Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I like Corn Elder as a prospect CB, Jalen Robinette as a DT clone, Jonnu Smith seems like a good TE later, and Shaquill Griffin from UCF. He is probably my favorite sleeper CB.

Samaje Perine, Jamaal Williams and Brian Hill could be sleeper RB prospects.

Shaquill Griffin and Damontae Kazee could be considered sleeper CB prospects.

Blair Brown is an Inside Backer who could be a sleeper pick.

George Kittle might be considered a sleeper TE prospect.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

From NFL.com a list of prospects linked to the Broncos

ospects associated with the Broncos:
    C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa: Spotted with Broncos at Senior Bowl
    Harvey Langi, LB, BYU: Spotted with Broncos at Senior Bowl
    Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford: Versatile RB will visit Broncos
    Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma: Reportedly visits Broncos
    Derek Rivers, DE, Youngstown State: Report: Rivers visits Broncos
    Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama: Reportedly sets visit with Broncos
    Jamari Staples, WR, Louisville: Spotted with Broncos at Senior Bowl
    T.J. Watt, LB, Wisconsin Broncos host Watt for visit
    Marquez White, CB, Florida State: Spotted with Broncos at Senior Bowl
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Broncos: Garett Bolles

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    5ft11 and 186 lbs.....no thanks.
    Lol. Jourdan Lewis is arguable the best corner in this class. His instincts are second to none. Best tape I've seen on any CB coming out this year but hey he's 5 '11 so he must not be good right. Please. If he was 6'1 he would be a top 10 pick

I was watching an interesting show called Sports Science and this was the Combine edition. They showed athletic metrics on players that exceeded other top athletes in the NFL. I guess you might call some of these players sleepers even though some are popular, many are outside the top four or five that you keep hearing about.

Now I don't know if these guys will be stars in the NFL but if these metrics are meaningful they might.

What they showed on a few QBs.

Deshone Kizer
    Throwing release time of the three at 0.36 sec (considered very fast, league average 0.40 sec)
    Of the three, his mechanics make him prone to throw more inaccurate passes.

Mitchell Trubisky
    Throwing release time of the three at 0.41 sec

Deshaun Watson:
    Throwing release time of the three at 0.35 sec (quickest) which is as fast as Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes
    Has one of the strongest arms ever tested (same as Jameis Winston)
    Excellent measurables (accuracy) when under pressure

Chad Kelly
    Considered the best arm in the draft as far as accuracy.
    At 10 yards throwing threw target circles he was 19/19 and was 10/10 from 15 yards a Sports Science record
    His numbers after all the tests are the highest in all QBs tested in the last 6 years.

RBs
    Leonard Fournette
    Can get to 75% of his full speed in 4 strides
    Force = Mass * Acceleration
    He is bigger than most RBs at 228lbs and with his speed (~15mph) he delivers one of the hardest hits on contact (1,733lbs of force)

Christian McCafferey
    Able to cover 10 yards in 1.60 secs from a standstill, as a punt returner that is amazing. Antonio Brown's time is 1.66 sec.
    On acceleration, he will take up to 7 strides per second. 45% faster than the fastest WRs in this year's draft John Ross who took 4.8 steps per sec.

Alvin Kamara
    Ties record for the highest Max Vertical at 45 inches, this ties the NBA combine players that were tested too.
    With a test made specifically for RBs where at the end they hurl over a cross bar (like an endzone leap) he beat the record set by Adrian Peterson who set the record of 6ft which stood for 5 years. Alvin cleared the bar set at 6ft 1/4 inch by 7 inches!
    Height and weight is in the zone of the best backs to play the game

Dalvin Cook
    Fastest recognition time when looking for the hole to run through.
    He takes only 3ft strides as compared to others who take 6ft strides which allows him to make quick cuts, spin moves, etc..
    Second fastest acceleration speed in the last 5 years
    Height and weight is in the zone of the best backs to play the game

Other notables are:
    WR Josh Malone - Gifted route running, catchable range
    WR Josh Reynolds - Height catching range
    DB Marlon Humphrey - Amazing closing speed and take off speed
    DB Jamal Adams - very good catchup speed, can generate big impact force in three strides
    DE Carl Lawsom - powerful!
    DE Haason Reddick - powerful, fast through blocks!
    CB Quincy Wilson
    CB Kelvin King
    TE David Njoku - huge catch radius
    WR John Ross - speed, acceleration (no surprise here)
    WR Mike Williams - NBA measurables, he is cross dominant (can make 1 handed catches with either hand)
    Last edited by haciendadad; 04-16-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
    Lol. Jourdan Lewis is arguable the best corner in this class. His instincts are second to none. Best tape I've seen on any CB coming out this year but hey he's 5 '11 so he must not be good right. Please. If he was 6'1 he would be a top 10 pick
    In some respects that is my point. I do believe that the 5ft11 CB has a place but I believe it will be a very challenging road ahead. Look at the overall size of the WR'S and TE's in this year's class. They are pretty big and tall all around. Also of note theyre putting up track star numbers at the combine. ...

So I believe that in the mid and long term the sub 6 foot CB will likely continue to struggle unless they are an exceptionally rare talent...obviously JMO.

I haven't seen all the posts so these may have been mentioned?

Florida LB Alex Anzalone ... Has a bad injury history but maybe that is behind him. Pretty decent measurables … 4.62 40, 4.25 20 yard shuttle, 6.88 3 cone. You could say he is "quicker" than, for instance Reddick but slower in the 40 by .10 seconds. Only 10 starts with FL partly due to injury - but he did look good at the Sr. Bowl stopping the run. He looks to be maybe a 4th/5th round selection - according to many mocks.

CU DE/OLB Jimmie Gilbert ... He was named to the Associated Press All-America third-team, becoming the first Buffalo to earn any honors from AP since Ryan Miller at offensive guard in 2011. He was a first-team All-Pac-12. He led the team in multiple categories including tackles for a loss (14), third down stops (22, setting a school record for most third-down stops in a season), quarterback hurries (16) and quarterback chasedowns (6). His size is not ideal for the NFL, only ~230lbs but is listed as ~6'5" so maybe he can increase his weight some; he ran somewhere between 4.57 and a 4.64 40 at their "pro day"; he would probably only project at LB in the NFL without adding like 30lbs of weight. Played all over the defense, OLB primarily but experience dropping and playing over the slot, used almost exclusively in zone coverage but good feel for routes and ability to reroute receivers funneling into his spot. He could be an ILB prospect probably available in the 7th round? I saw a mock having him drafted in the 6th but I think he might be a UDFA?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    In some respects that is my point. I do believe that the 5ft11 CB has a place but I believe it will be a very challenging road ahead. Look at the overall size of the WR'S and TE's in this year's class. They are pretty big and tall all around. Also of note theyre putting up track star numbers at the combine. ...

So I believe that in the mid and long term the sub 6 foot CB will likely continue to struggle unless they are an exceptionally rare talent...obviously JMO.
    Look at many of the top corners. You might be surprised to find out that they're sub 6'. Our own Chris Harris jr. is 5'10". Roby is 5'11. I posted earlier in this thread that 6 of the top 10 rated corners in November were under 6 foot. So, I can confidently say that being 5'11 is not a big deal for a corner. It appears that talent and instincts is significantly more of an indicator of how effective a corner will be over height.

While you can argue that it prevents them from covering some taller receivers as well, Shawinkerpoppin pointed out earlier that a lot of receivers are also becoming smaller and shiftier, so taller corners are struggling with covering them.

Seems to even out to me.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 04-16-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    Look at many of the top corners. You might be surprised to find out that they're sub 6'. Our own Chris Harris jr. is 5'10". If you've got it, an inch or two isn't going to be that big of a deal.
    I agree with you. But if I was building a team/defense I would want my CBs to be 6' or greater when looking at that measurement. There are many, many exceptions though and it would be foolish not to consider other attributes a player may offer. One of the greatest CBs of all time was only 5'8/9" - Darrell Green of the Redskins. I just had to mention Darrell.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    I agree with you. But if I was building a team/defense I would want my CBs to be 6' or greater when looking at that measurement. There are many, many exceptions though and it would be foolish not to consider other attributes a player may offer. One of the greatest CBs of all time was only 5'8/9" - Darrell Green of the Redskins. I just had to mention Darrell.
    I would want mine to be fast, quick, agile, and have great ball skills

Anyone said Nathan Gerry out of Nebraska yet? Reminds me of Harrison Smith without some athleticism. Looks like a pure inside the box safety with excellent ball skills. Range and covering TE's is a question, but he could be Ward's eventual replacement.

I'm fine if you want your corner to be above 6', if they have the necessary skills to go with it. But, to say no thanks to a corner just because he's 5'11 is a tad ridiculous to me. Like who cares if he's 5'11 with some of the best skills the NFL had to offer? and is 5'11 really that much different than 6'? It's one inch. What if the 5'11 corner had longer arms?

I'm glad you pointed out Darrell green. Rod Woodson was only 5'11. Ty law was as well.

Many other greats that were exactly 6'0. So, again, I ask if the one inch is really that big of a deal to the point where you can say "no thanks, he's 5'11" without knowing anything else about him?

Jeremy McNichols can probably be had in the 3rd and brings a similar skill set as McCaffrey

Quote Originally Posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
    I'm fine if you want your corner to be above 6', if they have the necessary skills to go with it. But, to say no thanks to a corner just because he's 5'11 is a tad ridiculous to me. Like who cares if he's 5'11 with some of the best skills the NFL had to offer? and is 5'11 really that much different than 6'? It's one inch. What if the 5'11 corner had longer arms?

I'm glad you pointed out Darrell green. Rod Woodson was only 5'11. Ty law was as well.

Many other greats that were exactly 6'0. So, again, I ask if the one inch is really that big of a deal to the point where you can say "no thanks, he's 5'11" without knowing anything else about him?
    I said that I agree with you. So no, 1 or even 2 inches in many cases is not a big deal ... I think I said it would be foolish not to consider other attributes that a player offers. Maybe I should emphasize that WHEN LOOKING AT THAT MEASUREMENT (how tall is a player) it would be nice if that player is 6' or greater. Wait, I already said that!

I said that I agree with you. So no, 1 or even 2 inches in many cases is not a big deal ... I think I said it would be foolish not to consider other attributes that a player offers. Maybe I should emphasize that WHEN LOOKING AT THAT MEASUREMENT (how tall is a player) it would be nice if that player is 6' or greater. Wait, I already said that!
    I think you're confusing my argumentative part of the comment as being aimed toward you. It was not. It's aimed at the poster that I referenced saying "no thanks". The only part of my comment actually directed specifically to you was you saying you prefer them taller. I Which, I was saying that's fine, I understand. And then when I used your reference to Green to continue to provide reasons as to why being under 6' shouldn't garner a "no thanks" response by the previous poster. I apologize for the confusion.
    Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 04-16-2017 at 10:01 PM.