Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting QB

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    He's reading number 2, but I disagree that the only thing the number 1 can do is go deep. In cover 2, the linebacker should have been around where DT ended up. However, the dig route in cover 4 is a tough cover for the linebacker. It's usually the safety's man because if there is a dig from 1, there is usually some sort of crossing route or out route from the 2 to take him out of his zone. So, then the only thing for him to do is come up on the dig. In cover 2, coming up on that becomes slightly more risky in my opinion.

And I think because it was 2nd and 16, they were more comfortable with running cover 4. I'm not saying there is no way in wrong though. Just what I saw.
    It was a double in, the first in is meant to take care of the LB in cover 2, which opens up the second in. But I'm not confident enough in it to fully declare it was cover 2, that's just what it looked like to me, but given the down and distance, it could very well have been cover 4.

I know different people have different philosophies, but to me in Cover 4 you run a cross read for the corner and the safety.

Safety reads number 1 (the outside receiver) because if he runs anything in he's going to be coming into his zone. Number 2 can really only stress him deep, if he goes out he's going into the corner's zone, if he goes in he's either getting into the LBs or he'll cross into the other safety's zone.

The corner needs to read number 2 (the slot) because if he's a danger if he runs and out. You've got the sideline beside you so number 1 can only run deep to stress you, if he runs a hook, you're coming downhill at it, if he runs anything inside he's going into another player's zone.

The problem you'd get into running a cover 4 against teams that have game planned is if a team runs number 1 deep on a go or fade and then has number 2 run a 10 or 15 yard out.

After watching the first half and looking at the stats, I wouldn't be shocked if they start Lynch in the third preseason game. Neither Sanchez or Siemian have done anything to take hold of the starter's job at this point, so you might as well see if option 3 can do something to grab it.

If they decide completely against that though, I think you go with Siemian. I'd be very concerned with how he came back following the pick 6, but I think that he's done more than Sanchez at this point to earn the job. Yes he's taken the check downs, but aside from 1 throw and 1 series, he's done that fairly well. I really just wish he'd come out after the pick and attempted the next pass down field, shown some confidence. You can't shrink when you make a mistake you have to own it and completely forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    It was a double in, the first in is meant to take care of the LB in cover 2, which opens up the second in. But I'm not confident enough in it to fully declare it was cover 2, that's just what it looked like to me, but given the down and distance, it could very well have been cover 4.

I know different people have different philosophies, but to me in Cover 4 you run a cross read for the corner and the safety.

Safety reads number 1 (the outside receiver) because if he runs anything in he's going to be coming into his zone. Number 2 can really only stress him deep, if he goes out he's going into the corner's zone, if he goes in he's either getting into the LBs or he'll cross into the other safety's zone.

The corner needs to read number 2 (the slot) because if he's a danger if he runs and out. You've got the sideline beside you so number 1 can only run deep to stress you, if he runs a hook, you're coming downhill at it, if he runs anything inside he's going into another player's zone.

The problem you'd get into running a cover 4 against teams that have game planned is if a team runs number 1 deep on a go or fade and then has number 2 run a 10 or 15 yard out.
    I should have also clarified that I only saw the play once. This is all off memory. Lol. But, I wonder if it could have been cover 1. Nickelbacker ran with number 2 the whole way if I remember correctly. I don't remember where the corner ended up, but either way, if it was cover 1, 2, or 4 there is a chance the corner was right in that area. Cover 1 and 4 allows the safety to jump that route the best in my opinion. Knowing he for sure has help if he makes a mistake.

However, on the route concept you're talking about, we've always taught our kids that once the number 2 presses vertical at least 8-10 yards, the safety locks on him. This is also a bit smaller level of high school I'm talking about so we don't see as many difficult route concepts.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 08-20-2016 at 11:02 PM.

I should have also clarified that I only saw the play once. This is all off memory. Lol. But, I wonder if it could have been cover 1. Nickelbacker ran with number 2 the whole way if I remember correctly. I don't remember where the corner ended up, but either way, if it was cover 1, 2, or 4 there is a chance the corner was right in that area. Cover 1 and 4 allows the safety to jump that route the best in my opinion. Knowing he for sure has help if he makes a mistake.

However, on the route concept you're talking about, we've always taught our kids that once the number 2 presses vertical at least 8-10 yards, the safety locks on him. This is also a bit smaller level of high school I'm talking about so we don't see as many difficult route concepts.
    Corner was deeper than Thomas and outside him, not trying to come in at all, which would lend credence to it being cover 4.

In Canada there are always 5 DBs on the field, 1 safety, 2 halfbacks and 2 corners, so we see a lot of cover 3 zone, some cloud (which is cover 3 but halfs dropping instead of corners). Cover 4 isn't seen all that often. And defenses are almost always going against 3x2 or 2x3 receiver sets. So we teach corners to read 2 to 1, halfbacks read 1 to 2, safety shades over to the trips side and reads 3 to 2 but he has to also have some feel for 2 on the backside.

I really want to see Lynch with Sanders or DT. He had a few deep throws where I thought the receiver either gave up on the route or was just too slow to get there, I thought the placement was pretty good. Neal also dropped one of them too. I should add that I want to see him with Green too. John Phillips might actually be slower than Owen Daniels, he's making Krieger Coble look pretty good though

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Corner was deeper than Thomas and outside him, not trying to come in at all, which would lend credence to it being cover 4.

In Canada there are always 5 DBs on the field, 1 safety, 2 halfbacks and 2 corners, so we see a lot of cover 3 zone, some cloud (which is cover 3 but halfs dropping instead of corners). Cover 4 isn't seen all that often. And defenses are almost always going against 3x2 or 2x3 receiver sets. So we teach corners to read 2 to 1, halfbacks read 1 to 2, safety shades over to the trips side and reads 3 to 2 but he has to also have some feel for 2 on the backside.
    I'll have to find it again later and see if I'm remembering anything correctly but, I also prefer to teach corners 2 to 1.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 08-20-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I really want to see Lynch with Sanders or DT. He had a few deep throws where I thought the receiver either gave up on the route or was just too slow to get there, I thought the placement was pretty good. Neal also dropped one of them too. I should add that I want to see him with Green too. John Phillips might actually be slower than Owen Daniels, he's making Krieger Coble look pretty good though
    I've been pronouncing his name like "Cohble". But the announcers kept on saying "Cobble." Which is it? Lol

I've been pronouncing his name like "Cohble". But the announcers kept on saying "Cobble." Which is it? Lol
    I've been saying "Coblay". Thought he was French

Seriously though I thought it was "Cohble" as well

Kubiak looks disgusted with Sanchez's play during the first series of the second half. I'm starting to think that Sanchez is the third most likely QB to be starting in week 1.

I think I'll just call him Kreegzy, or something like that, maybe HKC?

Better Start Runing

Quote Originally Posted by 80stheman View Post
    And remember, this will be a run first team. Kubiak is having them sling the ball around in the preseason to see what they can do, but in the regular season, the RBs will be the focus of the game plan. The QB who makes the fewest mistakes will start. Right now, that's Seimian.
    The Broncos better start running the ball so not to be rusty when the regular season begins. This extreme passing experiment is taking away from games the Broncos will be running. Granted these QBs need to throw against real defense, but game management will be in and out of mixed called plays, pass and run, with audibles, unless audibles won't be allowed by coaching to the extent they were with Peyton thus explaining this crazy experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by 80stheman View Post
    Well, a pick 6 is bad....
    You could see it coming the way he was locking in on a receiver. He's still green behind the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Yes this should happen next week, but what will also happen is that he'll be lining up against a mean, hard, cultured, willing to bust heads 1st Team "D" in the Rams. If (it would be a good test - for Sanchez too, and/or Siemian) Lynch can work through the Rams' 1st Team "D", let alone survive, maybe we should go with him. Otherwise, it should probably be Sanchez, Siemian being anyway a shade of "green behind the ears."

Oh, and speaking of "D", I hope ours will continue to take matters seriously. The 2nd, 3rd,& 4th Teams are, well, lacking in intensity, desire, strength and look to be in with a Hollywood mentality instead of seriously playing hard nosed football.

Quote Originally Posted by MDN1959 View Post
    Yes this should happen next week, but what will also happen is that he'll be lining up against a mean, hard, cultured, willing to bust heads 1st Team "D" in the Rams. If (it would be a good test - for Sanchez too, and/or Siemian) Lynch can work through the Rams' 1st Team "D", let alone survive, maybe we should go with him. Otherwise, it should probably be Sanchez, Siemian being anyway a shade of "green behind the ears."

Oh, and speaking of "D", I hope ours will continue to take matters seriously. The 2nd, 3rd,& 4th Teams are, well, lacking in intensity, desire, strength and look to be in with a Hollywood mentality instead of seriously playing hard nosed football.
    Really don't think the Rams D is the same one of the last few years. Looks like they've finally lost too much to still be nasty.

I think Sanchez will be named the starting QB by default. If you're not the coach responsible for the results, it's easy to say you go with upside if no one steps up. But when you're the coach trying to keep the team together, you probably go with the experience when no one steps up. Starting a rookie week 1 can give the veterans the impression of a rebuilding season. Siemian has no experience. Lynch is just a rookie who still takes too long to make decisions and telegraphs his throws. He needs more time.

Sanchez is the veteran who had a good game against the Panthers defense in 2014. I think Kubiak will see that both of Sanchez's fumbles happened because Kyle Roberts failed to block his man. It's a competition in preseason, Sanchez is trying to make a play and Roberts allows his man to hit Sanchez twice. Yes, there is an OT worse than Schofield on the roster and his name is Kyle Roberts. Siemian's turnover was all on him. He had a clean pocket, had time to throw but telegraphed the pass and the defender jumped the route.

That interception and the constant checkdowns will hurt Siemian in this competition because he already has the lack of experience against him. He had to impress tonight. He started strong, but then played too conservative and made a costly mistake. Lynch against the Panthers defense does not look like a good idea.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607