View Poll Results: How would you fix the Broncos Offensive Line?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fire Offensive Line Coach?

3 8.33%
  • Rotate and Reshuffle Offensive Line?

5 13.89%
  • Sign Other Offensive Linemen

17 47.22%
  • Other

11 30.56%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How would you fix the Broncos offensive line?

This was posted on Instagram and I thought it'd be a good idea to post it in here.

Just as stated in the picture, lets keep it nice and respectful folks. It's only a discussion.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 10-15-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    Bradley Chubb has an Aaron Donald type ability to disrupt and wreck games!

Right now I would start mixing in angle blocking run plays and I would start moving the QB and mixing in different pass pro. Some max pro, some slide pro etc. And I would get Dennison to spend more time with them. That's about all you can do right now. In the offseason I would look at all options.

And for those anxious to bring Gibbs back, he's burned bridges in every stop he's had in the NFL, he's not a well liked guy, and if you go to YouTube and watch his presentations you can see why. He's not the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Right now I would start mixing in angle blocking run plays and I would start moving the QB and mixing in different pass pro. Some max pro, some slide pro etc. And I would get Dennison to spend more time with them. That's about all you can do right now. In the offseason I would look at all options.

And for those anxious to bring Gibbs back, he's burned bridges in every stop he's had in the NFL, he's not a well liked guy, and if you go to YouTube and watch his presentations you can see why. He's not the answer.
    I completely agree with you on Dennison. He has had plenty of training under Alex Gibbs, therefore I feel he needs to get more involved with the offensive line on a personal level.

I'm not so sure he could have as great of an impact as we need him to with Clancy Barone there but he definitely needs to take on the responsibility of correcting their flaws he has the most experience in the system working with the offensive line the past.

The "fire position coach" option brings another question: who would coach the OL? And no, it would not be Alex Gibbs (or Mark Schlereth). If Elway and Kubiak thought there was an issue with coaching, they would have changed it. Kubiak decided to retain Clancy Barone and moved him from TEs coach to OL coach. John Benton, Kubiak's OL coach in Houston, was available until March when he was hired by the Jaguars as an assistant OL coach. So, Elway and Kubiak had opportunities to change the OL coach in 2015 and 2016. If they did not do it, I will have to guess the OL coach is not the problem.

I think the solution can't happen this season. The right answer to me is to bring quality guards to the OL. After the issues at OT last season, Elway brought Okung and Stephenson. The guard position might need a similar type of investment next year. Garcia was somewhat the starting LG by default and the RG spot was supposed to be a transition for Sambrailo, but he's constantly injured and never learned the position. Schofield was the one who moved from RT to RG. If you watch the run plays, it's clear we are not getting great blocks from the LG or the RG. The OL is getting blown at the line of scrimmage or missing assignments. Maybe time and experience will make them communicate better and play better an a unit. If Kubiak reshuffles the OL, the unit's chemistry might become an issue for a longer period of time.

The bottom line is that I think we lack talent at both guard spots to open lanes for the RBs consistently.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Unfortunately we're stuck with the line that we have, and I think the more practical fixes will be more like band-aids then anything else. I agree with what's been said about the fact that it'll take the offseason to really revamp the o-line. The best we can really hope for is that as the season progresses the o-line improves and begins to gel together as a unit.

I'm not exactly an X's and O's guy but there are probably at least some ways to schematically mitigate the flaws in the o-line. Like I said, it'll probably be a band-aid at best.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    The "fire position coach" option brings another question: who would coach the OL? And no, it would not be Alex Gibbs (or Mark Schlereth). If Elway and Kubiak thought there was an issue with coaching, they would have changed it. Kubiak decided to retain Clancy Barone and moved him from TEs coach to OL coach. John Benton, Kubiak's OL coach in Houston, was available until March when he was hired by the Jaguars as an assistant OL coach. So, Elway and Kubiak had opportunities to change the OL coach in 2015 and 2016. If they did not do it, I will have to guess the OL coach is not the problem.

I think the solution can't happen this season. The right answer to me is to bring quality guards to the OL. After the issues at OT last season, Elway brought Okung and Stephenson. The guard position might need a similar type of investment next year. Garcia was somewhat the starting LG by default and the RG spot was supposed to be a transition for Sambrailo, but he's constantly injured and never learned the position. Schofield was the one who moved from RT to RG. If you watch the run plays, it's clear we are not getting great blocks from the LG or the RG. The OL is getting blown at the line of scrimmage or missing assignments. Maybe time and experience will make them communicate better and play better an a unit. If Kubiak reshuffles the OL, the unit's chemistry might become an issue for a longer period of time.

The bottom line is that I think we lack talent at both guard spots to open lanes for the RBs consistently.
    Keep in mind that with the contract Okung signed, there's a very real chance they're looking for a new LT in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I completely agree with you on Dennison. He has had plenty of training under Alex Gibbs, therefore I feel he needs to get more involved with the offensive line on a personal level.

I'm not so sure he could have as great of an impact as we need him to with Clancy Barone there but he definitely needs to take on the responsibility of correcting their flaws he has the most experience in the system working with the offensive line the past.

I'm not a big Clancy Barone guy as an o-line coach, I think he's a good TE coach but struggles at o-line. This is his second stint doing it with Denver, and both times the line has struggled. He's the TE coach that developed Julius Thomas, I really don't know why he wasn't left there?

But with that said, if they do make a change in the offseason I would be keenly keeping my eyes on Chicago to see what happens with John Fox, if he's let go, and doesn't get another job, Dave Magazu is a guy I'd be trying to bring back. He's a good o-line coach and he's a believer in the zone system.

I'd also consider luring away Bobby Turner (if possible), no he's not an o-line coach, but everywhere he goes the run game has success, check that, this style run game has success. I'm somewhat of the belief that Alex Gibbs gets more credit than he deserves and Bobby Turner gets absolutely none of the praise he deserves.

Stop drafting zone linemen early. Sambraillo and Schofield both needed 2-3 years in the weight room before playing, they haven't had that and we're seeing them get blown back. Garcia is not a fit in the zone scheme and drafting him was confusing to me. Paradis and the guards all struggle with A gap blitzes.

Unfortunately the only real change we could make lineup wise is to put McGovern or Weems in but I doubt that yields much better results if at all.

We need to start running some more angle blocked plays. Don't give up completely on the zone runs as we need them to run our bootleg stuff but it's clear that CJ runs better behind a pulling lineman.

Trade for Dallas' Oline. Problem solved.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Quote Originally Posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Trade for Dallas' Oline. Problem solved.
    Package deal; It comes with 5 years of horrible season endings..

My selection is A. Not so much interested in "firing" anyone but it should be clear after several personnel shuffles that we need better coaching up front.
    Last edited by River Side; 10-16-2016 at 05:08 AM.

My solution would be to play Paxton Lynch and use him the way he should be used. I don't think Kubiak used him the right way against Atlanta. They need to use his mobility and size. He doesn't have to take the hits that Cam Newton takes, but he needs to be as much a part of the running game as Newton is for the Panthers.
    Last edited by broncolee; 10-16-2016 at 09:54 AM.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wont Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Drafting and signing talent at Guard will help however that won't happen until next year.

In the last two games the Broncos fell behind early. Against the Falcons Lynch was in shotgun more and the play calls were 35 pass vs. 24 run - 60% pass with a rookie QB in his first career start.

Thursday night Siemian had 50 pass attempts vs. 16 run - 75% pass. Siemian was in the shotgun more than the first four games (I have not looked at the count but it appeared to be shotgun heavy).

As we know the shotgun changes the timing for the RB to read the hole. The zone steps plays require the RB to make the read on a specific step. Since the offense has played more in shotgun the production has gone down. Need to get back under center to setup the run plays with the right timing/steps.

Stephenson was out vs. Falcons and we saw what happened to Sambrailo. Stephenson was back vs. Chargers however the offense passed 50 times. The run game can't happen passing 75%.

The line needs to play better and getting back to a balanced pass/run should help. Get back to Siemian under center. The Broncos need to find a way to get the lead early to avoid going heavy pass.

For all of the complaints about the defense they held Rivers to 178 yards.

I won't argue that the line doesn't need more talent but believe the offense can improve now with what we have.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 10-16-2016 at 07:54 AM.

I don't know how we fix it but i'll say this for most of the last 2 years we get pushed around up front A LOT esp. short yardage...in 'peytons offense' he helped mask that by getting rid it of quickly n we also used the TE...

now were just a dink n dunk pass offense w/ no run game n w/ basically 2 rookie qb's it does not look good...hopefully w/ these 10 days off we can come up w/ few new wrinkles but I don't see a whole lot of changes coming

We have been through 2 regimes and had the same coach at the Oline position in both. In both regimes our oline has been slaughtered by poor technique.

Now at first one may say that the issue was our drafting....but Paradis has played very well. So that leads me to think our main issue is coaching and may not be drafting. I would opt for a coaching change at the olone but only if there is someone we can bring in who is good to great....I'd even consider a college coach from a team who churns out great lineman.

Cohesion, cohesion and cohesion! Ok, maybe some adjustment in scheme and game plan. Oh, and RELAX.