Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Teams weakness

"We were asking Riley to experiment a little bit with a punt Joe [DeCamillis] has been working with him on, and obviously it didn't work out very good tonight, so put that on us as coaches," Kubiak said. "But he's got a bright future."

That's from a SB winning coach, I'll take his word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    "We were asking Riley to experiment a little bit with a punt Joe [DeCamillis] has been working with him on, and obviously it didn't work out very good tonight, so put that on us as coaches," Kubiak said. "But he's got a bright future."

That's from a SB winning coach, I'll take his word for it.
    Translation: we wanted Colquitt to take a 40% cut, but since he's obviously not going to take it we cut him and went with the cheap route. We wanted to see what our bargain bin punter was like compared to our cadillac punter, turns out he isn't that dynamic for a 7th round pick. Our bad.

The biggest weakness I can foresee is the refs not throwing the flag for the blatant holding on Von. If they set the tone early that it won't be tolerated across the season, then look for an even better defensive performance than last year.

Other than that, the OL is definitely the weakest link in what could be a dynamo of a team. Even with the enigma that is our QB's between Siemian and Lynch, we've got one of the most dynamic rosters in the league. But how far we roll is all on the OL. Personally, I feel that since Elway and Shanny have ended their "beef", that he lean on him as a consultant for OL personnel. Because Elway has all the right people around him that helped build that defense and they have some excellent skills on the offense. But the bulldozer squad is in need work. I think that's the difference between being the first team to 3-peat and measly re-peat champion!

Our biggest weakness will probably be the O-line to start the season as they haven't had the opportunity to gel as a unit.

Defensively my concern is the potential lack of push up the middle. We have great edge rushers, possibly the best in the league. But if the QBs can avoid them by stepping up in the pocket then that may be troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Translation: we wanted Colquitt to take a 40% cut, but since he's obviously not going to take it we cut him and went with the cheap route. We wanted to see what our bargain bin punter was like compared to our cadillac punter, turns out he isn't that dynamic for a 7th round pick. Our bad.
    This is probably is closer to the truth.

I don't understand people acting like Dixon has been so bad. He has about the same average (if you take away the one 18 yard shank since there is such a small sample size) that Colquitt had last year during the season. However, he is doing it with better hang time.

So, I'm not trying to say he's been great by any means. 43 yards per punt is not great. However, it is just as good as our 4 million dollar punter was last year. Let's give the dude some time to see if he can get comfortable and make some strides his rookie year. I think he his capable of finishing around 45 yards per punt once he gets some consistency down. With his hang time, that's plenty good.

The offensive lines once healthy and gelling should be fine. Our bigger worrie should be at TE, Jace Amaro just got released, while he's no Gronk he should be a viable option behind Green.

Quote Originally Posted by kona bronco View Post
    The offensive lines once healthy and gelling should be fine. Our bigger worrie should be at TE, Jace Amaro just got released, while he's no Gronk he should be a viable option behind Green.
    He'd be good if he makes it all the way through waivers.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

TE is a position I agree we need to seriously look at someone there. Jeff H just seems like he is glass.

That said a bigger concern fore is the Oline. We need to be able to win at the LOS in order to force the run game. Between injuries and the average guard play I am most concerned there.

Colquitt a Cadillac? Yeah that broke down one in my garage

Interior DL is more concerning to me than the OL. We won it last year with a sorry OL and we might actually be slightly improved there. But based on what I saw in preseason out of the DL, interior pressure was non-existent and teams ran it on us with success. Shades of pre-2012.

Wolfe is still there, but so far Crick and Gotsis are a HUGE drop off from Jackson and Walker. Both are easily blown up. I hope Todd Davis is up to snuff because he's going to have to clean up a lot of leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    I don't understand people acting like Dixon has been so bad. He has about the same average (if you take away the one 18 yard shank since there is such a small sample size) that Colquitt had last year during the season. However, he is doing it with better hang time.

So, I'm not trying to say he's been great by any means. 43 yards per punt is not great. However, it is just as good as our 4 million dollar punter was last year. Let's give the dude some time to see if he can get comfortable and make some strides his rookie year. I think he his capable of finishing around 45 yards per punt once he gets some consistency down. With his hang time, that's plenty good.
    Well since the last post got deleted since I tried to edit a typo I will post it again lol.

To add on to you I read he had a better net average than Colquitt did last year. This is including that 18 yard punt. I believe he punted the whole game against the rams and was fine in that game.

Now the problem I do have with him is his holding which I hope he gets fixed or find a different holder that can do it right. But I also remember everyone wanting McManus head after his first season and now everyone seems to love him.

Like most of you all, the poor punting of PRE4 has me a bit worried. I can just hope that in like last season how our defense and special teams would carry our offense, our defense and offense can carry our rookie punter until he gets his growing pains out of the way.

In the meantime, I wonder with all the trick plays Riley Dixon has on the internet from college - if the Broncos plan to utilize some of those skills. And if they use them this season. And if they're successful, will that build Dixon's confidence even though he's not kicking

I love how Kubiak puts faith in his guys and asks them to come through for him. I have to think this strengthens healthy relationships between coaches and players and when they grow into their potential makes them even better players feeling that kind of accomplishment.

Here's to hoping our strong roster can help carry any weaknesses that end up rearing their heads.
    Red 98

The early bird may get the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese

I'm gonna go with all the doubting fans as the teams biggest weakness.
    I really like Cheese.

Colquitt is terrible and always has been. How many shanks did he have last year? Dixon won't be any worse, who cares, it's a punter.