• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baphamet
    Family Trust Beer
    • Nov 2006

college players skipping bowl games

i am in absolute support of players doing this and i hope we see more of this in the future. maybe now college football will actually fix their crap bowl system where only 3 games actually count for anything (up from only 1 game that mattered before the 4 team playoff).

why risk your future and millions of dollars on a glorified exhibition game? it's like asking an NFL veteran to play in a pre-season game the day before he become a free agent.

please fix your post season, college football.
  • DenverBlood
    Football Immortal
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    i am in absolute support of players doing this and i hope we see more of this in the future. maybe now college football will actually fix their crap bowl system where only 3 games actually count for anything (up from only 1 game that mattered before the 4 team playoff).

why risk your future and millions of dollars on a glorified exhibition game? it's like asking an NFL veteran to play in a pre-season game the day before he become a free agent.

please fix your post season, college football.
    At minimum it will hopefully at least decrease the 75 million bowl games that FCS teams are now qualifying for.

I mean who benefits from a game that has 60 people in attendance?
    sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
      Banned User
      • Oct 2003

I find it sad that players who ride with their colleges for 2-3 years bail out of the final game. IMO it reflects poorly on them. You could get injured anytime, at any point, you can't let that factor into it. I would be wary of drafting these players who are already thinking of money over football.

It was good to see a couple of rookies come out recently condemning it.

Comment

• DenverBlood
        Football Immortal
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
        I find it sad that players who ride with their colleges for 2-3 years bail out of the final game. IMO it reflects poorly on them. You could get injured anytime, at any point, you can't let that factor into it. I would be wary of drafting these players who are already thinking of money over football.

Do you really think this has ever been about anything but business for them?

Some of these kids already took a huge risk just coming back another year like fournette. And I would imagine his future would be way more weary with a bowl game injury than it is now
        sigpic

Comment

• bronx_2003
          Banned User
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
          Do you really think this has ever been about anything but business for them?

Some of these kids already took a huge risk just coming back another year like fournette. And I would imagine his future would be way more weary with a bowl game injury than it is now
          I don't like the word business. They are focusing on their career and future employment, I get that. I think the vast majority of players in the league also love the game, barring some who purely do it for the money, and played in their college teams bowl game / final game on the season.

Its personal choice but I see it as bailing on your team and I don't like it. If they are prepared to bail now for 'personal reasons' then its a big red flag imo. When they get to the NFL and their team struggles are they going to make a 'business decision' and play at 50% or prolong injuries.

I am glad Jaylon Smith and Zeke Elliott blasted them for bailing on their teams, and yes Smith got injured but players can get injured in any game at any time. Its no reason to bail on your teammates.

Comment

• baphamet
            Family Trust Beer
            • Nov 2006

At minimum it will hopefully at least decrease the 75 million bowl games that FCS teams are now qualifying for.

I mean who benefits from a game that has 60 people in attendance?
            if anything the amount of bowl games will only increase because they are just there to make money and that's it.

Comment

• baphamet
              Family Trust Beer
              • Nov 2006

I don't like the word business.
              what do you think bowl games are? it's purely a money making business and serves no purpose unless it's the 3 playoff games. it's nice for the kids that will be playing in their last football game but for kids that have a future in the NFL, it's a little ridiculous to ask them to risk their future for a meaningless exhibition game.

i get that it looks as if they are turning their back on their teammates but IMO the blame goes on college football for their crappy meaningless bowl system and i think these players doing this is a great thing because maybe now they will actually think about fixing it.

not having star players in the game hurts their pocket book, that's how you get them to listen.

Comment

• DenverBlood
                Football Immortal
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                if anything the amount of bowl games will only increase because they are just there to make money and that's it.
                Who profits off the idaho potato bowl that has 60 fans in attendance? I would think that would be a loss. Although I guess if it was they would cancel it.

But the profits probably only come from tv commercials/sponsorships.
                sigpic

Comment

• CoryWinget81
                  five thousand, 800 and uh
                  • Dec 2006

100% don't blame them. These schools and corporation milk student athletes for everything their worth.

They need to add at least 4 more teams, if not 6 and play in from there.
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Joshua2585
                    All-Pro
                    • Jun 2011

Jalon Smith lost $19 million dollars by playing and getting injured in his bowl game. Yea, bowls are stupid for any player that is confident/think they have a chance to go in the first round.

Comment

• baphamet
                      Family Trust Beer
                      • Nov 2006

Who profits off the idaho potato bowl that has 60 fans in attendance? I would think that would be a loss. Although I guess if it was they would cancel it.

But the profits probably only come from tv commercials/sponsorships.
                      that's exactly what it is, i'm sure any company to have a bowl game named after them would have to pay quite a bit for that. ill admit i don't know the full details of how it works but i do know that is how they generate money and that the schools get money out of it too.

Comment

• baphamet
                        Family Trust Beer
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                        Jalon Smith lost $19 million dollars by playing and getting injured in his bowl game. Yea, bowls are stupid for any player that is confident/think they have a chance to go in the first round.
                        unless they are in the playoff of course. that is why college football needs a real playoff, 12 teams at minimum but probably more like 16 IMO.

Comment

• FL BRONCO
                          Traveling Mod
                          • Mar 2010

The players are protecting themselves and their families. I wouldin't risk it unless it mattered and their games don't. Now if it was the playoffs I would play but given it is meaningless games, I wouldn't chance it.

I like the College playoffs, FINALLY, but they need 8 teams imo. You may have an arguement for being in top 4 when you beat one of the teams and the way it is set up, but if your arguement is 8th to 9th there really is no arguement imo. We will see what happens next.

None of the young guys who aren't in playoff contention should take a chance on loosing so much for meaningless games imo.
                          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Hph5
                            Playmaker
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                            100% don't blame them. These schools and corporation milk student athletes for everything their worth.

They need to add at least 4 more teams, if not 6 and play in from there.
                            UCF is with you.

Comment

Working...
                            X