is my turn to show some respect towards Big John, because thanks to him (and his group) we have now found our future QB, and we actually have hope with our Oline, especially with Risner on our side. And not to get too far ahead, but if we have a decent offseason - add an OT, WR and help on D...we may be set for the long run!!!

    YES, we have made some smart choices in the last few years, including the two I mention, along with Sutton, Lindsay, Freeman, Chubb, and several others. And I am the most excited I've been since The SB win!

    Thanks Elway. Please don't mind me thinking you should help yourself and hire a GM type, to make your life easier. You deserve it. I think you even hint at it. You're the man...just go hire the person!!

    But good on you....you have brought back the bounce in my step. And with that, I can feel the tide turning in our favour, and it feels like a long flowing tide at that!!!

    And thanks again for being a highly integral part of our 3 SB championships!!!

    Nice bump - thanks, Can and LM! Elway's made mistakes for sure (like all GM's)...but he's also done great things.

    Really great things.

    Hopefully, we can return to normal...which is being a really damn good football team.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hilton Head, SC
    Posts
    468
    One thing to love about Elway (IMHO) is that if he feels he’s close- he’ll spare nothing to get Denver a championship. Just like Mr. Bowlen...

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,158
    It's funny how fickle people in general can be. We were all ready with knives and pitchforks to hunt Elway down. Now, all of a sudden..."the lines not so bad"...."Fant is a stud".... "Lock is the real deal"....."Denver's future is bright"....

    I admit I fell into the hate trap and was ready to send him packing but now that I've put back on my Orange colored glasses I see clearly again LOL. I think we are just a few pieces away from being a playoff contender. We need another corner, a new LT and a legit 2nd WR opposite Sutton and we are there, imo.

    ILB isn't as big of an issue anymore with the emergence of AJ. If Lock can continue his level of play other free agents could drink some the orange Kool-Aid and want to jump on board too. I'm excited to see next offseason produce some serious talent via draft and free agency. With Chubb back and healthy I think we are going to be a really good team!! GO BRONCOS!!
    Last edited by JvDub95; 12-10-2019 at 12:43 PM.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,971
    Jury is still out. Let's see how he does in free agency and the draft before we forgive him for the 2015-17 draft classes and the VJ hiring fiasco.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,158
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Jury is still out. Let's see how he does in free agency and the draft before we forgive him for the 2015-17 draft classes and the VJ hiring fiasco.
    Forgiveness is part of life, and a requirement for better days.

    Do you know how many drafts the Patriots, Packers, Falcons, 49rs (pre Lynch), Seahawks, Chargers, etc....screwed up? The difference is they all have a QB in place to hide the imperfections. If Lock is indeed the real deal the drafts ahead of us get easier and the talent of the team gets better.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    33,305
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Jury is still out. Let's see how he does in free agency and the draft before we forgive him for the 2015-17 draft classes and the VJ hiring fiasco.
    But aren't we talking subjectively? In other words, that's your opinion, and not necessarily relevant to what others may think. I for one realized that I had been a little tough on Elway, even though I think he had a bit of a poor run there, but that I owe him some kudos for the players he has drafted, that are now becoming cornerstones to our future. So the jury is your jury, not mine. I have not been this pumped about The Broncs since our SB win. I see almost nothing but upside now, because I believe in these young guns, and even better, they will grow together, and play for one another...and a few more players, for me, could make us a playoff team...next year. Heck we're closing the gap with a rookie at QB.

    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    Forgiveness is part of life, and a requirement for better days.

    Do you know how many drafts the Patriots, Packers, Falcons, 49rs (pre Lynch), Seahawks, Chargers, etc....screwed up? The difference is they all have a QB in place to hide the imperfections. If Lock is indeed the real deal the drafts ahead of us get easier and the talent of the team gets better.
    Yes.....I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that reflected how poorly The Pats did over a period of time. I think it's safe to say that Newsome and his staff had many good drafts in Baltimore, but a number of teams have been marginal...some poor!

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,720
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I rebooted this thread, mainly because my pal LM woke me up to something. Thx Paul!

    I have been tough on Elway since this thread, and without going into depth, it was over the QB/Oline situation,

    BUT...this is my turn to show some respect towards Big John, because thanks to him (and his group) we have now found our future QB, and we actually have hope with our Oline, especially with Risner on our side. And not to get too far ahead, but if we have a decent offseason - add an OT, WR and help on D...we may be set for the long run!!!

    YES, we have made some smart choices in the last few years, including the two I mention, along with Sutton, Lindsay, Freeman, Chubb, and several others. And I am the most excited I've been since The SB win!

    Thanks Elway. Please don't mind me thinking you should help yourself and hire a GM type, to make your life easier. You deserve it. I think you even hint at it. You're the man...just go hire the person!!

    But good on you....you have brought back the bounce in my step. And with that, I can feel the tide turning in our favour, and it feels like a long flowing tide at that!!!

    And thanks again for being a highly integral part of our 3 SB championships!!!

    If we continue to hit on some of our player selections and get back to the playoffs then IMO there's no need to alter anything. The F.O. will have proved that they learned from mistakes and assembled a roster that can compete. From the bigger picture of League history, teams go up and down and this will have just been an inevitable down phase within such patterns --which have been virtually nonexistent for Denver in the last fifty years, and one reason most fans have taken it so hard. Only the NE Cheetahs seem to sustain perpetual success though I suspect (and hope) that even their time is nearly up!
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,720
    Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    It's funny how fickle people in general can be. We were all ready with knives and pitchforks to hunt Elway down. Now, all of a sudden..."the lines not so bad"...."Fant is a stud".... "Lock is the real deal"....."Denver's future is bright"....

    I admit I fell into the hate trap and was ready to send him packing but now that I've put back on my Orange colored glasses I see clearly again LOL. I think we are just a few pieces away from being a playoff contender. We need another corner, a new LT and a legit 2nd WR opposite Sutton and we are there, imo.

    ILB isn't as big of an issue anymore with the emergence of AJ. If Lock can continue his level of play other free agents could drink some the orange Kool-Aid and want to jump on board too. I'm excited to see next offseason produce some serious talent via draft and free agency. With Chubb back and healthy I think we are going to be a really good team!! GO BRONCOS!!


    If we lose another game (or get blown out again) some torches and pitchforks will come back out, that's a certainty. But the fanbase isn't united on this or any other topic. Even in 2015 there were people complaining the whole way to the SB.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,720
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Jury is still out. Let's see how he does in free agency and the draft before we forgive him for the 2015-17 draft classes and the VJ hiring fiasco.
    Tis the season to be jolly -and of forgiveness, right?
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,356
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    But aren't we talking subjectively? In other words, that's your opinion, and not necessarily relevant to what others may think. I for one realized that I had been a little tough on Elway, even though I think he had a bit of a poor run there, but that I owe him some kudos for the players he has drafted, that are now becoming cornerstones to our future. So the jury is your jury, not mine. I have not been this pumped about The Broncs since our SB win. I see almost nothing but upside now, because I believe in these young guns, and even better, they will grow together, and play for one another...and a few more players, for me, could make us a playoff team...next year. Heck we're closing the gap with a rookie at QB.



    Yes.....I remember reading an article a couple of years ago that reflected how poorly The Pats did over a period of time. I think it's safe to say that Newsome and his staff had many good drafts in Baltimore, but a number of teams have been marginal...some poor!
    I have posted this before but here it is again...
    ELWAY'S ABILITY TO DRAFT DECENT PLAYERS…
    According to Mike Klis of 9 news in November 2017 ... "Numbers say Elway's draft production among NFL's best - In his seven drafts, Elway’s 54 picks entering play Sunday have combined to average 32.2 games played, which ranks No. 4 in the NFL."
    At that time the average draft position the Broncos had was 18.1 pick, which was 22nd best in the NFL. Only three teams who have averaged more games played per draft pick – the Buffalo Bills (34.9 games), Miami Dolphins (33.6) and Arizona Cardinals (33.6) – all picked higher, on average, than the Broncos did in each round.
    Elway missed with Montee Ball and Ty Sambrailo (although Ty is still playing) in the second round but the truth is, every team misses. Bill Belichick’s 56 draft picks for the New England Patriots since 2011 have averaged 29.6 games played – 2.6 less than the Broncos -- which ranks 17th.
    Now maybe games started is a truer barometer of a player’s quality? Even there, Elway has fared well...
    Elway’s draft picks since 2011 have averaged 16.1 starts – 10th-best in the league.
    There are different ways to grade a GM's ability to find talent in the draft and I'm sure somebody probably can find a method that makes Elway look bad. Bottom line though, Elway is probably better than most in GMs.
    Yes, this is 2 years ago but even then many fans were blaming Elway for the 3-7 start to that season.

    Since then there has been 2 more drafts - 2018 and 2019 - both have been decent drafts, I think that most on BCMB agree with that? Still have to wait and see how those drafts actually turnout but overall Elway has done a far better than average job drafting good players.
    There are different methods to grading drafts so this is just one way to analyze the Bronco's performance, I am sure there are other ways that may not look so good. There is another article that ranked Elway at 14th as a GM and Belichick at 17th.

    Ozzy Newsome did have 2 SB wins in his 23 years as GM and overall a good GM. But in his first 4 seasons as GM they had a losing record 4-12, 6-9-1, 6-10, 8-8 and then won the SB in 2000 season. Made the playoffs 10 seasons in his 23 years with 2 SB wins… 7 losing seasons and 3, 8-8 seasons during his time as GM.
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 12-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,388
    I've been pretty critical of this FO. Still, things are finally trending up. This will be a pivotal offseason, for sure.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •