Chargers' stadium hopes take punch to gut

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...rt-two-thirds/

The Chargers stadium initiative wasnt dashed against the rocks on Wednesday, but it was punched in the gut and is gasping for air.

The California State Supreme Court decided to temporarily block a lower court ruling that said tax increases like the Chargers downtown stadium initiative require approval from a simple majority instead of two-thirds of voters. The court said it will review the ruling at a time to be determined

no way in heck does the November vote to get a downtime stadium built pass with a 2/3 vote, it just won't. that might be the final nail in the coffin unless they try one more time with a plan that doesn't require a 2/3 vote.

unless of course they are undefeated and just thrashing teams when that November vote takes place (highly unlikely).

but even then i doubt it would pass. just move to LA already, SD don't want you and i'm sick and tired of all the uncertainty.

I'm all in....Chargers fan FOR LIFE!.......worse than getting the electric chair!

Sorry Baph, really, that stinks for you and the other Charger fans.

ADOPT A BRONCO=GARETT BOLLES

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Sorry Baph, really, that stinks for you and the other Charger fans.
    thanks, yeah it really sucks for the fans that live in SD who actually support the team and go to the games every year.

I'm all in....Chargers fan FOR LIFE!.......worse than getting the electric chair!

I wish the Chargers could stay in San Diego. It's a great city.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Chargers belong in SD. Wish this would get done.
    You should leave a Bronco game at Mile High with little to no voice...

amazing that this is happening in so cal. The tax money is there. I mean employees will be making $17hr when the stadium is remolded at the rate californias sinking
    Last edited by rst08tierney; 07-19-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Its been in the news for a while now, but they're talking about increasing the area hotel tax by an 5% points of the hotel room's cost to pay for the Stadium. Im probably going to vote yes on the prop this coming election. The tax doesn't effect me as a resident of these parts, and its not like the politicians proposed to increase the tax before to use it for anything else "useful".
    2014/2015 Adopt-A-Bronco : TJ Ward - GO DUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...rt-two-thirds/

no way in heck does the November vote to get a downtime stadium built pass with a 2/3 vote, it just won't. that might be the final nail in the coffin unless they try one more time with a plan that doesn't require a 2/3 vote.

unless of course they are undefeated and just thrashing teams when that November vote takes place (highly unlikely).

but even then i doubt it would pass. just move to LA already, SD don't want you and i'm sick and tired of all the uncertainty.
    It just AINT right whatsoever! I for one will be PISSED when Denver has to go to a embarrassing half filled with Bronco fans soccer stadium, IN LA of all places! The Rams may belong there, NO ONE CARES about the Rams, cept St. Louis when they lost the Cards. BUT!! They belong IN SAN DIEGO, the Raiders in Oakland, and the Seahawks BACK IN THE DAMN AFC WEST Man! End of RANT! No its not! Oakland get yer heads out yer Ass and pass a TAX, keep your football team, San Diego the same. NFL get Seattle back where they belong. AND QUIT TRYING to force LA to accept Football when ALL they care about is Dodger baseball, and especially Laker Basketball! OK now end of rant.
    oh YEAH?

Quote Originally Posted by Axemaster View Post
    It just AINT right whatsoever! I for one will be PISSED when Denver has to go to a embarrassing half filled with Bronco fans soccer stadium, IN LA of all places! The Rams may belong there, NO ONE CARES about the Rams, cept St. Louis when they lost the Cards. BUT!! They belong IN SAN DIEGO, the Raiders in Oakland, and the Seahawks BACK IN THE DAMN AFC WEST Man! End of RANT! No its not! Oakland get yer heads out yer Ass and pass a TAX, keep your football team, San Diego the same. NFL get Seattle back where they belong. AND QUIT TRYING to force LA to accept Football when ALL they care about is Dodger baseball, and especially Laker Basketball! OK now end of rant.
    yeah, for all the embarrassment i have had to endure in my 35 or so years as a chargers fan, none of it compares to this. i can only carry on because i don't live there anymore but if i was a season ticket holder? going to games outnumbered by rival fans? i just don't know if could do it.

those die hard chargers fans who are season ticket holders who continue to go to the games, those dudes have my utmost respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Axemaster View Post
    I agree except for that. I don't miss the Seabags (nor the 3 division conference system that had more teams in each division unevenly) and they aren't even an original, traditional AFC West team, but a '76 NFC expansion team.

As for the Chargers, Spanos needs to sell the team (which he seems to hate) to a billionaire Chargers fan who will pay 75% of the stadium cost in San Diego and who will do things to win community support there like charities, etc.
    Last edited by LynchMobster; 10-09-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

I am sure this is disappointing to all Chargers fans, but I think it is hard to blame taxpayers for not supporting tax-funded stadiums-- particularly in the current climate.

Adopted Mod: Best Mod Ever: EddieMac
    Adopted New Person: Peapod
    Adopted Video: WatercoolerJam https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozu5KdXhL0

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    I am sure this is disappointing to all Chargers fans, but I think it is hard to blame taxpayers for not supporting tax-funded stadiums-- particularly in the current climate.
    https://www.tpuncensored.com/proof-t...to-the-voters/

the people of san diego have been fooled into thinking it is all the chargers fault. that city's local government is corrupt, nothing else you can really say about that.

also, if that's the case and the tax payers don't want to pay for an nfl stadium, then they should shut up and accept the fact that they didn't want to pay to keep their team instead of crying about it and blaming only the team for moving.

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    I agree except for that. I don't miss the Seabags (nor the 3 division conference system that had more teams in each division unevenly) and they aren't even an original, traditional AFC West team, but a '76 NFC expansion team.

As for the Chargers, Spanos needs to sell the team (which he seems to hate) to a billionaire Chargers fan who will pay 75% of the stadium cost in San Diego and who will do things to win community support there like charities, etc.
    good luck with that lol

nobody is going to spend more to make less money, just to be the hero in san diego. that's the reality of the situation. however if things keep on being this bad and the TV revenue continues to be so bad that its making them less money than they make in san diego, then i could possibly see them move again, probably still not back to san diego though.

there are cities that would help pay to bring an NFL stadium there, SD obviously isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    good luck with that lol

nobody is going to spend more to make less money, just to be the hero in san diego. that's the reality of the situation. however if things keep on being this bad and the TV revenue continues to be so bad that its making them less money than they make in san diego, then i could possibly see them move again, probably still not back to san diego though.
    I was thinking someone in the order of Stan Kroenke who is paying 95% of the bill for the $2B Inglewood project, but it would probably have to be a complex with an upside of extra profit potential like that one.

there are cities that would help pay to bring an NFL stadium there, SD obviously isn't one of them.
    Neither is Oakland and a host of others. Modern stadia have become so friggin' expensive now in the $1B pricetag range that they pose an unreasonable tax burden on most cities. The NFL needs to share the cost much more than it is if such elaborate complexes are the standard and the expectation. A city shouldn't have to do much more than just infrastructure costs on sidewalks, parking lot, sewer, etc. in the $100M range IMO. That was what Oakland offered, and that would probably pass in SD unlike the $300+M deal.

Anyway, back to reality, it ain't happening. Maybe St. Louis? IIRC, they were willing to pay 1/2 or more for a new stadium in order to keep the Rams. But then you'd have a 4:1 ratio of Chiefs fans in the stands!
    Superbowl 50 MVP defeats 2015 League MVP, Feb. 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by LynchMobster View Post
    I was thinking someone in the order of Stan Kroenke who is paying 95% of the bill for the $2B Inglewood project, but it would probably have to be a complex with an upside of extra profit potential like that one.
    yeah, stan did it to move to the second largest media market in the country, big difference between LA and SD. there is a lot less money to be made in SD vs LA regardless of fan support at the stadiums.

Neither is Oakland and a host of others. Modern stadia have become so friggin' expensive now in the $1B pricetag range that they pose an unreasonable tax burden on most cities. The NFL needs to share the cost much more than it is if such elaborate complexes are the standard and the expectation. A city shouldn't have to do much more than just infrastructure costs on sidewalks, parking lot, sewer, etc. in the $100M range IMO. That was what Oakland offered, and that would probably pass in SD unlike the $300+M deal.

Anyway, back to reality, it ain't happening. Maybe St. Louis? IIRC, they were willing to pay 1/2 or more for a new stadium in order to keep the Rams. But then you'd have a 4:1 ratio of Chiefs fans in the stands!
    my dream? warren buffet buys the chargers and builds a stadium here in omaha!

the games would all sell out and there would be great fan support here, that's for sure.