Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have great respect for Wade Phillips and think he's a very good DC, but too many people act like he's the only DC, and that if the Broncos go a different direction they're done. In 2012 a DC that many Denver fans hated had a defense that was almost statistically equal to the 2015 regular season. I say that not to minimize what Phillips did, he has done a very good job in Denver (excellent in 2015, not as good this year) but the talent is there, another DC could also get a lot out of them.

Should they choose to go that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but he is still human and should get some consideration at the very least. He did coordinate one of the most successful defenses in NFL history last year only to be just dismissed so off hand by his GM 1 year removed from that accomplishment. That has got to sting pretty bad.

He wasn't dismissed, his contract expired, and the Broncos said they want to retain him. Also a guy who has failed at 3 head coaching jobs and describes himself as a pretty lousy head coach, probably doesn't care much that he's not getting consideration for the job. Not too mention that he will be 70 next season and wouldn't be a long term HC if he were given the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I believe Vance Joseph chooses to retain him!
    I don't believe Vance will be the HC. But to each their own.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    This isn't difficult.

Elway knows all he has to do to ensure Phillips remains with the team is to hire Lady Gaga.
    It is my understanding that Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta aka Lady Gaga is a NY Giants fan.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I have a gut feeling that Wade Phillips' name may come up during Elway's interviews with HC prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    I have great respect for Wade Phillips and think he's a very good DC, but too many people act like he's the only DC, and that if the Broncos go a different direction they're done. In 2012 a DC that many Denver fans hated had a defense that was almost statistically equal to the 2015 regular season. I say that not to minimize what Phillips did, he has done a very good job in Denver (excellent in 2015, not as good this year) but the talent is there, another DC could also get a lot out of them.

Should they choose to go that direction.
    The problem on D this year was defending the run. Contributing factors were: loss of quality starters on the D-Line and Inside Backers; and opponents not having to play from behind due to lack of point production by the Offense. Wade did a great job adjusting to the Counter rushing attack he encountered at Cincy this season, so there is nothing wrong with his scheme for run D.

While it is true that Wade Phillips isn't the only DC, he has chemistry with Denver's defensive players who love playing within his system. If it is important for the likes of Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian to have an offense compatible with what they learned under Kubiak, it is also important to have defensive continuity, if possible.

All defensive coordinators do is study offenses. They are familiar with more different kinds of offenses than most offensive coordinators. I like seeing old DCs with gray hair. They got that way probably as a result of all the scary stuff they had to scout and defend. Wade has a full head of the stuff which means he has probably seen it all.

I get that a HC wants to bring in his staff, but are you really going to put up number better than Wades defense has? I doubt it. The players love him and taking away that could be crucial

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The problem on D this year was defending the run. Contributing factors were: loss of quality starters on the D-Line and Inside Backers; and opponents not having to play from behind due to lack of point production by the Offense. Wade did a great job adjusting to the Counter rushing attack he encountered at Cincy this season, so there is nothing wrong with his scheme for run D.

While it is true that Wade Phillips isn't the only DC, he has chemistry with Denver's defensive players who love playing within his system. If it is important for the likes of Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian to have an offense compatible with what they learned under Kubiak, it is also important to have defensive continuity, if possible.

All defensive coordinators do is study offenses. They are familiar with more different kinds of offenses than most offensive coordinators. I like seeing old DCs with gray hair. They got that way probably as a result of all the scary stuff they had to scout and defend. Wade has a full head of the stuff which means he has probably seen it all.
    I agree with everything you say, and I would be happy if the Broncos keep Phillips or promote from within if Phillips leaves. But my point was just that the talent is there, with a few additions a new DC (if there is one) also has good chance of being successful with this group.

I would dread if Wade was replaced. The old saying goes leave all that is well and good alone fix the areas that matter and we get back some balance.

It would depend on the coach. Now a first time coach I'd be skeptical about him wanting his own staff and replacing Wade.

If this is a proven coach with a background I'd be more open. However the new regime we get I'd hope it stays in tact for a while. Nothings worse than going through coaches like we changing underwear. I'd hope we be consistent and give them time.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoyearound View Post
    I would dread if Wade was replaced. The old saying goes leave all that is well and good alone fix the areas that matter and we get back some balance.

It would depend on the coach. Now a first time coach I'd be skeptical about him wanting his own staff and replacing Wade.

If this is a proven coach with a background I'd be more open. However the new regime we get I'd hope it stays in tact for a while. Nothings worse than going through coaches like we changing underwear. I'd hope we be consistent and give them time.
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

He wasn't dismissed, his contract expired, and the Broncos said they want to retain him. Also a guy who has failed at 3 head coaching jobs and describes himself as a pretty lousy head coach, probably doesn't care much that he's not getting consideration for the job. Not too mention that he will be 70 next season and wouldn't be a long term HC if he were given the job.
    Right. Rationalize all you like. He still has pride. Contract or no contract, Elway dismissed the possibility of even considering him, or anyone else on the staff, for the HC job. My guess is that doesn't sit well with a lot of them, including Wade. Whether they are the correct fit or not is not the point.
    ”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin

Right. Rationalize all you like. He still has pride. Contract or no contract, Elway dismissed the possibility of even considering him, or anyone else on the staff, for the HC job. My guess is that doesn't sit well with a lot of them, including Wade. Whether they are the correct fit or not is not the point.
    If I'm rationalizing then you're just making assumptions based on how you think someone might feel. For all you know Elway and Phillips had a conversation about it and he said no. None of us know. As for the other coaches, who on the staff should be considered? Joe Decamillis? or Rick Dennison? Cause those are the only other two who make sense.

And if Phillips was going to let pride get in the way, he never would have come back to Denver in the first place.

And yet here's a story about how Phillips wants to stay in Denver. I guess he got over things quickly....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-unemployed/

And yet here's a story about how Phillips wants to stay in Denver. I guess he got over things quickly....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-unemployed/
    He tweeted that he wants to stay:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonofbum/...38254172454912

Wade Phillips was on with Gil Whitely talking about his future with the Broncos-

“We’ve been told is when we get a new head coach we’ll be able to interview, but I went through that at Houston,” said Phillips, “and that was about a 30-second interview.”

“There’s no guarantees here, but that’s a coach’s life,” he said. “We won 24 games in two years and a Super Bowl, and [I] might not have a job.”

“That’s just the way it is,” he opined. “Hopefully my resume is good enough that I can get another one [job]. If not here, somewhere.”

Link to full story/interview-

http://milehighsports.com/wade-phill...future-denver/