Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    What exactly in the Cleveland Browns has not been a disaster?

That garbage has been counterproductive and a total wasteland for coaches since... 1999?

The best thing Kyle Shanahan did for his career was getting out of that junkyard.

That "franchise" should be shut down TBH.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    There are several head coaches and front offices that respected his coaching skills enough to hire him. Cleveland is a disaster. A bad season involves more than the OC. Obviously the OC plays a significant role however a lot of things played into that season (and every season for that organization). Even in that situation I bet he learned a lot.

Hoyer is responsible for how he plays. The plays called by Shanahan on those INTs could have been the perfect calls - Hoyer needed to execute. Shanahan did not "Do something to Hoyer" - Hoyer has had many opportunities.
    Actually, that year was Shanahan's opportunity to shine with a poor surrounding cast. If the offense improved, he'd get all the glory. But, it didn't - it failed miserably and the offense had many, many stupid calls that were all on the offensive coordinator.

With any new HC there could be ups and downs including a bad season. Look how many ups and downs the team and coaching staff went through on the way to winning SB50. Sure the Broncos had a lot of success but each of the playoff losses and SB loss was a step on the way to the championship.

I would like to see coaching stability over the coming years - even if we have some ups and downs to get to the next championship. It would be great to roll right into several great seasons again but sometimes that doesn't happen.
    There won't be any stability or championships with Shanahan. You will see your team fall apart - guaranteed. Next year you will have a tremendous drop in the quality of your play - i'd say probably 5 or 6 wins, at most. Then, after that, you'll end up with one of the worst records in the NFL vying with the impostors for the first pick for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Actually, that year was Shanahan's opportunity to shine with a poor surrounding cast. If the offense improved, he'd get all the glory. But, it didn't - it failed miserably and the offense had many, many stupid calls that were all on the offensive coordinator.

There won't be any stability or championships with Shanahan. You will see your team fall apart - guaranteed. Next year you will have a tremendous drop in the quality of your play - i'd say probably 5 or 6 wins, at most. Then, after that, you'll end up with one of the worst records in the NFL vying with the impostors for the first pick for the foreseeable future.
    None of us can predict the future. The Broncos were 11-17 with McDaniels - difficult to take but it was part of the journey to the third Lombardi.

Kyle Shanahan may or may not be a good HC. Only time will tell and we'll have to see where he lands.

LOL Kyle only spent 1 season in that dumpster. Players were learning that scheme for the first time and one of them was a drunk QB. Their best WR was suspended for the 2014 season. The 1st-round QB was so high he had to enter rehab in 2015. Oh and let's not forget the inept GM texting from the luxury box telling Kyle which plays should be called on the field.

Kyle's predecessor, Norv Turner, was fired after 1 season. Kyle's successor, John DeFilippo, was also fired after 1 season. That's the Cleveland Browns. Nothing develops there. Only sadness.
    http://forums.denverbroncos.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=349348&dateline=13355  71607

We went back to our roots and won a SB when we took Kubes. He became 1st head coach to win a SB with team he played for if I"m not mistaken. How great would it be if we did it again and Kyle became 1st HC to win a SB with team his Dad won a SB with

I've already stated why I like him. As for his time in Cleaveland: Who has gone there and done well?

Its Cleaveland.

He seems to be doing very well now, now that he finally has a qb and a quality organization behind him imo.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 01-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    We went back to our roots and won a SB when we took Kubes. He became 1st head coach to win a SB with team he played for if I"m not mistaken. How great would it be if we did it again and Kyle became 1st HC to win a SB with team his Dad won a SB with

I've already stated why I like him. As for his time in Cleaveland: Who has gone there and done well?

Its Cleaveland.

He seems to be doing very well now, now that he finally has a qb and a quality organization behind him imo.
    Kyle Shanahan: A Football Life - From Ball Boy to Championship Coach of the Denver Broncos

Has a nice ring.

I like Kyle, Vance and Toub - not sure which would be the best fit and we'll have to trust John Elway on this one. I like the idea of Kyle helping offense take the top off of opposing defenses. Get the defense back to defending the run and we could see some amazing football.

I do believe if his last name wasn't shanahan many of you wouldn't you be pounding your fist for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    I do believe if his last name wasn't shanahan many of you wouldn't you be pounding your fist for the guy.
    Using his last name is also a simple way to make a case against him. Since his first job as a graduate assistant at UCLA to the OC of the Falcons, he has worked at developing his skills.

I think for some it goes well beyond his name. The offense has struggled for two seasons and fans want to see that change. People believe he can help the franchise. Sure his name brings some familiarity - it's not a bad thing that he's Mike Shanahan's son.

All of the candidates have unique talents and experiences.

Weren't the Browns 7-4 the year he was there and on pace to be a WC team, until the owner basically forced Kyle to play Manziel, thus starting their 5-game skid?

Quote Originally Posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
    That may be true. But that has as much to do with, atleast in my beliefs, his offensive philosophies as anything else. Yep he is Mikes son which is cool. But it also means he has been being trained very young in very similar philosophies. He runs a similar offense both to Mike and to what we are trying to do and is very successful at it. He in fact has further developed it since his father and tweeked it himself. What that means for us is we could keep our successful D and DC and he could jump in with the least amount of disruption on both sides of the ball and move forward without moving backward too much. We still have to retool on talent especially on O. But that is because of personnel not change of scheme. IMO he would make the smoothest transition without us having to take a step back before moving forward. Does that have to do with his name. Yes, cause his Daddy was where he got his start and he shares the similar philosophies which our GM also seems to share. So yes his name does have something to do with it both in sentimentality and practicality imo.That is part of what makes it the best fit for us and him.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 01-05-2017 at 06:55 PM.

CHILDREN ARE THE RAINBOW OF LIFE
    GRANDCHILDREN ARE THE POT OF GOLD

Quote Originally Posted by flosstein View Post
    Weren't the Browns 7-4 the year he was there and on pace to be a WC team, until the owner basically forced Kyle to play Manziel, thus starting their 5-game skid?
    They were 7-4 and lost the last 5 games. I think Hoyer and Manziel played in 2 of those losses then Manziel had the last 3 games IIRC.

Those who support Kyle Shanahan as HC mention his long experience as OC, the smooth transition his system would provide, the work he's done with QBs, his familiarity with this coaching staff, the way he schemed against the Broncos defense...

I only see those who don't want Kyle as HC use his last name as a factor...

Quote Originally Posted by -Rod- View Post
    Those who support Kyle Shanahan as HC mention his long experience as OC, the smooth transition his system would provide, the work he's done with QBs, his familiarity with this coaching staff, the way he schemed against the Broncos defense...

I only see those who don't want Kyle as HC use his last name as a factor...
    ...and he's 37 so he must be like McDaniels.

Using his last name is also a simple way to make a case against him. Since his first job as a graduate assistant at UCLA to the OC of the Falcons, he has worked at developing his skills.

I think for some it goes well beyond his name. The offense has struggled for two seasons and fans want to see that change. People believe he can help the franchise. Sure his name brings some familiarity - it's not a bad thing that he's Mike Shanahan's son.

All of the candidates have unique talents and experiences.
    The Browns OC job was the first coaching gig he got that wasn't because of his Daddy. Its not like he went off and did his own thing. He leveraged his name and Dads relationships to get his jobs. So when people talk about his "vast OC experience" its a little much. He was a clipboard holder for Kubes and his Dad as they called plays. Although his Dad started working Kyle in more and more in that department.

Fact is Kyle has had 1 very successful year as an OC. Kyle may or may not be hired. But to say his resume is vastly superior to other candidates is a little far fetched. On paper? Maybe, but if you dig into the details its not.

His personality really scares me. I read him as a notch below McD in all phases. Including ego and X's & O's. We shall see. I trust Elway and team to make the right decision. If he is hired I will support him, but he has me skeptical.

...and he's 37 so he must be like McDaniels.
    Yep. That's a ridiculous comparison. "Young, OC on the rise... Oh, they're the same!"

McDaniels only had 3 years of experience as an OC when he became head coach and all he has ever known is the Bill Belichick way. So, he tried to be Hoodie Jr. in Denver and control everything when there wasn't a strong GM in place. That's very different from the situation Kyle Shanahan would meet in Denver today with Elway in charge.

Kyle has been an OC for 9 seasons under 4 head coaches. He's much more experienced in the NFL than the 2009 version of McDaniels. Kyle has worked with his dad Mike, Gary Kubiak and Dan Quinn. At least Kubiak and Quinn are well known for being players' coaches and Kyle has seen how they take care of the roster.

I believe there's a good chance that Kyle has learned much better people skills than McDaniels during his years in the NFL. If we're comparing Kyle to Josh McDaniels in terms of football IQ, fine. But people skills, handling a locker room? I don't think so.

I am sure Elway would not even fly with his crew to Atlanta to interview Kyle if he knew Kyle is a jackass like McDaniels. The Broncos leaked Kyle Shanahan as a HC candidate 1 minute after the Kubiak press conference was over. If Elway is so much interested in Kyle, I have no doubt he believes Kyle has what it takes to lead a team.