Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Last year, I defended almost everything going wrong, and am not a "sky is falling" person. But it is.

The "stop over-reacting" crowd is right that 6-3 isn't the worst thing, but the "over-reaction" has little to do with our record. It has to do with the fact that our franchise is trending downwards. Oakland is trending upwards quickly. SD is looking good and has a franchise RB that will give us fits for years to come. At least they lost some really close games where they were competitive and are now winning. We escaped some close games and are falling apart. Meanwhile, all three phases of our game are showing no improvement. The same issues we faced early in the season (slow starts, cannot run, cannot stop the run, dominated in the trenches, discipline, poor playcalling) have not improved, and are being exposed further as teams now know directly what to exploit.

We *do* expect more now than in the 2000s when having a 1500 yard rusher was the end goal. John Elway raised the bar by being the most competitive GM in the game. Peyton Manning raised the bar by leading a historically good offense and demanding a lot out of the people around him. Kubiak may be a player-favorite and a good leader, but he does not raise the bar.

The "oh, we won the lombardi" argument is weak, aside from the classical (but correct) response than Wade is the real hero in that department. But there's an even bigger picture than a super bowl (sounds weird?). We have the defensive personnel (for the most part) to be a dynasty, not just win a lucky SB. NE has been great for 15 years now, they did not just settle for one super bowl and defend poor play and poor trends.

We are now seeing the result of what many of us warned about last year- once this defense comes back down to earth, we will be the same type of 8-8 team that characterized us throughout the 2000's, when we were a nuisance at best, and occasionally got deeper into the playoffs only to get a reality check.

It's not going to change, but everyone at the top level are buddy buddies with each other.
    Last edited by cmc0605; 11-07-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Need that run game to work for Kubiak's O to work. We don't have the pieces for it yet.
    I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc0605 View Post
    Last year, I defended almost everything going wrong, and am not a "sky is falling" person. But it is.

The "stop over-reacting" crowd is right that 6-3 isn't the worst thing, but the "over-reaction" has little to do with our record. It has to do with the fact that our franchise is trending downwards. Oakland is trending upwards quickly. SD is looking good and has a franchise RB that will give us fits for years to come. At least they lost some really close games where they were competitive and are now winning. We escaped some close games and are falling apart. Meanwhile, all three phases of our game are showing no improvement. The same issues we faced early in the season (slow starts, cannot run, cannot stop the run, dominated in the trenches, discipline, poor playcalling) have not improved, and are being exposed further as teams now know directly what to exploit.

We *do* expect more now than in the 2000s when having a 1500 yard rusher was the end goal. John Elway raised the bar by being the most competitive GM in the game. Peyton Manning raised the bar by leading a historically good offense and demanding a lot out of the people around him. Kubiak may be a player-favorite and a good leader, but he does not raise the bar.

The "oh, we won the lombardi" argument is weak, aside from the classical (but correct) response than Wade is the real hero in that department. But there's an even bigger picture than a super bowl (sounds weird?). We have the defensive personnel (for the most part) to be a dynasty, not just win a lucky SB. NE has been great for 15 years now, they did not just settle for one super bowl and defend poor play and poor trends.

We are now seeing the result of what many of us warned about last year- once this defense comes back down to earth, we will be the same type of 8-8 team that characterized us throughout the 2000's, when we were a nuisance at best, and occasionally got deeper into the playoffs only to get a reality check.

It's not going to change, but everyone at the top level are buddy buddies with each other.
    Cool Story Bro. We are still in the playoff hunt and until the math says we cant get in we have a shot. Go Broncos!

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Much like Mike Shanahan, the game has past him by. Time to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    Much like Mike Shanahan, the game has past him by. Time to retire.
    Lol at this.

Yeah, Kubiaks system was so bad it won a super bowl last year with a broken qb

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    Lol at this.

Yeah, Kubiaks system was so bad it won a super bowl last year with a broken qb
    Can we please not pin that Super Bowl on the non-existent offense.. Defence (read Wade) won us that SB..

Hate to say it, but at this point, 6-3 isn't a true reflection of this team, and how poor they are in specific areas. If they continue to play this way down the stretch, I don't see them making the playoffs. Can't stop the run, can't run the football, can't protect the QB - There's definitely a lot more cant's than cans at the moment.

The season is not over by any means, however, my take on the playoffs is as follows:

Homefield: All but gone at this point. NE only has a couple games left as possible losses, vs Seattle, @Miami, and @ Denver. The tiebreaker is our only real chance to get this.

1st Round Bye: Not looking great, but I'm convinced that the AFC West winner will have the #2 seed. Still possible.

Division champ: Once again, not looking as promising as in recent years. KC, OAK, and even SD have closed the talent gap. They all still have tough games left, and Denver is still alive, assuming the coaches can get some of these serious issues addressed.

Wild Card: Our best bet IMO. I think we make the playoffs as the 6 seed. Very tough road, but would be totally worth it to go into Foxboro and exorcise our demons there by finally handing them a loss in their own building.

And as much as I'd like to see changes made on the coaching staff sooner rather than later, knee jerk reactions are the signs of a desperate franchise, which Denver is not, and shouldn't be.

Trending downward LOL. Broncos are in great shape for the Future. Ton's of cap space, Lots of Draft Picks. 1st Round QB in the wings. Broncos are playing this perfectly. Rookie QB's and bad OL's are not the best combination. Play a 7th round QB who knows the system.. could end up being a cheap career backup and hope the Defense holds up this year. Next Off Season OL will be addressed in FA. We'll add some DL too. Elway playing it perfectly. This year was always going to be tough with bad cap situation. Have weapons on offense signed for a few years, Have studs on defense signed for a few years with some young promising players as well.

I don't really believe in this team, tbh. It's just the nature of the NFL, repeating as SB champion is extremely rare, especially nowadays.

Honestly, most of the posters on this forum are drama queens and exaggerate every loss. Most of the naysayers are the same posters that didn't believe in the Broncos, last season. I wasn't one of those posters, last year, as I saw a weak AFC that could be won by a hot team, as I repeated throughout the season.

Unfortunately, I feel differently for this season. Not only is it extremely difficult to repeat(the champs have a target on their back, every week), but the Broncos are dealing with reality, in addition to a number of key injuries.

Last year's formula was unsustainable. The Broncos literally had the worst offense to ever win a SB, statistically. Their defense was arguably the best defense in modern NFL history, when you consider the rule changes and the bias towards offense. This team wouldn't have won a SB if they even had just a great defense. They needed a historic defense to win the SB, last year.

The Broncos' D entered last night's game ranked in the top 3 defensively, overall. The unit is still great, when healthy. However, they are no longer historic, since the run D is a flaw, which was expected with the key FA losses. The offense is nearly as poor as last year's unit, which was to be expected with a 7th round QB on a minimum salary.

A historic defense + a bad offense = SB contenders
    A good/great defense + a bad offense= borderline playoff team

Great post, I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
    Hate to say it, but at this point, 6-3 isn't a true reflection of this team, and how poor they are in specific areas. If they continue to play this way down the stretch, I don't see them making the playoffs. Can't stop the run, can't run the football, can't protect the QB - There's definitely a lot more cant's than cans at the moment.
    I agree with both of these posts. At this point I don't see things getting better. They're getting worse and I don't see anyone changing things.

ST - we keep running the ball out putting ourselves in horrible field position series after series, game after game. Joe D. Do something about this.

Defense is our bread and butter but we're too reliant, plus with the loss of players we can't stop the run. Wade - fix this.

Offense sucks eggs. Kubiak you need to tell Barone to do something about the line NOW.

Knapp - you need to help Trevor to not be skittish or keep checking down, if possible.

Dennison - sorry you need to go. Or learn new plays or get creative or do something. I'm sick of your plays.

WRsTEs - you need to earn your money; catch the damn ball especially DT. If you want to be lethargic, bored, not fight for yards, ask for a trade.

Kubiak you may need to adjust the scheme and realize it's not working. Or not being executed. I don't care which. Fix it.

Elway it's time to have a come to Jesus.

I for one am not going to abandon ship on this team. This is the growing pains you go through when you have inexperience at the most critical position on the field. Why is Lynch not playing? Because Elway is willing to sacrifice this years team for what's best for the franchise. Meaning he is looking down the road and trying to make this organization a contender for years to come. Not a flash in the pan team. The bright side is they have the core players locked up for a few more years and the team as I whole is still very young. Especially on the offensive side of the ball. With all the issues they have, they are still 6-3 and competitive.

It's my understanding the Broncos will have a few extra draft picks and much more money under the cap that should assist with plugging some holes. I don't feel this team is going backwards at all.

Last year's defense was historic. This year's defense is just good(great, when healthy).

The offense hasn't improved, unfortunately.

If the offense can't perform well with the players they have, they need to get creative to overcome their deficiencies. In that right, I can agree we need more creative playcalling. When your players are performing well at their position, at that point you can line up however you want and give it to them but last night was really abysmal. I wouldn't want to be at the facility this week, there's definitely going to be some heavy pressure from JE to get this sorted out.

I'll say one thing for sure, the offense has never developed the kicking and screaming mentality the defense developed. They are very soft and it shows.
    I believe.