Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

If the Broncos moved to a different city, would you still be a fan?

Hi Broncos fans,

SAN DIEGO Chargers fan here, dealing with the devastation of having my heart ripped out yesterday. I am trying to figure out what to do. I am devastated by the move. On the other hand, I have followed and loved my team through thick and thin (mostly thin) for 30 years, and I could never root for another team. I just could not do it. I am considering remaining a fan and just trying to ignore the fact that they no longer represent my city.

So I thought I would reach out and ask all of you what you would do if you were in my situation. Obviously, the Broncos will never leave Denver, and so you will never have to worry about being in my situation. But if, God forbid, the unthinkable happened and the Broncos moved to a new city, what would you do? What should I do?

Thank you all.

Of course . I live in enemy territory in Boston. Can't more any more enemy territory than that.

I would not be a fan if that happened with the Broncos. In fact I likely would move on from being an NFL fan as I am not a huge fan of the NFL nowadays anyway. Every year I like the NFL less.

I see it as very disappointing that the Chargers are leaving San Diego and going to L.A. ... that city doesn't deserve 2 teams. I think Las Vegas should get a team.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissMarty View Post
    Hi Broncos fans,

SAN DIEGO Chargers fan here, dealing with the devastation of having my heart ripped out yesterday. I am trying to figure out what to do. I am devastated by the move. On the other hand, I have followed and loved my team through thick and thin (mostly thin) for 30 years, and I could never root for another team. I just could not do it. I am considering remaining a fan and just trying to ignore the fact that they no longer represent my city.

So I thought I would reach out and ask all of you what you would do if you were in my situation. Obviously, the Broncos will never leave Denver, and so you will never have to worry about being in my situation. But if, God forbid, the unthinkable happened and the Broncos moved to a new city, what would you do? What should I do?

Thank you all.
    I want to say yes only because I cannot begin to think of not rooting for and following this team I grew up with. But there is a nagging part that can't say for certain only because I am not faced with what Charger's fans are currently experiencing and how I would actually react when faced with the harsh reality of the situation. It is the Denver Broncos after all - not the Denver NFL club or just the Broncos. The community is as much a part of the what makes the team that separating the two seems, to me, almost to make them in to a different team.

So I really can't honestly answer that but I know this, I'd be torn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    I want to say yes only because I cannot begin to think of not rooting for and following this team I grew up with. But there is a nagging part that can't say for certain only because I am not faced with what Charger's fans are currently experiencing and how I would actually react when faced with the harsh reality of the situation. It is the Denver Broncos after all - not the Denver NFL club or just the Broncos. The community is as much a part of the what makes the team that separating the two seems, to me, almost to make them in to a different team.

So I really can't honestly answer that but I know this, I'd be torn.
    I definitely understand this response. Our owner has been talking about needing a new stadium for 16 years. So it has always been something that I knew could happen. But I never knew how I would actually react. Now that I am faced with the reality of the situation, I am torn regarding what to do. I cannot imagine my life without Chargers football, just as you likely cannot imagine your life without Broncos football. I am leaning towards remaining a fan, just because I cannot imagine my life without my team. But you are right, the community is a huge part of what makes up the team. To no longer have my team representing my city is devastated.

I'd be disappointed, but I'd still be just as big of a fan. I've never lived in Denver or Colorado; so it's geographical location doesn't mean much to me.

Yes. Like others I do think live in or near Denver anyway. And it's not like LA is far from SD.

I was born and raised in Detroit. Currently living in SC. Where the Broncos are located has nothing to do with me supporting them. So if they did move, it wouldn't change a thing for me.

You know I would probably have to lean to the Packers as they are such a small market team. And I believe the fans are part owners or something unique like that.
    They are not the typical NFL franchise and I like to think of myself as non-typical too.

Nope, I'd move on from football. I grew up in Colorado Springs and my lifelong dream is to make it back to Colorado someday. Unfortunately I work in the power generation field which is pretty confined to the east coast. Pretty sure a lot of my loyalty to the team is also driven by my love of Colorado. I'm getting pretty disenchanted with football recently anyways, maybe the SB win filled a void for me. I missed a few broncos games this season, I turned a few off early, and I didn't play fantasy football. All those things would have been unthinkable for me in the past. Something like the Broncos moving out of state would be enough for me to wash my hands of it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by IMissMarty View Post
    Hi Broncos fans,

Thank you all.
    I would still be a fan. I would encourage you to do the same. You can still watch your team on NFL Sunday Ticket or some other way. Plus, you can still interact with other Chargers fans on message boards. I myself live in Colorado, but I know many fans on this board don't. It's much easier to be a fan of a team in a different city than it was 30 years ago with no internet and little in the way of cable tv.

No.

My heart is with Denver and Colorado. Broncos is my biggest passion in sports, I support it over my own country's national football team and it will remain that way as long as it stays where it is. I just cannot support a team that isn't physically based within the state of Colorado, not possible. Sorry.
    Last edited by BroncosDivision; 01-13-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

I would not. For me, I’m a fan because of my early years living in Colorado. It’s something that represents those years for me.
    I’m a Broncos fan because I’m pulling for Colorado, as weird as that may sound. I actually grew up here in Houston, an Oiler fan.
    I was devoted. When they left for Tennessee, I was done. I wasn’t going to pull for ownership that left my town without a team.
    Hope it’s not an issue. Hope the Bowlen family maintains ownership, and they never leave Colorado.
    Go Broncos!!!
    Former Colorado resident, stuck in Texas. Broncos fan since 1987

Marty, what's more important to you? That's the question you need to ask yourself. We're all different, maybe you can find a way to still support the Chargers despite playing in/for another city. I can't but it doesn't need to be black and white. Hopefully it isn't for you.
    Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Honestly, I'm not sure. My first instinct is that I would probably quit watching football altogether. I'd probably still follow the Buffs, but not NFL.

My only hesitation in saying that is that I have friends all over the country who are huge fans of teams like the Patriots and Steelers and Bills (He's a true fan).

I don't know what we would talk about if I couldn't intelligently talk football anymore.

I'd probably make new friends with the millions of dollars I'd make by not spending all the time on football that I spend now.

Fingers crossed I never have to find out. Go Broncos!