First time going to a game - What's the fastest way to get to Mile High from DIA

Hey guys, I'm going to my first Broncos game against the Panthers! I've been a fan since I was a little kid so I'm super stoked.

My flight lands at 4:30pm. I need to get from the airport to my hotel downtown and to get game. Can this be done in enough time for me to get to my seat before kick off? I realize I probably won't have enough time to tailgate or walk around much so I'm just hoping to get to my seat in time.

I'm thinking of taking a cab from the airport to my hotel downtown to check in and drop off my bags. I was thinking of taking a cab/Uber to the stadium but I read that's a bad idea.

Would a shuttle from the hotel downtown to the stadium be the way to go? Do you think I can get from the airport at 4:30pm to my hotel downtown and shuttle to the stadium in time for the 6:30pm kick off?

Price doesn't matter. I want to get to the stadium as fast as possible.

Thanks and Go Broncos!!

If it was me, I'd go taxi. I am not a light rail guy-- I'd rather pay someone who knows the area. DIA to the hotel will not take long-- maybe 15-20 minutes depending on where you are staying. Downtown to the stadium maybe the same.

If I was in your shoes, I'd go the taxi route. You will have plenty of time and some cushion.

I'll be honest your are going to be pushing it to get to the stadium on time. DIA is huge so it'll take 15 minutes to get to a Taxi (which is probably the fastest way downtown.) the problem is you will be on I-70 in rush hour so it will be anywhere between 20-45 minutes to your hotel is my guess. so that puts you at your hotel at between 5 and 5:30. Where are you staying? if its in downtown you might be okay...

Quote Originally Posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
    I'll be honest your are going to be pushing it to get to the stadium on time. DIA is huge so it'll take 15 minutes to get to a Taxi (which is probably the fastest way downtown.) the problem is you will be on I-70 in rush hour so it will be anywhere between 20-45 minutes to your hotel is my guess. so that puts you at your hotel at between 5 and 5:30. Where are you staying? if its in downtown you might be okay...

I'm at the TownePlace Suites By Marriott in downtown

Don't check a bag and you'll be fine (hopefully you aren't delayed).. If you check a bag you won't even be ready to get a cab till 5:15ish then a 20-30 min cab ride to the hotel. Normally I walk to the stadium from the hotel (springhill by the pepsi center), but last time i used Uber and they got me there in 10 min. Getting back to your hotel after the game will be a pain... (since sprinhill is also marriott property, maybe it might be in your best interest to swap hotels. then you'll have the option to walk to the stadium or back..).. it's about a mile walk.
    Last edited by mcitmedina; 08-17-2016 at 01:53 PM.

Hi New Adventure,

Let me be a good friend and give you some honest feedback (you are a fellow Broncos fan and want you to have a great time). You are going to be late to the game with this schedule. This is nearly an impossible schedule you have outlined and it will only take one thing going awry to completely ruin your game day experience. I would be calling the airline to see if there was any way to get on an earlier flight that day. I have flown in for plenty of games and can tell you the Denver airport is way outside of town and it is going to take you longer than Googlemaps will lead you to believe (think like a drive in from Kansas)!

If it is impossible to change the flight, I would plan to make some sacrifices right now to give you the best chance. First, take a taxi straight from the airport to the stadium. Don't waste your precious time with the check-in process at a hotel. I wouldn't bring a bag so you can go directly to the stadium upon arrival and not worry about storing a bag. Plan to buy a change of clothes after the game or the next day (clothes can be found cheap in the downtown area). Call the hotel and let them know on day of arrival that you will be checking in late after the game. Marriott is very good about this, but definitely let them know so they don't consider you a 'no show'.

Please don't forget that it is going to take you time after drop off to get through security and to your seat. Arriving right at game time - security lines will be long with all the tailgaters scrambling to get in as well.

Please take my advice and see if you can arrive to Denver any earlier. Have a beer at one of the excellent tailgates before the game. There is a lot to say for not being rushed and stressed out for this game day experience. You will remember this game for the rest of your life - make it be for the right reasons!!

I agree with Jgagznos - you are going to be cutting it very very close. This is coming from a guy who flys in to Denver about 3-4 times a year for Broncos games.

With no traffic, a taxi will run you 45 minutes or so just to the hotel. A shuttle van will take you over an hour, since they make many stops along the way. Unless you're first to be dropped off, you're going to be sitting in the van for a while. Then, after you drop your bag off, you have to get to the stadium - 45 minute or so walk, or sitting in a cab for what I imagine would be even longer, with game day traffic. You could try one of those bike guys, that might go pretty quick?

What about the new train that goes to DIA > Downtown? I haven't tried it yet, this year will be my first time, but I fly in very very early on game days just to make sure I'm settled in before kickoff.

If being in your seat at kickoff is important to you, I would try to change my flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpathfinder View Post
    I agree with Jgagznos - you are going to be cutting it very very close. This is coming from a guy who flys in to Denver about 3-4 times a year for Broncos games.

With no traffic, a taxi will run you 45 minutes or so just to the hotel. A shuttle van will take you over an hour, since they make many stops along the way. Unless you're first to be dropped off, you're going to be sitting in the van for a while. Then, after you drop your bag off, you have to get to the stadium - 45 minute or so walk, or sitting in a cab for what I imagine would be even longer, with game day traffic. You could try one of those bike guys, that might go pretty quick?

What about the new train that goes to DIA > Downtown? I haven't tried it yet, this year will be my first time, but I fly in very very early on game days just to make sure I'm settled in before kickoff.

If being in your seat at kickoff is important to you, I would try to change my flight.
    Just wanted to chime in on the train. While it is awesome that there is a train that goes out there now it's ~40 minutes from DIA to Union Station downtown and they have had a few issues with it since its opening day. (I don't know if these are persisting or not) So while it is a good option back to DIA maybe i can't recommend it on a tight schedule for getting to the game. That and it only runs every 15 minutes i think from the airport so timing is everything!

Quote Originally Posted by 86Elwayfan View Post
    Just wanted to chime in on the train. While it is awesome that there is a train that goes out there now it's ~40 minutes from DIA to Union Station downtown and they have had a few issues with it since its opening day. (I don't know if these are persisting or not) So while it is a good option back to DIA maybe i can't recommend it on a tight schedule for getting to the game. That and it only runs every 15 minutes i think from the airport so timing is everything!
    Took the train for home opener... it was a BREEZE!

Train leaves every 15 minutes from the airport, and it's 9 bucks one way. The ride itself had I think 6 stops maybe 7, and it took 30-45 minutes or so. The train goes straight to Union Station, where you can take a light rail to the stadium, or you could even walk it if you wanted to.

Much easier than the $40-50 cab ride I usually had to take.