Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
    Ok......now that we are talking about him, lets all watch closely to see how well he performs against Houston, and beyond. But watch him, not his QB/Oline/RBs.....or anyone for that matter. See if he catches "catchable" balls. See if he makes an effort to make a great catch or run over someone in his way. Check if he runs good patterns. Wonder if he is gaining separation when he should. Determine if he looks better than the rest. And then ask, "is he worth the money?"

Lets hope he passes this normal test. And keeps passing each game. Being a star means you look like one pretty much every time out.

Demaryius Thomas earned the money he is being paid now. To say the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" league is only partially valid because the entire structure of how players get big contracts has and always will be based on 1) what you've done 2) how well you did it 3) how did you do relative to your peers at the same postion.

Since when did a guy ever, at any position, get paid after having not performed well at all and the pay was based entirely on what he was projected to do? NEVER.

Demaryius Thomas' sample size, relative to the day he signed his deal last summer, was essentially over 4 seasons only Jerry Rice & Marvin Harrison were better or even on par, and they're both in the Hall of Fame right now. This is a fact. It's easy to gripe about paying him the money now, but before he signed on the dotted line (and before Julio & Dez signed almost identical deals, despite both being outperformed and being less consistent that Demaryius) that was absolutely what a WR of his caliber is worth, and it's what they're worth now. Period.

I'm also glad some have brought up the DRAMATIC fall in QB play that both Emmanuel Sanders & DT have had to deal with. Combine that with a bad O Line and absolutely not one single big-play WR in the history of the NFL are going to satisfy the complainers of the world who think because you got paid you should have 180+ yards and 2TDs every game.

And in regards to the top 5 WRs, Demaryius has probably fallen out of that top 5, but guess how much money every single one of these players either makes now or will actually make more than DT:

1) Julio Jones 15.25 mil
    2) Antonio Brown 12.39 mil
    3) OBJ 4.68 mil (by 2018 will be the highest paid WR, based on what he's done BEFORE he signs the contract)
    4) DeAndre Hopkins 1.9 mil (before next season, WILL be paid more than Julio, Dez & DT)
    5) AJ Green 15 mil

There are my current top 5 WRs. For those who say "DT isn't a top 5 WR anymore", you may be correct, but if you polled 32 NFL teams I would stake my life on Demaryius Thomas & Dez Bryant being 6 or 7 and you could flip flop the order of the two. Whether you like it, agree with it or disagree with it, top WRs in the NFL are paid that much money based on what they earned up until that point. That's what the NFL market now deems they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Ok......now that we are talking about him, lets all watch closely to see how well he performs against Houston, and beyond. But watch him, not his QB/Oline/RBs.....or anyone for that matter. See if he catches "catchable" balls. See if he makes an effort to make a great catch or run over someone in his way. Check if he runs good patterns. Wonder if he is gaining separation when he should. Determine if he looks better than the rest. And then ask, "is he worth the money?"

Lets hope he passes this normal test. And keeps passing each game. Being a star means you look like one pretty much every time out.
    What blows my mind about this thread is that even if the production is down two years straight (which so are the other wr's) the thread title is getting worse by the game.

Did we really forget that week 3 was his best game of the season? Can't be getting worse by the game if your best game wasn't week 1.

It's been a little down since week 3 but he was also the only one to score a TD in week 5 against the Falcons albeit sort of in garbage time.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    What blows my mind about this thread is that even if the production is down two years straight (which so are the other wr's) the thread title is getting worse by the game.

Did we really forget that week 3 was his best game of the season? Can't be getting worse by the game if your best game wasn't week 1.

It's been a little down since week 3 but he was also the only one to score a TD in week 5 against the Falcons albeit sort of in garbage time.
    People love to use dramatic titles when describing their dislike of DT...Remember the "DT is a waste" thread the day after we won the superbowl...

The same people complaining then are complaining now. It doesn't mater what good he does, that will be immediately forgotten in favor of any bad plays he has.

You know what they say....can't please them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    People love to use dramatic titles when describing their dislike of DT...Remember the "DT is a waste" thread the day after we won the superbowl...

The same people complaining then are complaining now. It doesn't mater what good he does, that will be immediately forgotten in favor of any bad plays he has.

You know what they say....can't please them all.
    That thread upset me probably more than any thread ever on here.

My main issue with this one is the inaccuracy of it.

It's also becoming comical to me that people saying "well two sites with thousands of people bashing him is validation of a problem"

As if a few hundred to thousand people represent the entire million plus broncos fans. And they must be right because a lot of them share the same opinion so those of us who don't share it are wrong or DT apologists

No I consider myself a loyal fan who refuses to bash a player just because his production is down.

That thread upset me probably more than any thread ever on here.

My main issue with this one is the inaccuracy of it.

It's also becoming comical to me that people saying "well two sites with thousands of people bashing him is validation of a problem"

As if a few hundred to thousand people represent the entire million plus broncos fans. And they must be right because a lot of them share the same opinion so those of us who don't share it are wrong or DT apologists

No I consider myself a loyal fan who refuses to bash a player just because his production is down.
    What cracks me up is if I bring up how much hate DT gets over on the Broncos subreddit on Reddit.com most of them seem dumbfounded about it because he's well loved and respected over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    What cracks me up is if I bring up how much hate DT gets over on the Broncos subreddit on Reddit.com most of them seem dumbfounded about it because he's well loved and respected over there.
    But that's inadmissible as evidence that tons of people still love him. Only what's being said on Facebook is admissible here.

You know I live in Alabama so not many other Broncos fans here. So when I talk to my buddies about the hate he gets here they all quickly say "well y'all go ahead and cut him and I hope my team picks him up immediately"

But that's inadmissible as evidence that tons of people still love him. Only what's being said on Facebook is admissible here.

You know I live in Alabama so not many other Broncos fans here. So when I talk to my buddies about the hate he gets here they all quickly say "well y'all go ahead and cut him and I hope my team picks him up immediately"
    Yep, lots of teams would love to have him. If we cut him old Billecheat would be licking his chomps. There are only a handful of teams in the league that can boast a better #1 WR than DT regardless of the down years. Most teams with an established offense would instantly get better just by adding him.

How quickly we forget the WR's like Lelie, Walker, ect... that were a huge step down from the WR corps we've got now. Heck I see some of these same people putting DT down saying how they'd love to have Marshall back, none of them seem to remember how much of a complete headcase he was, how he was constantly in trouble ect... but yea, lets just toss DT because he is getting worse by the game supposedly.

Nevermind the fact that no one will trade for him and it would literally cost us more in cap to cut him than to keep him, lets get rid of the guy, just because....

I think DT would have better stats with a proven NFL experienced starting QB throwing to him.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
    I think DT would have better stats with a proven NFL experienced starting QB throwing to him.
    And an oline that can block for more than 2 seconds.

And an oline that can block for more than 2 seconds.
    That would help also!!!

At the end of the day, I believe D coordinators dont game plan to take DT out of the game like say Gronk (yea, I know, he is a TE), AJ Green, Antonio Bryant, Julio Jones and other game breaking wideouts. DT is a non-factor and can now be shut down by average defensive backs.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    At the end of the day, I believe D coordinators dont game plan to take DT out of the game like say Gronk (yea, I know, he is a TE), AJ Green, Antonio Bryant, Julio Jones and other game breaking wideouts. DT is a non-factor and can now be shut down by average defensive backs.
    I didn't realize you were an NFL coordinator. Interesting...Unless you are involved in the planning you have no idea what opposing DC's are doing, you are just making assumptions. Why don't you name off some of the average defensive backs that have "shut him down" and which games those were to demonstrate your hypothesis? If you are going to make a wild claim like this, at least put some effort into backing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    You guys try to make it sound so simple when it's really way more complex.

When the oline doesn't block for more than 2-3 seconds and the young qbs dont know how to adjust the play based on something they see in the defense it is easier for average corners to cover in a short time window.

Gronk puts up a ton cuz brady is the best at changing the play and getting the ball out quick to wherever he sees a mismatch.

DT doesn't have time for his routes to develop before siemian is under pressure. And our offense is not designed for the same quick routes the pats employ.

DT had no problems getting open two years ago when the line held up and the qb play was elite.

But do people really think it's just a coincidence that his production dropped the same time the oline and qb play dropped?

I would be a willing to bet you if DT had Bree's or Brady throwing to him his production would be a lot higher again. But we may never find out.

Quote Originally Posted by capt. Jack View Post
    Not trying to be a goof, but that would be true of most receivers. Again, and maybe this point is not understood by some, but most of us are a little concerned about what happens when the ball is in the air, going towards DT......and whether or not he is being assertive enough, tough enough, and showing the talent that he has, and is getting paid for. I watch him really close, because I want his FF points. And when you watch very closely, you will notice how often he drops balls over the middle for example. And 2 fumbles in just 6 games is a bad start, for any receiver.

His stats are going down. He looks less and less like "the guy". Sanders looks better and has for some time. Forget who is throwing or blocking or running or coaching, Sanders has looked more dangerous going back into last season (at minimum).

And after all of this, I want him to prove us types totally wrong, which will translate to a great performance against Houston......and beyond. I will gladly point out my "unfair" assessment.