Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 176
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    At home.
    Posts
    1,147

    What happens if Siemian has a strong year?

    I felt the desire to help neutralize the negative/positive scale when it comes to our young starter, and then I realized. This is a pretty good question, that I really don't think Elway has the answer to.

    I love what Paxton brings to the table. And obviously so does the whole front office. But what happens if Trevor continues to improve as he has every season for us. Do we just expect it to taper off just because of his draft value? He's consistently improved. And although I'm not asking for the next Joe Flacco, what if he's good enough to do more than just manage the game?

    I have a lot of positive vibes from these two. I have faith in Elway/Kubiak's confidence in these Quarterbacks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMRED View Post
    I felt the desire to help neutralize the negative/positive scale when it comes to our young starter, and then I realized. This is a pretty good question, that I really don't think Elway has the answer to.

    I love what Paxton brings to the table. And obviously so does the whole front office. But what happens if Trevor continues to improve as he has every season for us. Do we just expect it to taper off just because of his draft value? He's consistently improved. And although I'm not asking for the next Joe Flacco, what if he's good enough to do more than just manage the game?

    I have a lot of positive vibes from these two. I have faith in Elway/Kubiak's confidence in these Quarterbacks.
    Well, he potentially becomes a very valuable trade chip. Remember all the talk of us getting AJ McCarron? Some people on this board were willing to give up a lot for the Cincy backup because of a few good games. If Trevor proves to be a solid starter you can bet a bunch of qb starved teams would be interested. Heck, if he turns into the next Brady we could be looking to trade Paxton.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    At home.
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by gerontion View Post
    Well, he potentially becomes a very valuable trade chip. Remember all the talk of us getting AJ McCarron? Some people on this board were willing to give up a lot for the Cincy backup because of a few good games. If Trevor proves to be a solid starter you can bet a bunch of qb starved teams would be interested. Heck, if he turns into the next Brady we could be looking to trade Paxton.
    How would we know who to keep if Trevor keeps on improving? We won't be sure what we have in Pax until he plays a game.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMRED View Post
    How would we know who to keep if Trevor keeps on improving? We won't be sure what we have in Pax until he plays a game.
    It could make for an interesting qb controversy next year. Most people think Siemian is simply a stopgap. I'm sure he would like to prove otherwise. If he does, it will be a nice problem to have.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,167
    If everything else on the team (run game and defense) work out even close to what is expected the stats for Siemen will not be all that even if he has a good year.

    Also if the run game is doing its thing then Siemen job will be much easier.

    Still if we win games and his TD:INT ratio is good then his value will go up on some level.

    I am being realistic with the learning curve....I think back to Brady and his first year or two....Big Bens first year....both of them had real good defenses and run games. Brady and Ben were not asked to do very much most of the time but on a couple occasions they did pull out some very clutch plays and pass heavy drives.

    If Siemen can just take advantage of the strengths of the team and once in a while when asked make a good or least non-negative pass play...I will consider his first starting year a success

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,904
    I would love for Siemian to have a strong year. Makes the Broncos a better team for years to come. From both on-field and financial standpoints.

    I realize many do not agree but I think it is inevitable that Lynch becomes the starter and leader of the team. Siemian remains in the reliable backup role. Very similar to the Elway/ Kubiak relationship for several years. They supported and complimented each other. The Broncos had success with the combination.

    This may be an oversimplification but IMO in the NFL there are QBs that are playmakers that have to learn to manage games and game managers that have to learn how to make plays. The talent levels of both groups is close, they compete for jobs but in the end the player with the bigger upside usually earns the job. In this case, I think that is Lynch.

    Having a dependable backup locked in and ready to go at any moment is a valuable asset for any team. That is where Siemian will likely find his niche.

    Tonight and for the foreseeable future the Broncos need him to run the team and get some wins. Continuing to hope he is up to the task.

    Kick off can not come quickly enough for me!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,909
    Define "strong year".
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,937
    If Trevor has a strong season, he could hold off Paxton for another year. The question then becomes how long does he hold the first rounder off.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7,407
    Its hard to say because its loaded with "ifs" and hypothetical situations. One name I have not heard thrown around yet was matt cassell. Could he be the next matt cassell? I think he has a fools gold season with us someone pays the price by trading for him. And we laugh to the draft with our picks. Yes our line is shaky right now but this offense is a QBs dream and is set up for success I think our receivers and the overall success of the time will make any QB look better than they are.

    A young QB with a winning record and a decent ratio has first round pick or multi second round picks written all over it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    9,974
    Best case scenario, they go 19-0.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by broncolassiter View Post
    If Trevor has a strong season, he could hold off Paxton for another year. The question then becomes how long does he hold the first rounder off.
    Until Lynch beats him out for the job. I hate it when a player gets inserted into the lineup just because of his draft status. The best player should play, end of story. Didn't Shanahan make the same mistake with Jake and Jay? IMO, rookies should not be placed on short leashes because they need to make mistakes in order to learn and grow. Trevor should be handled no differently than Lynch when it comes to patience.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,904
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Define "strong year".
    Great question. Going to be interesting to see the responses.

    What would you consider a strong year?

    Much will depend on expectations or how his performance performance fits into the context of "winning football". Will he play all 16 games or just a few? Will the o-line and rushing game be dominant and keep the pressure off him?

    For me a strong year will be judged on how competently he runs the offense. If he is making good decisions and not turning the ball over. If he is getting the ball to the playmakers. If he is protecting the field position and providing the defense with good situations if the team is unable to score.

    Simply dependable smart football. Something I think Siemian is capable of doing the majority of the time.

    Difficult to put into expected numbers but I would hope to see 65% completion rate or better, preferably a 2:1 TD/INT ratio (do not care if it was 24/12 or 6/3 depending on games played) , a YPA near 8 yards per catch and a dependable QB rating of 85 or above.

    That would be a "strong year" for Siemian IMO.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    19,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco51 View Post
    Best case scenario, they go 19-0.
    I'm loving your best and worst case scenario posts.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMRED View Post
    I felt the desire to help neutralize the negative/positive scale when it comes to our young starter, and then I realized. This is a pretty good question, that I really don't think Elway has the answer to.

    I love what Paxton brings to the table. And obviously so does the whole front office. But what happens if Trevor continues to improve as he has every season for us. Do we just expect it to taper off just because of his draft value? He's consistently improved. And although I'm not asking for the next Joe Flacco, what if he's good enough to do more than just manage the game?

    I have a lot of positive vibes from these two. I have faith in Elway/Kubiak's confidence in these Quarterbacks.
    I'm with you 100%. I believe that Siemian is going to surprise many people with his play. I'm not expecting him to be lights out, but t wouldn't surprise me. I'm expecting him to be solid and efficient. I'm expecting him to run this offense the way it should be run. I'm expecting to see him hitting the TE's and WR's in stride on the crossing and out routes so they can make plays (and we all know if u hit DT or ES in stride, its 6 on the board). That's all I'm expecting him to do.

    But I'm also not expecting home to be perfect. I'm expecting his fare share of ints and a botched snap or handoff here or there. Anybody who thinks that shouldn't happen is fooling themselves. The best make those mistakes. We're gonna be great, because he's gonna be rock solid. And if Elway believes it.............

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    30,909
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Great question. Going to be interesting to see the responses.

    What would you consider a strong year?

    Much will depend on expectations or how his performance performance fits into the context of "winning football". Will he play all 16 games or just a few? Will the o-line and rushing game be dominant and keep the pressure off him?

    For me a strong year will be judged on how competently he runs the offense. If he is making good decisions and not turning the ball over. If he is getting the ball to the playmakers. If he is protecting the field position and providing the defense with good situations if the team is unable to score.

    Simply dependable smart football. Something I think Siemian is capable of doing the majority of the time.

    Difficult to put into expected numbers but I would hope to see 65% completion rate or better, preferably a 2:1 TD/INT ratio (do not care if it was 24/12 or 6/3 depending on games played) , a YPA near 8 yards per catch and a dependable QB rating of 85 or above.

    That would be a "strong year" for Siemian IMO.
    8 ypa is unreasonable. Only four QBs were over 8 ypa last year, and another eight were over 7.5.

    If Trevor has 7 ypa, he should be well over 3000 yards passing. TD to INT should be two to one. That plus a winning record would be good IMO.

    Ypa is a QB stat that transcends eras. Otto Graham is tops for career ypa at 9, Sid Luckman is 8.4, and Norm Van Brocklin 8.2. Russell Wilson (8.1) and Aaron Rodgers (8) are the only active QBs over 8 ypa.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •