Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Face To Face Conversation Has Its Benefits

If you are an excellent writer, you can often get your message across as good as anyone, but that takes time and skill, and thorough understanding of your audience. But when you add in the physical cues, and the directness of a good conversation, face to face, it is hard to deny how effective it is, versus online discussion, phone calls, emails, texts, etc. There are obvious advantages, including the opportunity to provide gestures that can add depth and clarification. Sure, we have these little guys >>> to help out, but there are not enough of them to convey a message as clearly as the facial expressions, body movement, and other detail that come from a seasoned "face to face" expert!

I find that a place like this is pretty good overall for the discussion you can have, but lets be honest, sometimes it is hard to tell how serious, or not so serious someone is, or if we even fully appreciate what they are saying. It reminds me of how much more effective my coffee meetings are with my ole buds, versus when we use emails to converse. Some folks don't email/text like they talk. Sometimes things come across more bluntly than intended. Often follow up does not occur, which would help clarify what was meant. There are other differences of course.

In that regard, I think we do pretty good here. It also comes with familiarity with one another. But imagine how things might be different if we actually met, maybe over a coffee, tea, or beer. Maybe throw in some gestures, smiles, winks, pats on the back, even a good, long laugh. Maybe add some clarity, by taking a topic a bit further, and working off one another's comments.

Again, we do very well here. And it is definitely entertaining!
    Last edited by CanDB; 09-05-2016 at 01:47 PM.

It's ok......you can respond to this in the form of non face to face communication. I was not expecting that, although it'd be cool.

Can, when are you coming to Denver so we can communicate face-to-face?

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    Can, when are you coming to Denver so we can communicate face-to-face?
    Hey JT......well, I came to a Broncos game 3 years ago, and I think I might be due for another one, maybe next year. It would so cool to meet you folks. I am actually a nicer guy in person than I sometimes come across here (sorry about that!). But of course my gestures, pats on the back, laughter often help with the communication cause!!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey JT......well, I came to a Broncos game 3 years ago, and I think I might be due for another one, maybe next year. It would so cool to meet you folks. I am actually a nicer guy in person than I sometimes come across here (sorry about that!). But of course my gestures, pats on the back, laughter often help with the communication cause!!
    You let me know when and I will buy you a drink of choice!

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    You let me know when and I will buy you a drink of choice!
    That is one very fine offer my friend!

Yes. I have a person in my life who constantly says- "Ill give ya call", or "talk to you later". While I appreciate that, I'm very much an "in face" sort of person. Meet me for a beer. Let's sit and chat, catch up on a park bench. That sort of stuff..... I HATE the phone!!!
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

For some reason I find that no one wants to have face to face chats with a shark

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    For some reason I find that no one wants to have face to face chats with a shark
    Maybe another shark.....

I'll have to spruce up my pool playing skills, and perhaps then we can chat.

Maybe another shark.....

I'll have to spruce up my pool playing skills, and perhaps then we can chat.
    You're a brave man to suggest playing with a shark in a pool

Adopted Bronco - Emmanuel Sanders

I've also been called stupid......

I've also been called stupid......
    I can relate
    Glen Haven Fire

Or in the pond that seperates us??
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

In my dating years, I always believed in very, very close face to face communication.

I was thinking about this type of thing recently. I find that most of the times I get into "disagreements" here is simply over minor wording, that could easily be rectified had we been face to face. Often during football games, or passionate situations, when one's argument counters someone else's. The emotions get in the way of a simple disagreement. They come across stronger than need be.

I will admit though, that when someone disagrees with me, but does it with some simple class, I do not get annoyed. But when online, and a person takes a bit of a shot at a comment or a view, it does irk me a bit. The same response with a bit of respectfulness has a completely different effect. We could save 90% or more of our time wasted on "slightly angry" interaction, if we followed a simple ground rule: "Think how you might feel, if you said it this way instead of that."

Not to be negative, but I do believe that some folks would prefer to disagree with certain folks rather than seek common ground, or at least, put some effort into explaining why they differ (again, with some basic respect).

In that regard, I also believe some folks miss out on the opportunity to improve relationships, by choosing to not show agreement with others (when they agree)....and pretty much only responding when they are in disagreement. As much as I can be a goof, if someone makes a great post, one that makes sense to me, I like try to make mention. Not always. I am imperfect in so many ways. But I do try.

So yah...online conversations are not without challenges. But even so, there are plenty of ways to do better to one another.
    Last edited by CanDB; 01-10-2019 at 02:39 PM.