• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarshallMoss
    Special Teams
    • Sep 2007

We need to lock up Kayvon Webster

We all know this is Talibs last year with us, and we may not even get the full year depending on if there is any future league discipline.

Kayvon is ready and we need to lock him up now on a favourable long term contract (at least 3 years).

If Aqib were to get suspended, Webster would take over and I believe would shine. If that happens we will be priced out with what he would be offered on the open market. There is no way we can have Roby, Harris and Webster all on big contracts.

The time is now to lock up Webster. He knows are system well and has the ability to really shine now. He would sign a David Bruton type of contract right now, which would allow us to spend the money necessary to keep Roby and have our No Fly Zone in form for years to come.

I've always liked Webster, but injuries and our strong depth have kept him from really showcasing what he's got. You can't teach his size and speed. It would be a shame to lose him in this cornerback starved league, after investing in him. He is as good of a bargain as you will find at that position...Elway get it done!

Doss has shown promise, but based on that last preseason game he has a ways to go. He can be our Webster for the next couple of years and keep our depth strong.
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy
  • Rich_C
    Captain
    • Aug 2012

Webster has good to great st options for us. I do agree he can be a great cheaper option for us right now but the issue I have is how fast is he and how big is he?

What makes Talib unique is that he is 6ft1 and a little over 200lbs. He is also quick...he used to also be quite fast. His height and size has allowed him to cover bigger guys and do it well. He also has pretty good technique but he is guilty of slipping up from time to time.

Kavon has done alright when he's been in the game but not great. He is also 5ft11 and 190ish. So can he cover larger TE's and WR's? Would likely be tough Imo.

As per Doss he played so poorly in the last two preseason games I was left wondering if the reports I had heard were a different guy....

So if Webster can be locked up on a friendly deal sure....but not starter money....

Comment

• MarshallMoss
      Special Teams
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
      Webster has good to great st options for us. I do agree he can be a great cheaper option for us right now but the issue I have is how fast is he and how big is he?

What makes Talib unique is that he is 6ft1 and a little over 200lbs. He is also quick...he used to also be quite fast. His height and size has allowed him to cover bigger guys and do it well. He also has pretty good technique but he is guilty of slipping up from time to time.

Kavon has done alright when he's been in the game but not great. He is also 5ft11 and 190ish. So can he cover larger TE's and WR's? Would likely be tough Imo.

As per Doss he played so poorly in the last two preseason games I was left wondering if the reports I had heard were a different guy....

So if Webster can be locked up on a friendly deal sure....but not starter money....

Webster has the long arms and reach like Talib, which makes him play bigger. Kayvon ran like a 4.38 or something at the combine, he is fast and is why he is a stud on special teams. He has added size to his frame over the years and has become an aggressive tackler. The problem is if we have to fill Talibs spot through the open market we always will be overpaying. Unless we work our magic and find an under achiever at a fair price, but that may be hard to find...even if we did it's going to take some time to learn our system.

Kayvon has the ability to become all pro. The gang of Miller, Talib, Harris etc all talk about how he has transformed and is a whole new player. He was just voted captain for our ST, so he now is showing leadership qualities. Based on where he is now he his completely worth a Bruton type contract (or close to it)...but I believe has still a huge ceiling.
      Last edited by MarshallMoss; 09-05-2016, 10:26 AM.
      "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

• Bootleg
        🏈
        • Mar 2008

He probably got more action as a rookie than he did in any other season, and I always thought he showed a lot of promise. Raw talent back then of course, but still a lot of potential to be a really good corner. The forced fumble on Dez Bryant in the shootout vs the Cowboys proved to be highly important.

Comment

• FR Tim
          Football Immortal
          • Jul 2013

If Talib is let go or moved next year the players are in place to replace as much as can be expected.

Harris , Roby and hopefully a re-signed Webster assume bigger roles. Same as they will be forced to this year if Talib can get himself suspended at some point.

I would also expect a 1st or 2nd round draft pick to be used on the next in the pipeline. Doss has been inconsistent but maybe he can grow into a solid contributor too.

Webster has improved over the last couple seasons and should get paid for his efforts.

Comment

• MHSalute
            Ring of Famer
            • Feb 2011

Add Stewart to the list. He has been an excellent under the radar signing and from all accounts is looking even better this year. I know we drafted two Safeties, but a trio of Ward, Stewart, and Simmons should be kept intact for as long as we can afford to keep them. Took a long time to get back to having a great 1-2 punch back there...no reason to mess with it.
            Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• shawinkerpoppin
              Special Teams
              • Jul 2011

Webster and Shaq are two guys that come to mind that are depth for us but could get a starting look elsewhere. Gonna be hard to keep these guys not just money but the promise of a bigger role has to come with it as well.

Comment

• Sam_Z
                Banned User
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                Webster and Shaq are two guys that come to mind that are depth for us but could get a starting look elsewhere. Gonna be hard to keep these guys not just money but the promise of a bigger role has to come with it as well.
                Barrett is pretty awesome but outside of Denver I see him becoming more of a Reggie Hayward of Bertrand Berry.

Not bad at all but nothing spectacular outside of our system. I like the guy but I truly believe that Dakota Watson is going to be better pass rusher in a few years.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                  All-Pro
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                  This is probably Ware's last year in Denver.

So between Barrett, Ray, and Von, there will be plenty of snaps for him in the coming years.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                    All-Pro
                    • Aug 2009

It would be smart to try and extend Webster.

But he may want a bigger role elsewhere and want to test the market, we dont kknow what goes on outside those lines.

Some people on here really discount Talib's impact on the field. His ability to cover the bigger receivers and some tight ends is crucial.

I wouldnt cut him unless his play falls off. Doesnt make sense cutting a player if they're still performing well when Denver still has plenty of cap room, OTC has Denver at 49 mil next year with Okung and Talib.

Comment

• samparnell
                      Soy Capitan Meshpoint
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
                      We all know this is Talibs last year with us, and we may not even get the full year depending on if there is any future league discipline.

Kayvon is ready and we need to lock him up now on a favourable long term contract (at least 3 years).

If Aqib were to get suspended, Webster would take over and I believe would shine. If that happens we will be priced out with what he would be offered on the open market. There is no way we can have Roby, Harris and Webster all on big contracts.

The time is now to lock up Webster. He knows are system well and has the ability to really shine now. He would sign a David Bruton type of contract right now, which would allow us to spend the money necessary to keep Roby and have our No Fly Zone in form for years to come.

I've always liked Webster, but injuries and our strong depth have kept him from really showcasing what he's got. You can't teach his size and speed. It would be a shame to lose him in this cornerback starved league, after investing in him. He is as good of a bargain as you will find at that position...Elway get it done!

Doss has shown promise, but based on that last preseason game he has a ways to go. He can be our Webster for the next couple of years and keep our depth strong.
                      Von Miller is under contract through 2021.

Brandon Marshall is under contract through 2020.

Aqib Talib, Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe, Adam Gotsis, Justin Simmons and Will Parks are under contract through 2019.

Shane Ray, Lorenzo Doss and Darius Kilgo are under contract through 2018.

Kyle Peko becomes a RFA in 2019.

T.J. Ward, Bradley Roby, Jared Crick and Corey Nelson become UFAs in 2018.

Demarcus Ware, Darian Stewart, Vance Walker, Kayvon Webster, Dekoda Watson, Shiloh Keo and Billy Winn become UFAs next year.

Todd Davis becomes a RFA next year.

Shaquil Barrett and Zaire Anderson become ERFAs next year.

Twelve defenders are under contract for at least the next three years.

This might be DeMarcus Ware's last season. I agree about Kayvon Webster and would add Darian Stewart to that list. When the season ends, we will know more about Dekoda Watson and Billy Winn.
                      Last edited by samparnell; 09-05-2016, 04:12 PM. Reason: correction
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• -Rod-
                        #TeamBroncos
                        • Mar 2008

What is a comparable contract for a #4 CB that helps mostly on special teams? Even if Elway offers a deal projecting Webster as the nickel CB next year, would he take a deal that pays nickel-CB money? I think he'd rather test the market unless the offer blows him away.
                        sigpic

Comment

• MHSalute
                          Ring of Famer
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                          What is a comparable contract for a #4 CB that helps mostly on special teams? Even if Elway offers a deal projecting Webster as the nickel CB next year, would he take a deal that pays nickel-CB money? I think he'd rather test the market unless the offer blows him away.
                          Player has to weigh security vs potential future income. 3m signing bonus and 1st year salary guarantee would be 5M security, 2M, 4M, 5M, 6M salary starting 2017 (ages 26-29 years, still young enough to get another big contract).
                          Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• MarshallMoss
                            Special Teams
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                            Player has to weigh security vs potential future income. 3m signing bonus and 1st year salary guarantee would be 5M security, 2M, 4M, 5M, 6M salary starting 2017 (ages 26-29 years, still young enough to get another big contract).
                            Thats the ticket...a 3 year contract so that he can still get his big one. I think that is what would be fair for both sides...Kayvon gets some financial security and gets to stay in a system he knows...with a D that is going to be cohesive and dominant for years. A defense that brings an individual player to higher heights than the majority of NFL defences out there, making it more probable he gets his big pay day. On the other hand, the Broncos get great value for a hopeful stud starter for 3 years after this season.

Comment

• ERoyal248
                              All-Pro
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                              Justin Bethel of Arizona signed for 3/15 i think.

Or around there.

He's a core ST's player and there #3 CB.

Comment

Working...
                              X