Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Does Sanchez make the final 53?

Per Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the draft pick Denver traded for Mark Sanchez was a conditional pick.
    That means the Broncos will not owe the Eagles anything if they decide to release Sanchez at final cuts. After losing out to Trevor Siemian for the starting job, Sanchez now appears to be competing with rookie Paxton Lynch for his roster spot. The Broncos could also save $3.5 million by releasing Sanchez.

So Sanchez has a couple things going against him, the pick being conditional(Minor in my view, remember its only a conditinoal 7th that could turn into a 6th if Sanchez makes 4 starts) , but even bigger is the 3.5 mil that the team would save by releasing him.

So there are some significant benefits for the team if they decide to release him. It seems Kubiak is leaning towards Siemian to start the season, so the only way Sanchez hangs around in my view is if Lynch is way behind in development where he couldn't be counted on in a relief role. Then Sanchez retains probably just enough value to remain on the roster as the backup while Lynch develops.

The only other scenario that would make sense is if SIemian implodes/gets hurt in the upcoming preseason game and Sanchez is a bit sharper in practice and game play.

Ultimately I see Siemian doing enough to warrant the starting gig, and I think Lynch can probably have enough of the offense under his belt to come in the game if SIemian goes down so I think it's very likely at this point that Sanchez doesn't make the final cut.

Another option could be Sanchez taking a pay cut to stay

Yes. Unless there's a veteran QB who's cut who the Broncos believe in more. I wouldn't be shocked to see them add Christian Ponder when SF releases him.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Yes. Unless there's a veteran QB who's cut who the Broncos believe in more. I wouldn't be shocked to see them add Christian Ponder when SF releases him.
    Unfortunately I agree... Sanchez isn't going anywhere. It will be interesting to see Ponder in week 4. I can also see the Broncos kicking the tires on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    judging by Ponder's performance last game he may as well be the starting QB for the Broncos.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Sad part is, as much as I love Elway and Kubes, they're both arrogant enough to believe we can win a SB with a USC QB on the roster, lol! Cut bait and run with the noobs!!!!! Growing pains are much easier to handle and expected with those two. But I do agree that a vet is needed. If only for advice and mentoring.

I predict we keep Sanchez as backup...
    but only until Paxton starts...
    sometime after week 4..
    -
    Paxton will be starting no later than
    after the bye...
    IMHO.
    -
    Last edited by PAINTERDAVE; 08-23-2016 at 08:21 PM.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

From whati heard Sanchez took no snaps in practice... That to me is telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Oy, really? Hmm.

I think there's an angry disappointment that he didn't pan out. I think they drop him early next week if Siemien has a good showing. They gave him a golden opportunity and I feel are let down to the point of frustration he couldn't secure the starting spot. Why keep him? There's no trust there, so he needs to go. IMHO.

According to Andrew Mason he took quite a few. Mostly with the first and second groups and a couple with the scout team. Lynch took a lot of snaps with the 1s and 2s as well, but did the majority of the scout team work. Siemian was limited to handing the ball off and did not attempt a pass all day.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...4-18176047e2f5

We seriously need to chill and not rush Lynch's development. He won't be starting soon. We need to get that through our heads, accept Siemian as our QB, be patient with him despite his mistakes, and not turn this into a Jake Plummer vs Jay Cutler scenario.

Sanchez knows the system, so it wouldn't hurt to have a veteran backup. I'm all for keeping him.

That was Siemian mate.

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post
    That means the Broncos will not owe the Eagles anything if they decide to release Sanchez at final cuts. After losing out to Trevor Siemian for the starting job, Sanchez now appears to be competing with rookie Paxton Lynch for his roster spot.
    So, so much wrong with what you wrote. Look at just the first 2 sentences.

1. Conditional doesn't mean you owe nothing if you cut him. They owe a 7th round pick minimum no matter what.

2. He hasn't lost out to Siemian yet. He just wasn't tagged to start 3rd preseason game. Admittedly that's not a great sign, but Siemian still needs to have a good 3rd (and maybe 4th) preseason game to be named the starter against Carolina.

3. Competing with Paxton Lynch for a roster spot? What?? Lynch is not getting cut no matter what happens, his roster spot is guaranteed and he isn't competing with anyone for a spot on the 53 man squad.

If you meant he's competing for a roster spot in general, then he's competing with all the available veteran QB that become available following final cuts and maybe even an extra offensive or defensive lineman of the Broncos decide to only carry 2 QBs that have 0 NFL experience; which of course seems very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by broncsx3 View Post
    So, so much wrong with what you wrote. Look at just the first 2 sentences.

1. Conditional doesn't mean you owe nothing if you cut him. They owe a 7th round pick minimum no matter what.

2. He hasn't lost out to Siemian yet. He just wasn't tagged to start 3rd preseason game. Admittedly that's not a great sign, but Siemian still needs to have a good 3rd (and maybe 4th) preseason game to be named the starter against Carolina.

3. Competing with Paxton Lynch for a roster spot? What?? Lynch is not getting cut no matter what happens, his roster spot is guaranteed and he isn't competing with anyone for a spot on the 53 man squad.

If you meant he's competing for a roster spot in general, then he's competing with all the available veteran QB that become available following final cuts and maybe even an extra offensive or defensive lineman of the Broncos decide to only carry 2 QBs that have 0 NFL experience; which of course seems very unlikely.
    Actually, if the Broncos do cut Sanchez and he doesn't make the team, they will not owe a draft pick. That's the "conditional" part.

Per Adam Schefter:
    Pick Denver traded to Philly for Mark Sanchez was a conditional pick - meaning Sanchez must make Denver's roster for Eagles to get pick.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...19073024585728

Quote Originally Posted by ROD80 View Post
    Actually, if the Broncos do cut Sanchez and he doesn't make the team, they will not owe a draft pick. That's the "conditional" part.

Per Adam Schefter:
    Pick Denver traded to Philly for Mark Sanchez was a conditional pick - meaning Sanchez must make Denver's roster for Eagles to get pick.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...19073024585728
    Boom goes the dynamite, lol