Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hph5 View Post
    Here's one of my fondest memories of the Broncos in the yellow and brown unis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hOw3F3dlyE
    Love those unis!

Quote Originally Posted by 80stheman View Post
    My dad used to get tickets to a couple of games a year from a friend of his and from my aunt and uncle, who had South Stand seats. I remember being in the SS during a Raider game. Dad and I went to Floyd Little's final game at MHS in '75. Great memories.
    People who weren't Bronco fans during the Floyd Little era don't get it. They throw out stats which doesn't do anything to understand what he meant. Denver might have lost the Broncos if it hadn't been for him. He ran the ball, caught the ball, returned Punts and Kicks. He was always banged up and either questionable or doubtful every week, but he showed up and played. John Elway calls him "the greatest Bronco".

My Dad was bowlegged and so was Floyd. My Dad thought that was the secret of Floyd's success. My Dad loved Floyd Little which is probably why we went to that exhibition game in 1967 when Floyd was a rookie. Bronco fans didn't have a winning season until 1973. Mile High was sold out in 1970. Most went to see Floyd play football. Denver also had a pretty mean D-Line in those days plus Billy Thompson.

Art Modell didn't want the Broncos included in the merger. He said he couldn't see the Denver Broncos playing in Cleveland's Stadium against the Browns. Lamar Hunt and Al Davis said it was the whole AFL, or nothing. So, when Denver played at Cleveland in 1971, they beat the Browns 27-0. Floyd rushed for 113, Bobby Anderson had 71 and Fran Lynch had 53 for a total of 280 yards on 57 attempts with Bobby scoring a TD. Don Horn threw a TD to Billy Masters, Fred Forsberg returned a pick for a TD and Jim Turner kicked two FGs. Denver's D shut the Browns out holding them to 105 yards of total offense.

When Floyd was walking off the field after the game with Rich Jackson, a reporter asked him for his thoughts about the win. Floyd just smiled and said, "We'd like to thank Mr. Modell for letting us play in his stadium." That's class with a wry sense of humor.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    People who weren't Bronco fans during the Floyd Little era don't get it. They throw out stats which doesn't do anything to understand what he meant. Denver might have lost the Broncos if it hadn't been for him. He ran the ball, caught the ball, returned Punts and Kicks. He was always banged up and either questionable or doubtful every week, but he showed up and played. John Elway calls him "the greatest Bronco".

My Dad was bowlegged and so was Floyd. My Dad thought that was the secret of Floyd's success. My Dad loved Floyd Little which is probably why we went to that exhibition game in 1967 when Floyd was a rookie. Bronco fans didn't have a winning season until 1973. Mile High was sold out in 1970. Most went to see Floyd play football. Denver also had a pretty mean D-Line in those days plus Billy Thompson.

Art Modell didn't want the Broncos included in the merger. He said he couldn't see the Denver Broncos playing in Cleveland's Stadium against the Browns. Lamar Hunt and Al Davis said it was the whole AFL, or nothing. So, when Denver played at Cleveland in 1971, they beat the Browns 27-0. Floyd rushed for 113, Bobby Anderson had 71 and Fran Lynch had 53 for a total of 280 yards on 57 attempts with Bobby scoring a TD. Don Horn threw a TD to Billy Masters, Fred Forsberg returned a pick for a TD and Jim Turner kicked two FGs. Denver's D shut the Browns out holding them to 105 yards of total offense.

When Floyd was walking off the field after the game with Rich Jackson, a reporter asked him for his thoughts about the win. Floyd just smiled and said, "We'd like to thank Mr. Modell for letting us play in his stadium." That's class with a wry sense of humor.
    There's a reason Floyd was referred to as "The Franchise". The guy was simply amazing, and you're right, people who never saw him play just don't get it. And a lot of younger people don't get that the Broncos had a very solid defense in the early '70s, as you mentioned. Rich Jackson, Pete Duranko, Dave Costa, Paul Smith- those guys were beasts up front.

Found some great picks of the Broncos D line of the late '60s/early '70s. The first two are from the '68 season.

Pete Duranko causing a fumble by a Dolphin while Dave Costa is going for his legs:

Duranko hitting Daryle Lamonica as he releases a pass. Jerry Inman is #62. Jim Otto of the Raiders is #00:

Duranko strip sacking Roger Staubach while Paul Smith goes after the ball:

Quote Originally Posted by 80stheman View Post
    Found some great picks of the Broncos D line of the late '60s/early '70s. The first two are from the '68 season.

Pete Duranko causing a fumble by a Dolphin while Dave Costa is going for his legs:

Duranko hitting Daryle Lamonica as he releases a pass. Jerry Inman is #62. Jim Otto of the Raiders is #00:

Duranko strip sacking Roger Staubach while Paul Smith goes after the ball:

Don't forget the photo of Dave Costa knocking Joe Namath in the air that was on the centerfold of LIFE magazine.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Don't forget the photo of Dave Costa knocking Joe Namath in the air that was on the centerfold of LIFE magazine.
    Yeah, I posted that one earlier in this thread (post #18). Found another one of Costa sacking Namath. Not sure if this was the same play, but it's a great color image.

BTW, Dave Costa used to belong to the same parish that my family did. I remember going to mass and my dad pointing him out to me. That was my first experience seeing a Bronco player up close.

Two years ago today!

It is sick to look back and see a collection like this. As horrible as Elway could be at times, it is sick to see video of a High School freshman throwing 80 yards flat footed. His passing even then was better than 90% of NFL QB's

Oldies

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoFanDK View Post
    It is sick to look back and see a collection like this. As horrible as Elway could be at times, it is sick to see video of a High School freshman throwing 80 yards flat footed. His passing even then was better than 90% of NFL QB's

I was at a game in the 70's against Cleveland. Cleveland was inside the ten yard line driving for a TD. A hand off to ,I think, Byner and I could hear,even over the noise of the crowd, a kaaawack!!!. Dennis Smith nailed him soooo hard Byner fumbled, Denver recovered and a new best Bronco hero was born that evening for me. That guy never ceased to amaze.
    Then a Monday night game against KC, when Atwater was wired for sound. Another loud kawaack when Steve met Okoye, knocked that 260lb man, running full speed, backward and then said to him something like "That was fun, let's do it again". Priceless!!

Quote Originally Posted by HALFALOAFLOU View Post
    I was at a game in the 70's against Cleveland. Cleveland was inside the ten yard line driving for a TD. A hand off to ,I think, Byner and I could hear,even over the noise of the crowd, a kaaawack!!!. Dennis Smith nailed him soooo hard Byner fumbled, Denver recovered and a new best Bronco hero was born that evening for me. That guy never ceased to amaze.
    Then a Monday night game against KC, when Atwater was wired for sound. Another loud kawaack when Steve met Okoye, knocked that 260lb man, running full speed, backward and then said to him something like "That was fun, let's do it again". Priceless!!
    Thank goodness for Jeremiah Castille
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Hands down the most memorable character from "Back in the day" see sig!
    [

As we get ready to play the Steelers today, it's a great time to remember the Broncos first playoff game, a 34-21 victory over Pittsburgh on Dec 24, 1977.

https://www.denverbroncos.com/news/w...st-playoff-win

Way Back When: Tom Jackson recalls the Broncos' first playoff win
    Jim Saccomano
    Through the Years: Broncos vs. Steelers
    Take a trip back through Broncos history with photos from some of the Broncos' best games against the Steelers.

Tom Jackson, the heart and soul of the Denver Broncos for 14 years, was the emotional linchpin of the franchise as it climbed out of the abyss of mediocrity to become a premier NFL team.

Many fans today know him more for his lengthy career with ESPN, but many fewer are aware that he only had two employers after leaving the University of Louisville: the Broncos and the fabled television network.

Always approachable by media and fans, Jackson (more often referred to as "T.J.") stands at the top of the short list of most popular, most talkative and most philosophical Broncos players.

He was also one of the franchise’s most successful players, too, helping lead the Broncos to many memorable moments.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been one of the league’s most legendary franchises, and back in 1977, when they came to Mile High Stadium for their divisional playoff game against the upstart Denver Broncos, they were in the midst of a six-year span in which they won four world titles.

It was the first playoff game in Broncos history, and few who were there on Christmas Eve, 1977, could have imagined that Denver would go to the Super Bowl eight times and claim three world championships over the next 40 years.

Let's let T.J. tell it as he remembers the day.

"The Steelers were the first playoff opponent in Denver history,” Jackson says. “We were in Mile High and I was very confident we would play well. It was a very physical game and the ebb and flow of it just sticks out in my mind."

Jackson ranged sideline to sideline for seven tackles against the Steelers, the most among the Broncos' front seven that day, and two of the biggest plays of the game were interceptions by Jackson.

In addition to a fumble recovery, three of Pittsburgh's drives ended with the ball in his hands.

The score was tied 7-7 in the second period when Jackson recovered a fumble and returned it 30 yards to the Pittsburgh 10-yard line, setting a go-ahead touchdown run by Otis Armstrong for the Broncos. They went into the half tied at 14-14, but the Broncos never trailed in the game, and they led all the way in momentum, with their young linebacker exhorting the crowd.

Saving his most dramatic moments for the fourth quarter, Jackson stole two passes from Terry Bradshaw in the final period.

"It just felt to me — and I have always been proud of this — that game was the biggest game, at that time, that we had ever played, and I played my best in it,” Jackson says. “The interception that was really the most difficult one was right on the line of scrimmage, the first one.

"I backed up into the end zone, but I was kind of reading one of the running backs that wasn't coming out. Terry gunned the ball, and I assumed it was a square end of a curl that was right behind me. To this day I couldn't tell you because I never turned around, but I just jumped up and happened to hit the ball. It was straight up in the air and it came right down to me. I got a pretty good return and put our offense in position where they had a short field."

Jackson’s 32-yard return set up Jim Turner's second field goal in a 13-point fourth quarter for the Broncos.

"The other interception, the second one, was a little out route late in the game where Terry throws to the flat. I got that one, then we walked off with a win and I think our history really started to be written."

That second interception came with the Broncos holding onto a 27-21 lead and Pittsburgh believing it could win. Jackson returned it 17 yards to the Steelers 33, and two plays later Craig Morton hit wide receiver Jack Dolbin on a 34-yard score to cement the win with 1:57 left to play.

Jackson's three takeaways had led to 17 of the Broncos' 34 points in the first-ever playoff win for the Broncos before 75,011 orange-clad fans who were watching the start of an NFL dynasty in Denver.

"I think that for a long time people looked at the Denver Broncos and didn't really look at all,” Jackson says. “It was like we were just stuck out in the mountains, and for many years we just had not won. That game got us off to a good start in the playoffs and helped change our national perspective.

"I don't think I ever played a better game in a bigger game.”

As big as his play was against the Steelers, his emotional leadership of the team and unrivaled bond with Denver fans was just as huge a factor in the making of what the Broncos were becoming.

"Different people have different personalities,” he says. “I kind of wore my emotions all of the time on my sleeve."

The crowd was one with Jackson for his entire career, and the cheers for him as he left the field after beating the Steelers were deafening. He waved to the Broncos' sellout audience, and it seemed as if he was waving individually to every fan in attendance.

"It never felt any better than that day against Pittsburgh,” Jackson says. “Winning for the first time is so special. I felt like I was perfectly suited to that group of guys, and I can really say this: That team that won that first playoff game gave Denver that first thrill.

"There is no doubt in my mind that there was something present other than just a bunch of football players playing a game. We were willing to sacrifice for each other and make it happen, and it was one of our proudest moments."

A lot of football blood, sweat and tears have been spilled in the 40-plus years since Dec. 24, 1977, to the present day, and there is no question that the run of postseason success for the Broncos was built from the foundation that began with that victory over the Steelers.

In honor of our 60th Season, and to Al Carmichael, who passed away yesterday at the age of 90...

59 years ago tonight, the Broncos played their first regular season game, and the first regular season game in the new American Football League, at Nickerson Field in Boston against the Boston Patriots. Denver won 13-10 on a 59 yd TD pass from Frank Tripucka to Al Carmichael, and a 76 yd punt return for a TD by Gene Mingo.

Highlights from that inaugural game: