Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. It doesn't seem fair that professional NBA players participate in the games. I always thought it should be for semi amateurs, not for athletes who make $100's of millions of dollars. Same could be said for other sports like tennis, hockey and other sports. But that's just me.
    I agree completely. Re: olympic basketball, I always thought it was the US that changed it's rules to allow pros but apparently it was the FIBA (International Basketball Federation) that decided to allow professionals from all countries to play in 1989. Interesting that both the US and Russia voted against this but were outvoted. 1992 was the 1st year NBA pros were allowed on the olympic "dream team" and I wish it had never happened (not just in basketball but all sports where pros are allowed). I much prefer the old days of the olympics where the athletes were all amateurs playing for country and the love of their sport not millionaire mercenaries.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!

I love Kerry Walsh-Jennings and April Ross playing beach volleyball. Loved when Kerry played with Misty May but it looks like she picked right up where they left off.

So freaking dominant. Never lost a match in 3 Olympics? Unbelievable!

As Jaws said, women rule!

I love Kerry Walsh-Jennings and April Ross playing beach volleyball. Loved when Kerry played with Misty May but it looks like she picked right up where they left off.

So freaking dominant. Never lost a match in 3 Olympics? Unbelievable!

As Jaws said, women rule!
    I watched women's beach volleyball too-- what a great duo. But, what I don't understand is how they can move around in those big inhibiting bikinis? I'd think they'd want something smaller to free up their mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    I watched women's beach volleyball too-- what a great duo. But, what I don't understand is how they can move around in those big inhibiting bikinis? I'd think they'd want something smaller to free up their mobility.
    I have never understood why those women have to wear so many clothes!!!! Must be to keep out the sand.

But you know what they say......."travel light".

I don't often scream, but the sight of the Dutch rider cartwheeling over the handlebars on the steep descent as she went for gold in the road race was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I have never understood why those women have to wear so many clothes!!!! Must be to keep out the sand.

But you know what they say......."travel light".
    You guys!

Is there a medal count yet?
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by HUMCALC View Post
    Is there a medal count yet?
    Shooting - 1 gold, 1 bronze
    Swimming- 3 silver, 2 bronze
    Archery - 1 silver
    Fencing - 1 silver

8 total

Make that 9!
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 08-07-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Shooting - 1 gold, 1 bronze
    Swimming- 3 silver, 1 bronze
    Archery - 1 silver
    Fencing - 1 silver

8 total
    Thanks....
    Rod Smith for the HOF. TEBOW RULES!

What an unbelievably inspirational effort by Great Britain gymnast Ellie Downie. For those that didn't see it, after a scary fall (landing on her head and neck) on the floor routine qualifications, she got back up and tried to finish her routine, but stopped after shaking her head and realizing that something was wrong. She was tended to by medical personnel, and told the media that she was placed in a wheelchair. The British women's team had one qualifying event left...the vault (one of Ellie Downie's best events). With everyone assuming that her Olympics could be over, she comes back out, and incredibly lands two vaults, helping the British women's team make the eight team finals. I hope to see them on the medal podium.

And tremendous job by the USA women's gymnastics team. Total domination in the qualifiers...loved every second of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    What an unbelievably inspirational effort by Great Britain gymnast Ellie Downie. For those that didn't see it, after a scary fall (landing on her head and neck) on the floor routine qualifications, she got back up and tried to finish her routine, but stopped after shaking her head and realizing that something was wrong. She was tended to by medical personnel, and told the media that she was placed in a wheelchair. The British women's team had one qualifying event left...the vault (one of Ellie Downie's best events). With everyone assuming that her Olympics could be over, she comes back out, and incredibly lands two vaults, helping the British women's team make the eight team finals. I hope to see them on the medal podium.

And tremendous job by the USA women's gymnastics team. Total domination in the qualifiers...loved every second of it!
    Brave! : salute:

Happy that GB have gotten two medals overnight in the pool.
    A gold and a WR and silver for Wales' Jazz Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post

That was amazing!

Being a canuck, we do not expect too much summer Olympic glory....although we salute every athlete, and are proud of their effort. So like most smaller countries, we watch avidly, and when we win a medal, it is a big triumph. Some days we do not get big returns, but when we win, or upset someone, it is a big jolt to the national pride. Only 2 medals to date, but lots more to come.

I have watched a lot of Olympics, and have become quite happy with what to expect. To give some an idea, we have about the same population as California minus LA. No complaints. Just the way it is.

Now, one thing I can proudly say is that we have really advanced in the winter games. We are right near the top the last couple of Olympics, and in fact many say we won the 2010 games in Vancouver, with the most golds.

All in all.....I love the Olympics. I just hope the right athletes are rewarded, and all those who cheat get caught. It does dampen the parade when you step back and challenge the methods and mindset of some people.
    Last edited by CanDB; 08-08-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Wow, the USA women give up an equalizer goal at the 90:00 to Columbia. Still wins their group and qualifies for the semis.

⚽️⚽️

USA & Michael Phelps crushing it in the pool tonight.

USA women's gymnastics team crushing it in the gym.