View Poll Results: how bad will the chargers be in 2016?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • win 5 games or less

    15 34.88%
  • win 6 to 8 games

    21 48.84%
  • win 9 or 10 games with a possible WC birth

    6 13.95%
  • worst to first!!! division champs!!

    1 2.33%
Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 631
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,225

    how bad will the chargers be this season?

    i got to thinking, since certain fans like Butler By'Note think the chargers will win 5 games at best this coming season....how bad do you donkey homers think the chargers will be?

    let your voice be heard!!! oh and if you have the stones, actually have a reason why you think that so we can have an actual discussion for once.

    thanks guys!
    Last edited by baphamet; 08-01-2016 at 09:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,133
    4th best roster in the division, 4th best defense, 3rd best QB situation with that deteriorating and does not have the defense to make up for it. 4th best coaching staff. Then you add in the weight of the constant questions and stories between now and November about whether a new stadium will be built or whether they'll be relocating. This has worst team in the NFL this year written all over it.

    I think the only reason they kept the coaching staff is because they didn't want to give a new staff such a poor situation to step into.

    And not once did I say 5 wins at best, I said I believe they're a 4 or 5 win team, if everything goes their way they might be able to get to 6 or 7 wins, and I don't believe they'll be worse than 4 wins, they have enough talent to get those 4 wins.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,781
    I did say in another thread that Mr. Verrett should worry about winning 5 games before he worries about winning the division. Ill stick with 5 games....baby steps before you take big steps!
    http://i67.tinypic.com/so4fua.jpg2020 HOFER!!!!
    Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
    PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,238
    I voted... .500ish team... only because this is smack...

    These reasons:

    WR Stevie Johnson (meniscus) will get a 2nd opinion, then have surgery. The extent -- weeks or months -- will be known in surgery. That's the speedy WR2 gone.

    The first-round pick from the University of Wisconsin ran for only 641 yards and amassed only 833 yards from scrimmage. More damning was the fact that Gordon failed to score a touchdown while putting the ball on the ground six times, losing four of those fumbles. - That needs to improve....badly.

    Re: Bosa - A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the two sides last communicated on Thursday, two days before the Chargers reported to camp. the next first round pick.

    on defense: The players on defense are so small that they can't tackle NFL players

    On offense: the 9remaining) players on offense are so slow that they can't outrun NFL players

    There is my foray into a smack discussion... to Chargers...
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    4th best roster in the division, 4th best defense, 3rd best QB situation with that deteriorating and does not have the defense to make up for it. 4th best coaching staff. Then you add in the weight of the constant questions and stories between now and November about whether a new stadium will be built or whether they'll be relocating. This has worst team in the NFL this year written all over it.

    I think the only reason they kept the coaching staff is because they didn't want to give a new staff such a poor situation to step into.

    And not once did I say 5 wins at best, I said I believe they're a 4 or 5 win team, if everything goes their way they might be able to get to 6 or 7 wins, and I don't believe they'll be worse than 4 wins, they have enough talent to get those 4 wins.
    well you said they will win 4 maybe 5 games that is why i said 5 wins at best.

    i appreciate and respect you stepping up to the plate, that is smack aside of course, but let me address your points with my own humble opinion.

    i take it you are basing this solely off last season, correct? because if we are talking about the roster as a whole i think the broncos have the 4th best in the division at this point.

    they have good talent on defense but what about offense? they have good receivers on offense but not a legit starting QB to get them the ball. i think the broncos are the only one dimensional team in the division, meaning they have a good defense but not a good offense.

    but back to the chargers, they have the best QB in the division yet you say they have the third best QB situation? rivers has never missed a start in 11 years, they have the best QB situation until that changes.

    their defensive line has been upgraded, even if you think bosa isn't a great fit he is damn sure better than kendall reyas who is one of if not the worst starters the chargers have had on their team over the past few years.

    they finally got a legit NT in brandon mebane and on the other side they still have their only good defensive lineman corey liuget. their linebackers all improved last season especially once denzel perryman took over starting.

    the only spot on the defense i can say didn't improve or took a step back is at safety, which should offset if the front 7 plays better with the upgrades they have made. the defense still has to go out and prove they can actually stop the run but there is little doubt in my mind they will be improved.

    offensively my expectation is for them to have a top 10 offense and there is very little reason to believe that they can't. even last year with no running game, no legit starting center, and injuries up and down the OL they had a good offense until allen went down.

    now allen is back, they brought in travis benjamin to help their offense and ST's (kick return average was one of the worst in the league as well), they drafted hunter henry, and most importantly they brought back ken whisenhunt to take over play calling.

    people harp on melvin gordon and how he was terrible but if you know what kind of offense he was in at Wisconsin this next stat should open your eyes a little bit.

    the chargers last year ran the ball almost 80% of the time out of the shotgun formation. whiz already said that is going to change and they not only drafted gordon's fullback from college, they brought in an UFA FB that is a thumper and could make the team as well.

    i think the chargers should end up with a top 10 offense and top 15 defense.

    all of that combined makes for a turn around season IMO

    although the division is tough so it's hard for me to say they have a legit chance of taking the division but i do see them at least competing for it, it really is a wide open division this season IMO

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I voted... .500ish team... only because this is smack...

    These reasons:

    WR Stevie Johnson (meniscus) will get a 2nd opinion, then have surgery. The extent -- weeks or months -- will be known in surgery. That's the speedy WR2 gone.

    The first-round pick from the University of Wisconsin ran for only 641 yards and amassed only 833 yards from scrimmage. More damning was the fact that Gordon failed to score a touchdown while putting the ball on the ground six times, losing four of those fumbles. - That needs to improve....badly.

    Re: Bosa - A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the two sides last communicated on Thursday, two days before the Chargers reported to camp. the next first round pick.

    on defense: The players on defense are so small that they can't tackle NFL players

    On offense: the 9remaining) players on offense are so slow that they can't outrun NFL players

    There is my foray into a smack discussion... to Chargers...
    nice EM!!

    yeah, that sucks about SJ but he is projected to be our slot guy, travis benjamin is projected to be our WR2 like malcom floyd was. luckily the chargers are actually kind of deep at WR but that can change in a hurry if another guy goes down.

    another thing is, the chargers might be using less spread formations this season and more power running type formations as well as 2 TE sets.

    people used to always say that about gates and green but rivers clearly didn't trust green fully because he dropped a lot of passes. hunter henry seems like a more sure handed option (he didn't drop one pass last season in college) and i think a lot of people might be surprised to see him put up good numbers this season if he can stay healthy.

    i said in my previous post how the chargers are partly to blame for gordons bad rookie season, they didn't utilize him correctly and mainly ran him out of the shotgun.

    that will change this season from what i have heard with the addition of ken whisenhunt.

    regarding the speed and size of the players....i am stumped, you got me there!
    Last edited by baphamet; 08-01-2016 at 12:34 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,804
    San Diego Chargers, your 2016 Puppy Bowl Champions!

    Last edited by Rastic; 08-01-2016 at 12:34 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    San Diego Chargers, your 2016 Puppy Bowl Champions!



    maybe after the SD residents kick he chargers to the curb they can build a stadium for puppy bowl at the MV site?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,721
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    maybe after the SD residents kick he chargers to the curb they can build a stadium for puppy bowl at the MV site?
    Nobody will attend that either, the only time you guys come close to selling out is when the Champs play on your broken down stadium.
    Yep, no hope for the sparklers , sadly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    3,001
    Every year is a crapshoot to me in the NFL, but typically teams trend one way or the other. Based entirely off their finish last year and the minimal amount of core changes I said 6-8 wins which is basically right about where I thought they would be last year. They were certainly a better team than their record so i see them trending closer to .500 rather than further away.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,133
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    well you said they will win 4 maybe 5 games that is why i said 5 wins at best.

    i appreciate and respect you stepping up to the plate, that is smack aside of course, but let me address your points with my own humble opinion.

    i take it you are basing this solely off last season, correct? because if we are talking about the roster as a whole i think the broncos have the 4th best in the division at this point.

    they have good talent on defense but what about offense? they have good receivers on offense but not a legit starting QB to get them the ball. i think the broncos are the only one dimensional team in the division, meaning they have a good defense but not a good offense.

    but back to the chargers, they have the best QB in the division yet you say they have the third best QB situation? rivers has never missed a start in 11 years, they have the best QB situation until that changes.

    their defensive line has been upgraded, even if you think bosa isn't a great fit he is damn sure better than kendall reyas who is one of if not the worst starters the chargers have had on their team over the past few years.

    they finally got a legit NT in brandon mebane and on the other side they still have their only good defensive lineman corey liuget. their linebackers all improved last season especially once denzel perryman took over starting.

    the only spot on the defense i can say didn't improve or took a step back is at safety, which should offset if the front 7 plays better with the upgrades they have made. the defense still has to go out and prove they can actually stop the run but there is little doubt in my mind they will be improved.

    offensively my expectation is for them to have a top 10 offense and there is very little reason to believe that they can't. even last year with no running game, no legit starting center, and injuries up and down the OL they had a good offense until allen went down.

    now allen is back, they brought in travis benjamin to help their offense and ST's (kick return average was one of the worst in the league as well), they drafted hunter henry, and most importantly they brought back ken whisenhunt to take over play calling.

    people harp on melvin gordon and how he was terrible but if you know what kind of offense he was in at Wisconsin this next stat should open your eyes a little bit.

    the chargers last year ran the ball almost 80% of the time out of the shotgun formation. whiz already said that is going to change and they not only drafted gordon's fullback from college, they brought in an UFA FB that is a thumper and could make the team as well.

    i think the chargers should end up with a top 10 offense and top 15 defense.

    all of that combined makes for a turn around season IMO

    although the division is tough so it's hard for me to say they have a legit chance of taking the division but i do see them at least competing for it, it really is a wide open division this season IMO
    Hahaha, that's awesome, the Super Bowl champions now have the 4th best roster in the division? You fail to appreciate just how much better their defense is than San Diego's and Oakland's and Kansas City. Their 3rd and 4th OLB would be 1 and 2 on San Diego. Their 3rd best corner is as good as San Diego's. Their d-line is miles ahead of San Diego, even with Jackson leaving. Their MLB are better than San Diego as are their safeties. There's probably not a starter on the Chargers defense who would start in the Denver defense, not 1.

    Right now both teams have more question marks than answers along the o-line. Denver has better receivers, San Diego's top receiver would not start in Denver. San Diego is full of 2nd and 3rd options, until they can find someone who can be that number 1 option (I'm not an Allen fan, but he's got a chance if he can stay on the field for 16 games) their receiving group as a whole is underwhelming.

    Rivers is not the best QB in the division. Derek Carr is the best QB in the division at this point, if he continues to get better that will be very obvious this year. Alex Smith is second, yes he's captain check down, but he knows what he is and he accepts it, he doesn't try to do too much, he takes what's there. Rivers is a player who's very much on the backside of the mountain, if the Chargers accepted what he was and limited what they asked him to do, he's probably got another good to very good season in him, maybe 2. But as long as they run the offense through him and allow him to keep throwing bad interceptions at bad times, he's the third best QB in the division. Perhaps Wiz can come in and work his magic with him again? I think because Rivers is an emotional player, the strain of the uncertainty of where the team will be in 2017 is going to get to him. He's got a very large family (8 kids?) wondering where they'll be going to school and living is going to be a strain to him.

    All smack aside, looking at it objectively, if the Chargers didn't have the relocation issue hanging over their head, and some better coaching, I think the talent on the roster is a 7-9 to 9-7 team, but I think this season is a throwaway for them. They know there's too much going on and that it will be a struggle, so they kept McCoy, the question I wonder is if they brought Wiz in to be the next head coach in 2017?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    3,001
    I would very much argue Keenan Allen is a legit #1 receiver in this league....He just got hurt last year.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
    Nobody will attend that either, the only time you guys come close to selling out is when the Champs play on your broken down stadium.
    Yep, no hope for the sparklers , sadly.
    or when any other good team comes to play? i have news for you....a lot of those people are not real broncos fans either. i would bet a lot of those same people showed up in their steelers jerseys when they came to town as well.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bear Valley in The 5280
    Posts
    14,476
    Quote Originally Posted by baphamet View Post
    i got to thinking, since certain fans like Butler By'Note think the chargers will win 5 games at best this coming season....how bad do you donkey homers think the chargers will be?

    let your voice be heard!!! oh and if you have the stones, actually have a reason why you think that so we can have an actual discussion for once.

    thanks guys!
    1. Mike McCoy is still the coach.
    2. Philis doesn't have the ability to run that type of offense.
    3. They'll all be out of a job soon due to a lack of a fan base because eventually there is no revenue being generated. Without revenue they don't get paid and players won't give there all or go that extra mile in this league of greed.

    With that said I see them winning 5 games max...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    30,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Hahaha, that's awesome, the Super Bowl champions now have the 4th best roster in the division? You fail to appreciate just how much better their defense is than San Diego's and Oakland's and Kansas City. Their 3rd and 4th OLB would be 1 and 2 on San Diego. Their 3rd best corner is as good as San Diego's. Their d-line is miles ahead of San Diego, even with Jackson leaving. Their MLB are better than San Diego as are their safeties. There's probably not a starter on the Chargers defense who would start in the Denver defense, not 1.
    both jason verrett and denzel perryman would very likely start, verrett would arguably be your best corner going forward, especially on the outside which haris doesn't do a lot of.

    it's clear you think your defense is so good because it's so loaded and deep, that's funny. in reality it's mainly cause of the play from your DL combined with your NFL's top pass rush, it makes your secondary and other linebackers look better than they are.

    not to mention basically the same nucleus looked good not great the year before, until wade stepped in and took then to the next level.

    but yeah, as it stands the broncos have the best defense, a defense that will almost certainly take a step back from last season but still likely top 5 caliber.

    the problem is, as far away that your defense was from the other teams' defense, your offense is even further away from all the other teams' offense.



    Right now both teams have more question marks than answers along the o-line. Denver has better receivers, San Diego's top receiver would not start in Denver. San Diego is full of 2nd and 3rd options, until they can find someone who can be that number 1 option (I'm not an Allen fan, but he's got a chance if he can stay on the field for 16 games) their receiving group as a whole is underwhelming.
    there are question marks for the chargers OL to stay healthy and play better yes but they didn't rebuild their OL like Denver did, Denver probably got worse as far as talent goes along the OL but we will see what happens there.

    the chargers also addressed their biggest issue on the OL which was the center position, they brought in a very solid vet and drafted a center as well.

    LOL @ your remarks about receivers, i would say it's arguable that SD has better receivers with the addition of benjamin but allen wouldn't start? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    allen isn't a legit #1? allen has elite route running and everyone says that about him. he also has rivers throwing him the ball and not buttfumble......allen will have a better season than any current broncos receiver,



    Rivers is not the best QB in the division. Derek Carr is the best QB in the division at this point, if he continues to get better that will be very obvious this year. Alex Smith is second, yes he's captain check down, but he knows what he is and he accepts it, he doesn't try to do too much, he takes what's there. Rivers is a player who's very much on the backside of the mountain, if the Chargers accepted what he was and limited what they asked him to do, he's probably got another good to very good season in him, maybe 2. But as long as they run the offense through him and allow him to keep throwing bad interceptions at bad times, he's the third best QB in the division. Perhaps Wiz can come in and work his magic with him again? I think because Rivers is an emotional player, the strain of the uncertainty of where the team will be in 2017 is going to get to him. He's got a very large family (8 kids?) wondering where they'll be going to school and living is going to be a strain to him.
    LOL rivers the third best QB? okay man, i guess thats your opinion but its pretty out in left field that is for sure. at least you have some kind of argument though, i will give you that much credit.

    derek carr is probably the future of he division and he is on the most talented team in the division as well, but at this point nobody is as good as rivers in all areas other than athletic ability.

    i also do not agree on your take about "the strain of adversity" getting to rivers. first of all, do you actuality think rivers is thinking about where the charges are going to play next season during a live game?

    second of all, a lot of people don't realize that the way rivers plays football is pretty much the way he is all of the time (this is well documented), dude is a passionate about everything, he is used to that emotional strain that he puts on himself.

    you also have to consider that they are in san diego....the media is very tame there and would only be stressful when the national media came to down to cover prime time games.

    that Thursday night game against the broncos is the only one they have before the vote anyways.

    All smack aside, looking at it objectively, if the Chargers didn't have the relocation issue hanging over their head, and some better coaching, I think the talent on the roster is a 7-9 to 9-7 team, but I think this season is a throwaway for them. They know there's too much going on and that it will be a struggle, so they kept McCoy, the question I wonder is if they brought Wiz in to be the next head coach in 2017?
    you are right that mccoy probably isn't the guy.

    i just think you are putting way too much stock into the distraction this relocation thing makes. the chargers have some good pieces in place but they have to put it together and that does come down to coaching and staying healthy IMO

    one thing i keep saying that is definitely true......the division is wide open and that isn't to say the broncos cant still win it either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •