Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    917

    We need to lock up Kayvon Webster

    We all know this is Talibs last year with us, and we may not even get the full year depending on if there is any future league discipline.

    Kayvon is ready and we need to lock him up now on a favourable long term contract (at least 3 years).

    If Aqib were to get suspended, Webster would take over and I believe would shine. If that happens we will be priced out with what he would be offered on the open market. There is no way we can have Roby, Harris and Webster all on big contracts.

    The time is now to lock up Webster. He knows are system well and has the ability to really shine now. He would sign a David Bruton type of contract right now, which would allow us to spend the money necessary to keep Roby and have our No Fly Zone in form for years to come.

    I've always liked Webster, but injuries and our strong depth have kept him from really showcasing what he's got. You can't teach his size and speed. It would be a shame to lose him in this cornerback starved league, after investing in him. He is as good of a bargain as you will find at that position...Elway get it done!

    Doss has shown promise, but based on that last preseason game he has a ways to go. He can be our Webster for the next couple of years and keep our depth strong.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,614
    Webster has good to great st options for us. I do agree he can be a great cheaper option for us right now but the issue I have is how fast is he and how big is he?

    What makes Talib unique is that he is 6ft1 and a little over 200lbs. He is also quick...he used to also be quite fast. His height and size has allowed him to cover bigger guys and do it well. He also has pretty good technique but he is guilty of slipping up from time to time.

    Kavon has done alright when he's been in the game but not great. He is also 5ft11 and 190ish. So can he cover larger TE's and WR's? Would likely be tough Imo.

    As per Doss he played so poorly in the last two preseason games I was left wondering if the reports I had heard were a different guy....

    So if Webster can be locked up on a friendly deal sure....but not starter money....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    Webster has good to great st options for us. I do agree he can be a great cheaper option for us right now but the issue I have is how fast is he and how big is he?

    What makes Talib unique is that he is 6ft1 and a little over 200lbs. He is also quick...he used to also be quite fast. His height and size has allowed him to cover bigger guys and do it well. He also has pretty good technique but he is guilty of slipping up from time to time.

    Kavon has done alright when he's been in the game but not great. He is also 5ft11 and 190ish. So can he cover larger TE's and WR's? Would likely be tough Imo.

    As per Doss he played so poorly in the last two preseason games I was left wondering if the reports I had heard were a different guy....

    So if Webster can be locked up on a friendly deal sure....but not starter money....

    Webster has the long arms and reach like Talib, which makes him play bigger. Kayvon ran like a 4.38 or something at the combine, he is fast and is why he is a stud on special teams. He has added size to his frame over the years and has become an aggressive tackler. The problem is if we have to fill Talibs spot through the open market we always will be overpaying. Unless we work our magic and find an under achiever at a fair price, but that may be hard to find...even if we did it's going to take some time to learn our system.

    Kayvon has the ability to become all pro. The gang of Miller, Talib, Harris etc all talk about how he has transformed and is a whole new player. He was just voted captain for our ST, so he now is showing leadership qualities. Based on where he is now he his completely worth a Bruton type contract (or close to it)...but I believe has still a huge ceiling.
    Last edited by MarshallMoss; 09-05-2016 at 10:26 AM.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,322
    He probably got more action as a rookie than he did in any other season, and I always thought he showed a lot of promise. Raw talent back then of course, but still a lot of potential to be a really good corner. The forced fumble on Dez Bryant in the shootout vs the Cowboys proved to be highly important.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,904
    If Talib is let go or moved next year the players are in place to replace as much as can be expected.

    Harris , Roby and hopefully a re-signed Webster assume bigger roles. Same as they will be forced to this year if Talib can get himself suspended at some point.

    I would also expect a 1st or 2nd round draft pick to be used on the next in the pipeline. Doss has been inconsistent but maybe he can grow into a solid contributor too.

    Webster has improved over the last couple seasons and should get paid for his efforts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,311
    Add Stewart to the list. He has been an excellent under the radar signing and from all accounts is looking even better this year. I know we drafted two Safeties, but a trio of Ward, Stewart, and Simmons should be kept intact for as long as we can afford to keep them. Took a long time to get back to having a great 1-2 punch back there...no reason to mess with it.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,407
    Webster and Shaq are two guys that come to mind that are depth for us but could get a starting look elsewhere. Gonna be hard to keep these guys not just money but the promise of a bigger role has to come with it as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 5280
    Posts
    12,932
    Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Webster and Shaq are two guys that come to mind that are depth for us but could get a starting look elsewhere. Gonna be hard to keep these guys not just money but the promise of a bigger role has to come with it as well.
    Barrett is pretty awesome but outside of Denver I see him becoming more of a Reggie Hayward of Bertrand Berry.

    Not bad at all but nothing spectacular outside of our system. I like the guy but I truly believe that Dakota Watson is going to be better pass rusher in a few years.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    34,502
    Quote Originally Posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
    Webster and Shaq are two guys that come to mind that are depth for us but could get a starting look elsewhere. Gonna be hard to keep these guys not just money but the promise of a bigger role has to come with it as well.
    This is probably Ware's last year in Denver.

    So between Barrett, Ray, and Von, there will be plenty of snaps for him in the coming years.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    34,502
    It would be smart to try and extend Webster.

    But he may want a bigger role elsewhere and want to test the market, we dont kknow what goes on outside those lines.

    Some people on here really discount Talib's impact on the field. His ability to cover the bigger receivers and some tight ends is crucial.

    I wouldnt cut him unless his play falls off. Doesnt make sense cutting a player if they're still performing well when Denver still has plenty of cap room, OTC has Denver at 49 mil next year with Okung and Talib.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,909
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    We all know this is Talibs last year with us, and we may not even get the full year depending on if there is any future league discipline.

    Kayvon is ready and we need to lock him up now on a favourable long term contract (at least 3 years).

    If Aqib were to get suspended, Webster would take over and I believe would shine. If that happens we will be priced out with what he would be offered on the open market. There is no way we can have Roby, Harris and Webster all on big contracts.

    The time is now to lock up Webster. He knows are system well and has the ability to really shine now. He would sign a David Bruton type of contract right now, which would allow us to spend the money necessary to keep Roby and have our No Fly Zone in form for years to come.

    I've always liked Webster, but injuries and our strong depth have kept him from really showcasing what he's got. You can't teach his size and speed. It would be a shame to lose him in this cornerback starved league, after investing in him. He is as good of a bargain as you will find at that position...Elway get it done!

    Doss has shown promise, but based on that last preseason game he has a ways to go. He can be our Webster for the next couple of years and keep our depth strong.
    Von Miller is under contract through 2021.

    Brandon Marshall is under contract through 2020.

    Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons and Will Parks are under contract through 2019.

    Shane Ray, Lorenzo Doss and Darius Kilgo are under contract through 2018.

    Kyle Peko becomes a RFA in 2019.

    T.J. Ward, Bradley Roby, Jared Crick and Corey Nelson become UFAs in 2018.

    Demarcus Ware, Darian Stewart, Vance Walker, Kayvon Webster, Dekoda Watson, Shiloh Keo and Billy Winn become UFAs next year.

    Todd Davis becomes a RFA next year.

    Shaquil Barrett and Zaire Anderson become ERFAs next year.

    Twelve defenders are under contract for at least the next three years.

    This might be DeMarcus Ware's last season. I agree about Kayvon Webster and would add Darian Stewart to that list. When the season ends, we will know more about Dekoda Watson and Billy Winn.
    Last edited by samparnell; 09-05-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: correction
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Posts
    19,405
    What is a comparable contract for a #4 CB that helps mostly on special teams? Even if Elway offers a deal projecting Webster as the nickel CB next year, would he take a deal that pays nickel-CB money? I think he'd rather test the market unless the offer blows him away.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    6,311
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    What is a comparable contract for a #4 CB that helps mostly on special teams? Even if Elway offers a deal projecting Webster as the nickel CB next year, would he take a deal that pays nickel-CB money? I think he'd rather test the market unless the offer blows him away.
    Player has to weigh security vs potential future income. 3m signing bonus and 1st year salary guarantee would be 5M security, 2M, 4M, 5M, 6M salary starting 2017 (ages 26-29 years, still young enough to get another big contract).
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    917
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Player has to weigh security vs potential future income. 3m signing bonus and 1st year salary guarantee would be 5M security, 2M, 4M, 5M, 6M salary starting 2017 (ages 26-29 years, still young enough to get another big contract).
    Thats the ticket...a 3 year contract so that he can still get his big one. I think that is what would be fair for both sides...Kayvon gets some financial security and gets to stay in a system he knows...with a D that is going to be cohesive and dominant for years. A defense that brings an individual player to higher heights than the majority of NFL defences out there, making it more probable he gets his big pay day. On the other hand, the Broncos get great value for a hopeful stud starter for 3 years after this season.
    How did I get so lucky at 8 years old to pick the Broncos as my favourite NFL team and 35 years later have them be the most successful winning franchise since I picked them

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    34,502
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    What is a comparable contract for a #4 CB that helps mostly on special teams? Even if Elway offers a deal projecting Webster as the nickel CB next year, would he take a deal that pays nickel-CB money? I think he'd rather test the market unless the offer blows him away.
    Justin Bethel of Arizona signed for 3/15 i think.

    Or around there.

    He's a core ST's player and there #3 CB.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •