Results 1 to 7 of 7

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,813

    Josh Brown 1 game suspension for Domestic Violence

    So, is there something fishy going on here? Rice and Hardy lost their livelihoods (deservedly so) and this guy will be playing in a month and no uproar. Has the league softened their stance on domestic violence, or are there other things at play?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    So, is there something fishy going on here? Rice and Hardy lost their livelihoods (deservedly so) and this guy will be playing in a month and no uproar. Has the league softened their stance on domestic violence, or are there other things at play?
    That is a damn good question. Apparently, once again Goodell isn't following his own policies.


    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-did...211418995.html

    Apparently he has a history of being a serial abuser starting when she was pregnant.

    From what I understand, his wife declined to speak to the NFL and after several attempts, local law enforcement would not or could not release any information. I'm not sure why. But that is certainly very strange.

    Therefore, with no complaining witnesses, no police report and zero information, the NFL said all they could do was to issue a one game suspension with such limited information.

    This article argues that Goodell shouldn't need to have the cooperation of the victim since it's all documented in the police reports.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 08-22-2016 at 08:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,813
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    From what I understand, the victim refused to cooperate and make a statement to the NFL and after several attempts, local law enforcement would not or could not release any information. I'm not sure why.

    Therefore, with no complaining witnesses, no police report and zero information, the NFL said all they could do was to issue a one game suspension with such limited information.

    Edit: Here's a link with a better explanation.

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...wns-suspension
    I still dont understand. Hardy was not convicted because the GF wouldn't testify, yet he got a hefty suspension. Rice's then GF didn't want the book thrown at him. Brown's ex said there were more than 20 incidents of physical violence including when she was pregnant and only one game? It just seems shady how these suspensions are thrown around with no semblance of equity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    I still dont understand. Hardy was not convicted because the GF wouldn't testify, yet he got a hefty suspension. Rice's then GF didn't want the book thrown at him. Brown's ex said there were more than 20 incidents of physical violence including when she was pregnant and only one game? It just seems shady how these suspensions are thrown around with no semblance of equity.
    You're preaching to the choir my friend. The domestic violence policy is a freaking joke. If you remember, Greg Hardy was convicted of DV by a bench trial in NC. And because of some stupid law down there, if the defendant doesn't like the outcome of a bench trial, they then can ask for a trial by jury, which Hardy requested.

    The entire domestic violence policy doesn't mean jack as far as I'm concerned. It apparently took them 10 months to investigate what? 10 months? I could have gone into any police station and secured those police reports just as easily.

    What I find rather strange, or as you say Bronco51, shady, is that law enforcement would not provide any information and declined requests to release information.

    Don't you find that odd? What is that about?
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 08-22-2016 at 08:26 PM.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    5,026
    This angers me. I wish there would at least be an explanation given. Idiocy bothers me more when I don't hear an explanation. Lol

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,124
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    This angers me. I wish there would at least be an explanation given. Idiocy bothers me more when I don't hear an explanation. Lol
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...wns-suspension

    Here is the complete statement regarding the NFL's investigation:

    In May 2015, the NFL was informed by the New York Giants of Josh Brown's arrest for an incident in his home involving his then wife. We began an investigation into the incident and circumstances surrounding it.

    In the course of the League's investigation, our investigators became aware that his wife had filed a statement with the county court alleging previous altercations between the spouses. However, despite multiple attempts to speak with her about this incident and her previous statements, she declined to speak with us. We understand that there are many reasons that might have affected her decision not to speak with us, but we were limited in our ability to investigate these allegations.

    Over the course of the 10-month investigation, we also made numerous requests -- as late as this spring -- to local law enforcement officers for information on the case and previous allegations. They declined those requests for information.

    As a result of these factors, our investigators had insufficient information to corroborate prior allegations. In addition, no criminal charges were brought forward regarding the incident in question or prior allegations. The NFL therefore made a decision based on the evidentiary findings around this one incident as provided to us by the District Attorney.

    The NFL made a finding that Mr. Brown had violated the Personal Conduct Policy. We did so based on the evidence of this one incident as presented in the police report, Mr. Brown and his wife€™s statements to police that evening, and his statements in interviews with the NFL.

    The NFL Personal Conduct policy allows for discipline to be imposed even when criminal charges are not presented. It further allows for us to consider both aggravating and mitigating factors regarding discipline for domestic violence.

    After reviewing the evidence in this one incident, we imposed a one-game suspension for violation of the personal conduct policy.
    Last edited by broncoslover115; 08-22-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Loveland
    Posts
    8,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    So, is there something fishy going on here? Rice and Hardy lost their livelihoods (deservedly so) and this guy will be playing in a month and no uproar. Has the league softened their stance on domestic violence, or are there other things at play?
    Hardy and Rice were much bigger names, Brown's incident(s) won't show up on TMZ and thus no public outrage. When the public doesn't care they get a short suspension.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •