Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
    I think DT is physically capable of repeating his 2014 stats but he's just not in the game mentally anymore.
    2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Just to summarize, using yards/game and TDs as a measure.....

2010 28.3 2
    2011 50.1 4
    2012 89.6 10
    2013 89.4 14
    2014 101.2 11
    2015 81.5 6
    2016 69.3 3 (projected to 8)

Without knowing all the details, if I was asked to assess these stats, I would conclude that the player was on a decline. Clearly the peak years were 2012 thru '14, with a slight decline in '15, and a similar pattern for '16. Yes, it's early in '16, so we need more data.

But overall, given the salary, not going in the same direction.

Do we blame the QBs/Oline/Coaching? Some of the issue lies with them. But I would argue that Manning was not doing that well as far back as 2014, and yet DT had his best yards/game season.

Again, high level stats, but seemingly a trend.
    I don't have dropped passes stats nearby, but as for fumbles...... in only a portion of the last 2 seasons (1.375 related games) he has fumbled 4 times, whereas in the 2 previous seasons he only fumbled 1 time. If you project, his last 2 seasons will equate to over 7 fumbles (over 5 this year!!), compared to only 1 in the previous two seasons. Even if he does not fumble again this year, it's 4 to 1. That's all on him.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-15-2016 at 10:55 AM.

What I have noticed about DT, is he doesnt "attack" the ball. He waits for the ball to come to him instead of him driving to the ball. He does draw quite a few PI calls but with his size and speed his stat per game should be at least double what it is.

Well we could always go back to the likes of Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts, heck throw in Charlie Adams to round off those awesome receiving classes (which old man Rod Smith HAD to carry until his hip couldn't take it anymore).

Sure, DT is paid a lot of money. A LOT of money. In the end that was his market, and that's what Elway/FO and Thomas agreed on.

He's not putting up HUGE stats anymore - surprise surprise - Peyton Manning got old and retired, and we have a seventh round rookie throwing him the ball with little to no protection. Yet, some people are surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Well we could always go back to the likes of Ashley Lelie and Darius Watts, heck throw in Charlie Adams to round off those awesome receiving classes (which old man Rod Smith HAD to carry until his hip couldn't take it anymore).

Sure, DT is paid a lot of money. A LOT of money. In the end that was his market, and that's what Elway/FO and Thomas agreed on.

He's not putting up HUGE stats anymore - surprise surprise - Peyton Manning got old and retired, and we have a seventh round rookie throwing him the ball with little to no protection. Yet, some people are surprised?
    Don't leave out Kevin Kasper. We really want through a lot of receivers looking for a compliment to Rod Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    What I have noticed about DT, is he doesnt "attack" the ball. He waits for the ball to come to him instead of him driving to the ball. He does draw quite a few PI calls but with his size and speed his stat per game should be at least double what it is.
    You can't "attack or drive" to a pass that's thrown behind you or late. When the QB throws it up to where it's a jump ball or where only DT can get it, he's one the best in the game at that. But those passes have been far and few in-between the past 2 seasons. And almost every jump ball, that was within his catchable radius, he's caught for a big gain or a td.

When you run screen, short, and intermediate routes, they're all timed so if the ball isn't there as he's coming out of his break (where he's very aggressive at), he has to wait for it, just like every other WR in the history of football. Physics dictate that, not "will or want".

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post

Good points.

I don't believe it is about huge stats. It is about making more plays when the opportunities are there. In the Bengals game DT fumbled on a drive that was gaining momentum (he caught a deep pass later in the game - a catch he should make). In the Falcons game he did not make a play on the late deep pass from Siemian (somewhat of a tough catch). Against the Chargers he covered up on a crossing route - never had a chance for the catch because he avoided contact. Norwood isn't afraid to get hit and he is tiny compared to DT. He fumbled on the 27 yard line with 3:43 left.

DT's issues are not the fault of a 7th round rookie. I understand there may be fewer opportunities with the caliber of QB and line - it is more about what DT can control.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Good points.

I don't believe it is about huge stats. It is about making more plays when the opportunities are there. In the Bengals game DT fumbled on a drive that was gaining momentum (he caught a deep pass later in the game - a catch he should make). In the Falcons game he did not make a play on the late deep pass from Siemian (somewhat of a tough catch). Against the Chargers he covered up on a crossing route - never had a chance for the catch because he avoided contact. Norwood isn't afraid to get hit and he is tiny compared to DT. He fumbled on the 27 yard line with 3:43 left.

DT's issues are not the fault of a 7th round rookie. I understand there may be fewer opportunities with the caliber of QB and line - it is more about what DT can control.
    I agree with you. This is not about the stats only, although my study shows a downward trend, even if this is a bit premature to lay on the guy.....but it is a trend. The average yards per game are certainly dipping to date. The fumbles per year are also going in the wrong direction. But for me, it's the confidence I have in him. Will he make that key catch, even if in some good coverage? Will he pull in passes over the middle in traffic? Will he look dynamic when catching the ball? These are not typical stats if you get my drift, but something's been lacking. He certainly wasn't evident in last year's SB. And though this too may be unfair, he seems to get hurt every game. Perhaps he has not got over an serious injury from the past.

Update: in last year's 3 playoff games DT went 7 for 60 yards, including 1 for 8 in the SB. Sanders on the other hand went 16 for 230.
    Last edited by CanDB; 10-16-2016 at 08:28 AM.

But for me, it's the confidence I have in him. Will he make that key catch, even if in some good coverage? Will he pull in passes over the middle in traffic? Will he look dynamic when catching the ball? These are not typical stats if you get my drift, but something's been lacking. He certainly wasn't evident in last year's SB.
    I agree on the bigger-than-stats performance of the player. A visibly declining Manning was still reading coverages, putting our offense in the correct positions and was contributing at the critical moments. If DT touches the ball only 10 times in a game but 8 of them result in third down completions, I'd be his biggest fan!

I agree with you. This is not about the stats only, although my study shows a downward trend, even if this is a bit premature to lay on the guy.....but it is a trend. The average yards per game are certainly dipping to date. The fumbles per year are also going in the wrong direction. But for me, it's the confidence I have in him. Will he make that key catch, even if in some good coverage? Will he pull in passes over the middle in traffic? Will he look dynamic when catching the ball? These are not typical stats if you get my drift, but something's been lacking. He certainly wasn't evident in last year's SB. And though this too may be unfair, he seems to get hurt every game. Perhaps he has not got over an serious injury from the past.

Update: in last year's 3 playoff games DT went 7 for 60 yards, including 1 for 8 in the SB. Sanders on the other hand went 16 for 230.
    I agree. Not sure what should or can be done. Kubiak has shown he can make tough decisions. Moving DT to 3rd or 4th behind Fowler and Taylor might get him to fight more when he gets opportunities. Doubt that will happen but not many options other than continuing with the status quo. Would the offense be that much worse with Fowler or Taylor?

I pretty much am meh about DT too. He's way softer than his size. If there's ever any kind of contact he gets up rubbing his boo boos. E Sanders doesnt do that. Sanders is a warrior who plays 100x more physical than DT. It's sad really.

I listen to Denver sports radio a lot and there's a commercial he does that just gets under my skin too. It's for a jewelry store. He gives testimony about the deals he's gotten and says that they're his jeweler. It just kind of makes me sick. Then at the end he says - "And hey - tell em Demaryius sentcha" Shame he's spending that good money on diamonds and chains that could go elsewhere like OL or TE
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I pretty much am meh about DT too. He's way softer than his size. If there's ever any kind of contact he gets up rubbing his boo boos. E Sanders doesnt do that. Sanders is a warrior who plays 100x more physical than DT. It's sad really.

I listen to Denver sports radio a lot and there's a commercial he does that just gets under my skin too. It's for a jewelry store. He gives testimony about the deals he's gotten and says that they're his jeweler. It just kind of makes me sick. Then at the end he says - "And hey - tell em Demaryius sentcha" Shame he's spending that good money on diamonds and chains that could go elsewhere like OL or TE

I couldn't agree with you more. If DT weren't an overpriced diva, I'd have no problems with him. He's got a decent head on his shoulders and appears to be a soft spoken leader. But he is far from 'eliite'

You say 'elite' you think of Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, AJ Green.... DT is nowhere near their level.

I am watching AJ Green own the Pats secondary.... making tough catches... I wish DT was that good.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    I am watching AJ Green own the Pats secondary.... making tough catches... I wish DT was that good.
    I'm watching Pierre Garçon catch passes over the middle with zero hesitation. I would take a veteran WR like Garcon or Bolden over DT at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    I'm watching Pierre Garçon catch passes over the middle with zero hesitation. I would take a veteran WR like Garcon or Bolden over DT at this point.
    Especially for the price tag. DT is a good receiver but not worth that tag. We could pay two very good offensive lineman and have some left over on that contact alone.